Old Marantz with newer Sony AV receiver

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
I currently have a Sony Str dh810 AV receiver with Monitor Audio Bronze BX5's and a Boston Soundware 5.1 system. My current setup is 7.1.
I snagged a Marantz SR 590 stereo AV with pre outs for nothing and would like to know if I could integrate it into my system because of the warmer sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have a Sony Str dh810 AV receiver with Monitor Audio Bronze BX5's and a Boston Soundware 5.1 system. My current setup is 7.1.
I snagged a Marantz SR 590 stereo AV with pre outs for nothing and would like to know if I could integrate it into my system because of the warmer sound.
Both are entry level kind of receivers, so I don't know what you meant by "integrate it..." Also, both can be expected to have nearly flat frequency response in the audible 20-20,000 Hz range and distortions below the threshold of audibility. So, either can give you what you may call "warm sound" if you use tone control and experiment with the settings. Other than that, those who claimed the Marantz brand has a distinct warm sound were mostly just BS, or they heard it under certain conditions that gave that "warm sound" perception, but that would not be just because it was something Marantz's designers intentionally designed for such "sound". Yes, Marantz would say that, but that's just their marketing strategy, people bought into it and spread it over the years on magazines and the internet, proving Marantz adopted their marketing strategy to create the hype successfully.

My suggestion is, don't believe in such hearsay, try both and stick with the one you prefer, they may or may not sound much different in a blind listening comparison, but may sound quite different in sighted listening and the perceived difference would depend a lot on the operating conditions of the units, usage (type of music, how loud etc.), and how prone you are to expectation bias effects.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Marantz SR-590 does allow it to function as a pre-amp by connecting it to an external amplifier – something you don't have now. However, it cannot be used as an external amplifier driven by a separate pre-amp.
1681395742959.png

Your Sony DH810 does not allow connecting it to an external amplifier or pre-amp. So, you cannot connect these two AVRs in any useful way.

The rated power output of the Marantz is 60 Watts/channel and the Sony is 100 W/ch. As audio power outputs go, those numbers are not so different. FWIW, Marantz has a generally good reputation for honestly rating power output, and Sony has at times made good products, and at other times, not so good. As @PENG suggested, try each of these AVRs and see if you can hear any difference between them.

Last edited:
D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
Both are entry level kind of receivers, so I don't know what you meant by "integrate it..." Also, both can be expected to have nearly flat frequency response in the audible 20-20,000 Hz range and distortions below the threshold of audibility. So, either can give you what you may call "warm sound" if you use tone control and experiment with the settings. Other than that, those who claimed the Marantz brand has a distinct warm sound were mostly just BS, or they heard it under certain conditions that gave that "warm sound" perception, but that would not be just because it was something Marantz's designers intentionally designed for such "sound". Yes, Marantz would say that, but that's just their marketing strategy, people bought into it and spread it over the years on magazines and the internet, proving Marantz adopted their marketing strategy to create the hype successfully.

My suggestion is, don't believe in such hearsay, try both and stick with the one you prefer, they may or may not sound much different in a blind listening comparison, but may sound quite different in sighted listening and the perceived difference would depend a lot on the operating conditions of the units, usage (type of music, how loud etc.), and how prone you are to expectation bias effects.
That's great thank you for the reply.
When I mentioned integration I meant Bi-Amping but maybe I'm a bit new to all that.
The Marantz might be good for stereo music.
At the minute it's upstairs paired to a pair of old floorstanders and sound fantastic but downstairs I find the Sony and BX5's a bit bright.
To be fair I was thinking I need to just try them out and see

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
The Marantz SR-590 does allow it to function as a pre-amp by connecting it to an external amplifier – something you don't have now. However, it cannot be used as an external amplifier driven by a separate pre-amp.
View attachment 61390

Your Sony DH810 does not allow connecting it to an external amplifier or pre-amp. So, you cannot connect these two AVRs in any useful way.

The rated power output of the Marantz is 60 Watts/channel and the Sony is 100 W/ch. As audio power outputs go, those numbers are not so different. FWIW, Marantz has a generally good reputation for honestly rating power output, and Sony has at times made good products, and at other times, not so good. As @PENG suggested, try each of these AVRs and see if you can hear any difference between them.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The speakers will have more to do with the sound that is preferable to you than the power source. You may just prefer the sound of the old floor standers upstairs.

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
The speakers will have more to do with the sound that is preferable to you than the power source. You may just prefer the sound of the old floor standers upstairs.
The Wharfadele's upstairs are definitely warmer.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Wharfadele's upstairs are definitely warmer.
That's likely the real reason. Monitor Audio Bronze's hard dome tweeter likely would sound brighter than your Wharfedale's (which model?)

The Broze 5 specs show 30,000 Hz the upper limit!! That's very extended for speaker in that price range.

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
That's likely the real reason. Monitor Audio Bronze's hard dome tweeter likely would sound brighter than your Wharfedale's (which model?)

The Broze 5 specs show 30,000 Hz the upper limit!! That's very extended for speaker in that price range.
I'll check their model no.

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
I'll check their model no.

This is the only info I have on them
IMG_20230413_204224__01.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I haven't tried to take off the grills as they're a cloth material and look tricky to get back on
I think those speakers come from a time before Wharfedale were corrupted by Chinese ownership.
I suspect those Wharfedale speakers are the better pair and that is why you prefer the sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did you determine that the marantz had a warmer sound particularly? I wouldn't expect that unless you read it somewhere, then that might make sense as there are a lot of silly assertions about Marantz "warmth" out there.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
How did you determine that the marantz had a warmer sound particularly? I wouldn't expect that unless you read it somewhere, then that might make sense as there are a lot of silly assertions about Marantz "warmth" out there.
Marantz does run warm/hot. Not sure about the sound.

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
I emailed a dealer I bought the Sony AV and Speaker's from about the bright sounding combination and they agreed a Marantz would bring a bit of warmth to it. I'm from Ireland and over in the UK they talk in terms like bright warmth etc. But I already thought in those terms myself. When I bought my first stereo system the bass felt soft with no punch so I got what they were saying when they talked about brightness etc

D

deebrown99

Enthusiast
I think those speakers come from a time before Wharfedale were corrupted by Chinese ownership.
I suspect those Wharfedale speakers are the better pair and that is why you prefer the sound.
They do sound good so I might just swap the speakers around to see how they combine

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis