Can you use sony tv as center channel with a non sony avr?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This technology of using a TV panel as a speaker has jogged my memory. Towards the end of his life Peter Walker of Quad became interested in using moving coil exciters to produce sound from a flat panel, as an alternative to ESLs.

Now I have found the paper out of Huntingdon, Quad's headquarters and factory, concerning DSLs. (Distributed Mode Loudspeakers). This was presented at the UK AES, I suspect around 2000. Peter did tell me he had filed patents, but sold them as his health failed. I think he sold them to NXT who did produce some flat panel speakers using this technology.

Until this thread I was not aware of anyone using this approach to generate sound from a TV screen. That really is a novel application. The polar response is figure of 8 like an electrostatic. So there is the same power emitted from and back, with the front and back radiation 180 degrees out of phase. So there is a null at the sides.

G

Goldhasmter916

Audioholic Intern
I appreciate the discussion. From what I gathered you can indeed use the newer Sony oleds with their acoustic surface sound design as a center speakers regardless of receiver. However the Sony receivers have the option to sync the tv with the center speaker for which the sync in port on the Sony tvs is.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
There are some things to consider when using the S-CENTER SPEAKER IN jack to connect a Sony receiver to the A95L TV and use the Acoustic Center Sync function. HDMI Control must be ON for it to function and there are some speaker configurations that will not be applicable when using it.

While HDMI-CEC may work fine when using a Sony receiver in combination with a Sony TV, the requirement to have it on when using the S-CENTER SPEAKER IN jack would be enough for some to choose not to use it. Results will vary of course.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
This technology of using a TV panel as a speaker has jogged my memory. Towards the end of his life Peter Walker of Quad became interested in using moving coil exciters to produce sound from a flat panel, as an alternative to ESLs.

Now I have found the paper out of Huntingdon, Quad's headquarters and factory, concerning DSLs. (Distributed Mode Loudspeakers). This was presented at the UK AES, I suspect around 2000. Peter did tell me he had filed patents, but sold them as his health failed. I think he sold them to NXT who did produce some flat panel speakers using this technology.

Until this thread I was not aware of anyone using this approach to generate sound from a TV screen. That really is a novel application. The polar response is figure of 8 like an electrostatic. So there is the same power emitted from and back, with the front and back radiation 180 degrees out of phase. So there is a null at the sides.
Crazy advanced technology? Wonder how it sounds vs conventional speakers??

O

oltos

Enthusiast
Regarding the Sony 65” A95L I’m looking to buy, I certainly wouldn’t be using it or any center channel speaker for music listening; only for movie sound. Of course, the “drivers” in the Sony TV are a poor substitute for a decent center speaker, though which are all the experts say should be identical to the drivers in my L/R speakers, but which they certainly won’t be. But as the “drivers” in the TV are vertically rather than horizontally aligned won’t that at least give way better HF, MF and upper bass dispersion than the horizontal drivers in most center speakers?

For DVD and BD movies, rather than an AVR, my plan would be to use a straight multichannel DAC, like the Merging Hapi or Okto MCH DAC 8 Pro, and a dedicated (Shiit or Topping) stereo power amp to drive the A95L’s speaker level inputs.

Then use JRiver player to decode the Dolby Digital or DTS MA and configure the L/R speakers, Sony TV speaker system and my three Rythmik subs as a 3.3 system. But since center channel audio from the movie discs is mono, that is what JRiver will feed the Sony A95L has stereo speaker level inputs via one Okto DAC channel y-connected to the (e.g. Shiit or Topping) stereo power amp for driving the Sony TV’s stereo pair of speaker level inputs to act as one mono center speaker.

As for the apparent dipole like design of the Sony TV’s speaker system, as I will have the A95L on a floor standing VESA stand close to the rear wall, most of whatever bass response the speakers produce will be likely be canceled.But doesn’t JRiver have a crossover or filters so that any bass response that would have been mixed for the center speaker could be instead be shared between the L/R speakers and the subs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis