New TV/Old Amp compatibility + Onkyo AVR update

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Things get ugly fast with HDMI-CEC. The 696 supports ARC but not eARC so things can get uglier still with eARC equipped TV audio output settings. I remember my Samsung TV giving my 696 hell when the two were connected together awhile back using HDMI-CEC. They are both in different rooms these days. Stupid electronics.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Things get ugly fast with HDMI-CEC. The 696 supports ARC but not eARC so things can get uglier still with eARC equipped TV audio output settings. I remember my Samsung TV giving my 696 hell when the two were connected together awhile back using HDMI-CEC. They are both in different rooms these days. Stupid electronics.
First time it locked up was with an arc tv, not eARC. I was using a 5 y.o. Sony TV. Worked fine for over a year.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I guess if you have streamers you won't have to use the TV apps.
Yep. The new Fire Stick is up and running. I was thinking I had to use 3 remotes. Nice that the FS remote controls the yam to some degree. Haven't fooled around with it yet. Gotta work on tomorrow's route for a couple hours first.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
They are sending my Onkyo 696 back. They could not duplicate the issue so nothing was done. ARC is what caused it to lock up each time, or at least to me that is what it seems. I turned off ARC on both of my systems. I do not need it with the Firestick plugged into the amp on each system. Since ARC has been a huge pain in the a$$ for me, I don't want it on on the RZ50 either, just in case. Both systems work great without it. I mean, really great. I have an air antenna in the living room basically for the local news and Vikings games so I hooked up an optical cable from the TV. I was not going to hook the 696 up again (in the bedroom system) if they sent it back without fixing it. I changed my mind. I will hook it back up sans ARC. Who needs ARC? Not me!

Last edited:
C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
If you were previously able to successfully use ARC (Audio Return Channel) between your TCL TV and Yamaha AVR and are now experiencing issues, there could be a few potential causes:

1. HDMI cable: Although you mentioned using a new, certified HDMI cable, it's worth double-checking its condition and making sure it's securely connected at both ends. Try using a different HDMI cable to see if it resolves the issue.

2. TV settings: Verify that the ARC function is enabled on your TCL TV. Check the TV's audio settings menu and ensure that ARC is turned on. Some TVs may have specific HDMI ports designated for ARC, so make sure the cable is connected to the correct port.

3. AVR settings: Confirm that the correct input on your Yamaha AVR is selected for ARC audio. Additionally, ensure that the ARC function is enabled in the AVR's settings menu.

4. Firmware updates: Check if there are any firmware updates available for both your TV and AVR. Sometimes updates can improve compatibility and resolve issues.

5. Power cycle: Try power cycling both your TV and AVR. Turn off both devices, unplug them from the power source, wait a few minutes, and then plug them back in and power them on again. This can sometimes reset any temporary communication issues.

If you have tried these steps and the issue persists, it's possible that there may be a compatibility issue between the eARC feature on your TCL TV and the ARC capability on your Yamaha AVR. In this case, you may need to consider alternative audio connection options, such as using an optical audio cable or HDMI with separate audio connections.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thanks Charles. The issue persisted even w/o using Arc or eArc. I thought it was eArc/Arc, but I am no longer using it (HDMI off on tv and amp) and it happened again so I sent it in. So it's not eArc/Arc related.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks Charles. The issue persisted even w/o using Arc or eArc. I thought it was eArc/Arc, but I am no longer using it (HDMI off on tv and amp) and it happened again so I sent it in. So it's not eArc/Arc related.
Those receivers I see have a horrible reputation. If it comes back working sell it. Do not use it. Although it might be more ethical to send it to the recycling center. Those receivers are junk. My advice is to avoid receivers at the low end of the food chain, in general they are bad news.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Those receivers I see have a horrible reputation. If it comes back working sell it. Do not use it. Although it might be more ethical to send it to the recycling center. Those receivers are junk. My advice is to avoid receivers at the low end of the food chain, in general they are bad news.
I actually do have it back now. I was thinking I'd sell it with a 5 day money back warranty if they have issues. I was told by the tech manager at United Radio that they ran it for 4 days without any issues. And how did they run it I asked..... "on FM radio". Was someone there changing functions, etc? He said: "no, we don't have time for all that".
I have zero interest in hooking it up. I do have a label to send it back again, but I don't think I'll use it. Seems moot at this point now.
For the bedroom system now, I am interested in upgrading from the 6 y.o Yamaha. The Yamaha works fine, I just would like something newer that makes my 5.2.2 system sound more alive. The Heresies do not need a lot of power. Pretty sure that the Crites center is similar. I sent a message to Crites for them to verify that. Do you happen to have a recommendation as far as model or brand to look for? I am thinking Denon as a possibility.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Crites just got back to me. Their center speaker power requirement is similar to the Heresy III . They are efficient and do not need a ton of power. Probably makes it easier to shop for an AVR I imagine.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I actually do have it back now. I was thinking I'd sell it with a 5 day money back warranty if they have issues. I was told by the tech manager at United Radio that they ran it for 4 days without any issues. And how did they run it I asked..... "on FM radio". Was someone there changing functions, etc? He said: "no, we don't have time for all that".
I have zero interest in hooking it up. I do have a label to send it back again, but I don't think I'll use it. Seems moot at this point now.
For the bedroom system now, I am interested in upgrading from the 6 y.o Yamaha. The Yamaha works fine, I just would like something newer that makes my 5.2.2 system sound more alive. The Heresies do not need a lot of power. Pretty sure that the Crites center is similar. I sent a message to Crites for them to verify that. Do you happen to have a recommendation as far as model or brand to look for? I am thinking Denon as a possibility.
I am not the guy to ask about receivers, as I have never used them. Personally, I think they are a lousy idea. The sooner we move away from them the better, and put amps in the speakers.

What I would say is that do not shop below the midpoint of the market. I would say stick with Marantz, Denon, or Yamaha. Atmos is complicated, and the electronics can not be done on the cheap.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just sold that Onkyo! Sold within an hour after posting it.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thinking about the Denon S760H. If I order today, I'd have it on Monday. Any thoughts on that unit?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thinking about the Denon S760H. If I order today, I'd have it on Monday. Any thoughts on that unit?
I suppose it depends on how you want to use it. It has a max sound output of 140 watts as far as I can tell, even though spec is 75 watts per channel, two channels driven. Working it back from the max power draw that would be 20 watts per channel, all channels driven as a best estimate..

This is the problem with receivers their power supplies are so often inadequate.

That receiver in my view is too far down the food chain, and I would anticipate problems. It is just not possible to build a product of that complexity, at that price and expect a quality product.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I suppose it depends on how you want to use it. It has a max sound output of 140 watts as far as I can tell, even though spec is 75 watts per channel, two channels driven. Working it back from the max power draw that would be 20 watts per channel, all channels driven as a best estimate..

This is the problem with receivers their power supplies are so often inadequate.

That receiver in my view is too far down the food chain, and I would anticipate problems. It is just not possible to build a product of that complexity, at that price and expect a quality product.
I just bought the Denon S960H.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just bought the Denon S960H.
That's getting nearer the mark. That should give you about 35 to 40 watts per channel all channels driven. 90 watts into 8 ohms two channels driven is about the minimum.
Time will tell how reliable it is. Keep us posted.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I shall. Should be more than fine for my purposes. Thx for the help/input! Super glad to have parted with the problematic Onkyo. The guy who bought it said he is going to use it as a garage amp. Perfect!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I shall. Should be more than fine for my purposes. Thx for the help/input! Super glad to have parted with the problematic Onkyo. The guy who bought it said he is going to use it as a garage amp. Perfect!
Sounds like all it is fit for! I have to say that for as long as I have known that brand, and I know it has had various owners, but I have only been negatively impressed with all of it.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Sounds like all it is fit for! I have to say that for as long as I have known that brand, and I know it has had various owners, but I have only been negatively impressed with all of it.
I am very happy with my RZ50 though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis