Can you use sony tv as center channel with a non sony avr?

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

due to my furniture i cant have a dedicated center speaker and i am sitting very close to a sony 77 inch A95l oled with arcoustic surface. I want to at least try using it as a center speaker. however there is conflicting information if it only works with sony soundbars and systems like the Ht A9 and the new sony ES recevers or also with other receivers. sony says its the former however several people in the forum claim they connected it to a denon receiver without issues. does anyone know for sure?

any answers are appreciated!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

due to my furniture i cant have a dedicated center speaker and i am sitting very close to a sony 77 inch A95l oled with arcoustic surface. I want to at least try using it as a center speaker. however there is conflicting information if it only works with sony soundbars and systems like the Ht A9 and the new sony ES recevers or also with other receivers. sony says its the former however several people in the forum claim they connected it to a denon receiver without issues. does anyone know for sure?

any answers are appreciated!
That is a terrible idea. Using TV speakers facing the wall for a center speaker is just plain bonkers. You will be far better off using your right and left speakers and having a phantom center. Really you never want a center of lower quality than the right and left speakers. If it is, then phantom will always be a better option.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That is a terrible idea. Using TV speakers facing the wall for a center speaker is just plain bonkers. You will be far better off using your right and left speakers and having a phantom center. Really you never want a center of lower quality than the right and left speakers. If it is, then phantom will always be a better option.
I believe that's one of those models that uses Sonys Acoustic Surface tech...(the whole screen is a speaker.)
Better than the usual tiny little speakers, but who knows what the specs are.

• With Acoustic Surface Audio+™ and support for Dolby Atmos®, hear true immersive audio with actuators that vibrate to produce sound from the entire screen perfectly matching the action.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Sony receivers and soundbars have an S-Center Out port for Sony TVs with the S-Center Speaker IN port.
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.27.41 PM.png

You can connect another brand receiver using the Center Speaker terminals from the receiver to the Center Speaker IN terminals on the TV.
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.23.14 PM.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I believe that's one of those models that uses Sonys Acoustic Surface tech...(the whole screen is a speaker.)

• With Acoustic Surface Audio+™ and support for Dolby Atmos®, hear true immersive audio with actuators that vibrate to produce sound from the entire screen perfectly matching the action.
That sounds like a bad idea right at the starting gate!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Apparently all Sony OLEDs have this now. There are four "activators", at least that is what Sony calls them, that vibrate this wafer thin screen. The whole TV is very thin, and apparently there is a so called "subwoofer" in the back of the TV, that produces "thunderous" bass according to the marketing blurb. Count me skeptical. I have now heard enough to know I don't want a Sony OLED even though I would never use that sound system.

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
thanks a lot for the replies.
i heard it and its waaay better than any other tv i ever heard. i will try different options and see what works best.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

thanks a lot for the replies.
i heard it and its waaay better than any other tv i ever heard. i will try different options and see what works best.
Compared to other TVs, there is only one way to go and that's up! I have not listened to TV speakers for years.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
I don't like the idea of a drastically different or inferior speaker technology in the center channel. Reconfigure your AVR without a center speaker so the center channel sound is divided evenly between left and right front. Place the left and right front as close as possible to the left and right edges of the screen.

Before I had a TV that I could mount on the wall I used two channel front with a phantom center.

I don't like the different sound of small horizontal center speakers. Currently I use three Identical tower speakers as front left, center, right.

Even with an identical center speaker, I don't like the sound of left and right speakers too far to the left and right of the screen.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Why !, horrid TV speakers. Kinda wish TV's would have a "delete'" option to purchase without speakers. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why !, horrid TV speakers. Kinda wish TV's would have a "delete'" option to purchase without speakers. ;)
I remember for a while pioneer TVs could be that way. At least most of them allow you to shut them off. I’m a little curious about this new panel actuator system. Theoretically it could be pretty good, although to replace actual speakers…probably not.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
The Sony tv would need speaker binding posts or spring clamps for it to work with any random av receiver.

The Sony a80k we have has only the s center option.

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
Interesting, some people in avs forums say they are running the tv as center speaker with denon 6700h or 4800h avrs and it works fine

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Interesting, some people in avs forums say they are running the tv as center speaker with denon 6700h or 4800h avrs and it works fine
I fail to see how that is possible, as it would require and audio in to the TV from the center pre-out of the receiver. I have never seen a TV with an audio in like that.

I suppose it might be possible to get audio from the receiver and TV at the same time, but that would not be a center channel. I can think of no way to make TV speakers work as a discrete center channel.

The best option for both of you is to buy new furniture.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I fail to see how that is possible, as it would require and audio in to the TV from the center pre-out of the receiver. I have never seen a TV with an audio in like that.

I suppose it might be possible to get audio from the receiver and TV at the same time, but that would not be a center channel. I can think of no way to make TV speakers work as a discrete center channel.

The best option for both of you is to buy new furniture.
Mark, the tv doesn’t use the internal speakers. It has actuators built into the back of the screen. The screen becomes the diaphragm and there’s the speaker itself.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I posted pics of the Center Channel connections included in the A95L. One can use Sony’s S-CENTER SPEAKER IN terminal with Sony soundbars and AVRs or one can use the CENTER SPEAKER IN terminals to connect to other brand AVRs using speaker wire. It has no analog in ports to connect to an AVR’s Center Pre Out.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Mark, the tv doesn’t use the internal speakers. It has actuators built into the back of the screen. The screen becomes the diaphragm and there’s the speaker itself.
I understand that, but it still has to be powered from amps in the TV.

I note that these TVs do have a speaker level input, so I assume there was me a setting to disconnect the TVs internal amps.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understand that, but it still has to be powered from amps in the TV.

I note that these TVs do have a speaker level input, so I assume there was me a setting to disconnect the TVs internal amps.
Is it more like a sub with high level connections?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis