How good of a fit would a Denon AVR-X3500H be for me?

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I picked up a Denon AVR-S750H on sale at Costco to give us an upgrade from our nine year old 1912. In the long run I will probably repurpose the AVR-S750H to my wife’s music system and get an upgrade for our main HT/Music system that is in the media room in our new house.

Serious music listening will be done off CDs and the home theatre sources will be a Roku, a 4K player and cable. Eventually we might do a couple of Atmos speakers.

We will have a 4K TV for viewing.

I like the idea of upgrading the room correction to MultEq XT32 and a refurb of the AVR-X3500H from A4L seems like the least expensive option available.

Any comments on how good of a fit the X3500H would be for me?

Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked up a Denon AVR-S750H on sale at Costco to give us an upgrade from our nine year old 1912. In the long run I will probably repurpose the AVR-S750H to my wife’s music system and get an upgrade for our main HT/Music system that is in the media room in our new house.

Serious music listening will be done off CDs and the home theatre sources will be a Roku, a 4K player and cable. Eventually we might do a couple of Atmos speakers.

We will have a 4K TV for viewing.

I like the idea of upgrading the room correction to MultEq XT32 and a refurb of the AVR-X3500H from A4L seems like the least expensive option available.

Any comments on how good of a fit the X3500H would be for me?

Thanks.
It will be a good choice but if you intend to do Atmos later, I highly recommend the AVR-X3600H, for just $100 more.

DENON AVR-X3600H 9.2-Ch x 105 Watts A/V Receiver w/HEOS | Accessories4less

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is a valid point- I will take it under advisement.

Thanks.
I think you'll like the 3500, but I do agree with PENG. I think it's worth the extra 100 to be a little more current, and offer a little more room for expansion down the road.

*PS, that is if they get more stock. Looks like they don't have a 3600 available right now.
*PPS, this Marantz SR6014 for $899 is right in line with Denon's 35-3600 series receivers with similar power specs, atmos and MultEQ XT32.

Last edited:
B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I think you'll like the 3500, but I do agree with PENG. I think it's worth the extra 100 to be a little more current, and offer a little more room for expansion down the road.

*PS, that is if they get more stock. Looks like they don't have a 3600 available right now.
*PPS, this Marantz SR6014 for $899 is right in line with Denon's 35-3600 series receivers with similar power specs, atmos and MultEQ XT32.

Thanks for suggesting a practical alternative.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast

Hi,
I have an X3500H. I tried to use the tone option to adjust the treble while having Dynamic EQ turned off. It works and I can tell the difference when I play stereo content (I know why). Anyway, my problem is the stability of this option. Let's say I turn the option tone on when using source input A. If I switch to input B and then switch back to input A, tone is turned off. Not only that is turned off, but when I go into that option the bass and tremble are both set to 0. So it looks like changing the source input resets the tone option completely. Any idea why?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,
I have an X3500H. I tried to use the tone option to adjust the treble while having Dynamic EQ turned off. It works and I can tell the difference when I play stereo content (I know why). Anyway, my problem is the stability of this option. Let's say I turn the option tone on when using source input A. If I switch to input B and then switch back to input A, tone is turned off. Not only that is turned off, but when I go into that option the bass and tremble are both set to 0. So it looks like changing the source input resets the tone option completely. Any idea why?
We've been missing Pogre for a while now unfortunately. Have you tried using a quick select button to keep settings for the input with the tone controls as you prefer? Or maybe use the graphic eq? It sounds like you're using the option button which is more a temporary setting, so makes sense it reverts when you change inputs.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
We've been missing Pogre for a while now unfortunately. Have you tried using a quick select button to keep settings for the input with the tone controls as you prefer? Or maybe use the graphic eq? It sounds like you're using the option button which is more a temporary setting, so makes sense it reverts when you change inputs.
I don’t use the Denon's remote control. I like the Fire TV stick one better. I use ot to control all my devices, as much as it can. I set the tone on the Denon app for Android.
I don't think the graphic EQ works when Audissey is turned on. I like the idea of using the tone on top of Auddisey because I can make small adjustments when I fell I need it without tweeking Auddisey curves.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t use the Denon's remote control. I like the Fire TV stick one better. I use ot to control all my devices, as much as it can. I set the tone on the Denon app for Android.
I don't think the graphic EQ works when Audissey is turned on. I like the idea of using the tone on top of Auddisey because I can make small adjustments when I fell I need it without tweeking Auddisey curves.
Neither tone control nor graphic eq can be used in conjunction with Audyssey afaik. I don't use the Denon app, tho.

ps but with my firestick remotes I couldn't dive that deep into setup (nor particularly want to)---which one do you have?

Last edited:
A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Neither tone control nor graphic eq can be used in conjunction with Audyssey afaik. I don't use the Denon app, tho.

ps but with my firestick remotes I couldn't dive that deep into setup (nor particularly want to)---which one do you have?
The tone control works with Auddisey as long as the Dynamic EQ is off. My problem is not that it doesn't work, but that it resets after I change the input source.

I've been using Fire TV stick remote controls since the early versions. Now I have a 4k max second edition. I like the fire tv stick remote control because all its dedicated buttons plus the voice comand. I don't like having Alexa listened to everything I say. I like it better to use the voice command by pushing a button. Also, HDMI CEC makes everything turn on and off using the fire tv stick remote control.

There's not much to setup the remote control. I have a tv and the AVR. It was able to recognize both fairly easy. One choice is what device sound volume you want the remote control to control.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just tried that tone control in options with dyn eq off with my 4700, not that I usually want tone control and DynEQ simultaneously, but that does work. I think all the options are just like a temporary menu for the input in use at the time, tho. Quick select might be a way to retain a certain set of instructions, just not sure option button choices are part of that.

I've got the HD versions as well as the versions just before that....but was wondering how you got the firestick remote to control things like the option button (or maybe I misunderstood)....the HD version does have the volume and on/off control for avr okay but that's pretty much it.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
You're right, the fire tv stick remote control can't replace the Denon one. The only thing it can control is volume and power. I use the Denon app for everything else.

As long as I don't change inputs, the tone settings stay. Even after I turned off the AVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis