New to home theater, need advice... feel overwhelmed

V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum. I've been watching A LOT of YouTube videos over the past 2 weeks, reading articles and trying to learn what I can to set up a room for home theater. To be honest I feel almost more confused and overwhelmed with all of the options and I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
We just did a room addition and I'd like to set up this 16'x19' room with 10' ceilings with a 5.1.2 Atmos system. I prewired the room with 16ga wire in the ceiling for 2 rear surrounds and 2 Atmos speakers and then am planning on 2 bookshelf or floor front speakers and a center and subwoofer. I have a $2,000-3,000 budget to work with for everything. I have an old Velodyne DLS-3500R subwoofer and a Polk CSi3 center speaker but I'm assuming it's too outdated to use.
Can anyone recommend some good AVR/speaker options for me that will work together within my budget? I'm hoping the 16ga wire wasn't a mistake... I could rewire it to thicker wire if needed. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me and I apologize if this type of advice gets requested too often.

Ken

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
$2-3k is to cover all speakers, sub(s) and avr? Are you looking for in-walls for surrounds? I assume in-ceiling for Atmos? Got a picture/diagram?

The Velodyne is just a small and limited sub, the age isn't particularly an issue....but I'd look at replacing it. I find few youtube videos in the a/v field to be of much use outside of a very few. Don't think the 16ga is going to be an issue, particularly for surrounds/atmos speakers. If you have a 5.1.2 setup, you don't have rear surrounds, just surrounds (more to the side).

ps Welcome to AH!

V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
$2-3k is to cover all speakers, sub(s) and avr? Are you looking for in-walls for surrounds? I assume in-ceiling for Atmos? Got a picture/diagram?

The Velodyne is just a small and limited sub, the age isn't particularly an issue....but I'd look at replacing it. I find few youtube videos in the a/v field to be of much use outside of a very few. Don't think the 16ga is going to be an issue, particularly for surrounds/atmos speakers. If you have a 5.1.2 setup, you don't have rear surrounds, just surrounds (more to the side).

ps Welcome to AH!
Thanks for the welcome! My wife would prefer in-ceiling for the rear surrounds and the atmos speakers but if rear bookshelf would be better I could talk her into that. I was planning on bookshelf/tower speakers for the front surround, but I do have wiring in the wall on either side of the TV if in-wall speakers are better than bookshelf/towers. I would prefer to stay under $3,000 for everything including AVR, but I could push it to $4,000 if it would be that much better. I’m open to something different than 5.1.2, whatever advice I can get is appreciated. Thanks again for the help!
IMG_1826.jpg

Last edited:
W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
The mistake you made was not having any wires for ear level surrounds.
Atmos has two layers of speakers for a 3d surround sound experience. Think of it like a dome of sound.

Denon is the popular choice here for av receivers.

Welcome to the hobby!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the welcome! My wife would prefer in-ceiling for the rear surrounds and the atmos speakers but if rear bookshelf would be better I could talk her into that. I was planning on bookshelf/tower speakers for the front surround, but I do have wiring in the wall on either side of the TV if in-wall speakers are better than bookshelf/towers. I would prefer to stay under $3,000 for everything including AVR, but I could push it to $4,000 if it would be that much better. I’m open to something different than 5.1.2, whatever advice I can get is appreciated. Thanks again for the help!View attachment 61180
Like wardog mentioned, having surrounds (5ch base layer) with the surrounds in the ceiling somewhat negates the effect of Atmos speakers which are intended not to be on the same plane as your surrounds; there should be a separation of layers of bed layer and Atmos layer. They're also not rear surrounds unless you have a 7ch base layer as I mentioned before.

V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
Like wardog mentioned, having surrounds (5ch base layer) with the surrounds in the ceiling somewhat negates the effect of Atmos speakers which are intended not to be on the same plane as your surrounds; there should be a separation of layers of bed layer and Atmos layer. They're also not rear surrounds unless you have a 7ch base layer as I mentioned before.
Ah gotcha. Would it work to put the right and left surrounds just behind the seating position on top of the bookshelves? I'm open to putting 4 atmos speaker in the ceiling if that is preferred. Wife doesn't want speakers on the floor except maybe in the front. The bookshelves are about 6.5' high.
Any recommendations on a receiver and speaker setup that could fit my budget? I could push my wife to up to $4,000 maybe but that's a stretch. Thanks!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Monoprice has many of their THX certified speakers on sale right now. I just ordered 3 of their THX LCR's and 6 of their their Alpha 6.5" 3 way for the sides and ceiling for my new theater built (Atmos 7.2.4).

Total was $1100. But that is all in wall.

Two of their 365's would be $720 for completing the front stage using your current center (don't worry about timbre matching for now IMO).

The Alpha 6.5" are $129 for the pair. If you want the Atmos experience you'll need to follow the Dolby guidelines. Pretty cut and dry.

Budget ~$700 for a Denon AVR and you should be good to go.

If you can pull 12AWG, it may be overkill, but you won't be left wondering either. I'm pulling 12 for my LCR and 14 for all the surrounds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah gotcha. Would it work to put the right and left surrounds just behind the seating position on top of the bookshelves? I'm open to putting 4 atmos speaker in the ceiling if that is preferred. Wife doesn't want speakers on the floor except maybe in the front. The bookshelves are about 6.5' high.
Any recommendations on a receiver and speaker setup that could fit my budget? I could push my wife to up to $4,000 maybe but that's a stretch. Thanks!
On top of literal bookshelves or bookshelf speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just wanted to be sure. What's the height of the bookshelf? That's more positioning of rear surrounds rather than surrounds; surrounds should be more to the sides of seating.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, bookshelf speakers on top of the bookshelves that are behind the couch.
Sounds better than my set up surrounds are in-front of me , haha .
Thanks for the welcome! My wife would prefer in-ceiling for the rear surrounds and the atmos speakers but if rear bookshelf would be better I could talk her into that. I was planning on bookshelf/tower speakers for the front surround, but I do have wiring in the wall on either side of the TV if in-wall speakers are better than bookshelf/towers. I would prefer to stay under $3,000 for everything including AVR, but I could push it to $4,000 if it would be that much better. I’m open to something different than 5.1.2, whatever advice I can get is appreciated. Thanks again for the help!View attachment 61180
In ceilings only works for Atmos , so just settle for bookshelf’s for surrounds?
5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers - Dolby
TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science - RTINGS.com
Front main speaker tweeters at ear level in sitting position.
Recommend a Denon AVR
Google "Crutchfield," for speakers and pricing. Then look on other websites for their reviews. JBL, Klipsch, Emotiva, Polk, ELAC, come to mind for speakers, within your budget. There many more to weed through. lol
@VegasKen Good luck and have fun!
+1
I second this post do some research ,
note to the op ;
I use Klipsch but those other brands are just as good.
Towers are preferred as fronts for extra headroom less distortion, get the biggest basest matching center you can fit as it’s the workhorse . I’m getting a used tv stand eventually to bring my center back, build your tv around the biggest front 3 you can fit afford not the other way around.

V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
Thanks for all this advice. Boy am I learning that this is a rabbit hole I'm going down LOL. Here's some different things I've looked into, I'd love any thoughts:

Denon 760H (at Costco) $499
Denon 960H $550
Denon 1700 $699
Denon 2700 $799
Denon 3700 $1199 (stretch for me but it is 9.2 to grow)

Bookshelf speakers for front and surround:
Fluance XL8S $180/pair
Klipsch R-50M $280/pair
Monoprice Monolith THX-365T $275 each

I've also looked at going with Jamo speakers. I don't know how important it is to match everything with the same brand. Like I said I've got this old Polk CS-i3 center speaker and the old Velodyne subwoofer. Thanks again for any advice.

V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
Just wanted to be sure. What's the height of the bookshelf? That's more positioning of rear surrounds rather than surrounds; surrounds should be more to the sides of seating.
The bookshelves behind the seating area are 6.5' tall

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 3700 would be my favorite avr of the group due its pre-outs and Audyssey XT32 features as well as likely best power supply of the bunch, but that doesn't mean in your budget it works well :). As you go up the models, you gain certain features and need to make your own determination of value in the long run.

I'd still want to get a better sub. A single budget sub like the RSL Speedwoofer 10s, or maybe a pair of something like the Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1500 is another budget idea.

I'd lean towards those Monolith speakers THX speakers, they reviewed well here on AH.

Another budget idea is to start just with 2.1 or 3.1 and worry about the rest of the speakers later; and matching is most important across the front generally (ideal to use the same speaker across the front, too).

V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
The 3700 would be my favorite avr of the group due its pre-outs and Audyssey XT32 features as well as likely best power supply of the bunch, but that doesn't mean in your budget it works well :). As you go up the models, you gain certain features and need to make your own determination of value in the long run.

I'd still want to get a better sub. A single budget sub like the RSL Speedwoofer 10s, or maybe a pair of something like the Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1500 is another budget idea.

I'd lean towards those Monolith speakers THX speakers, they reviewed well here on AH.

Another budget idea is to start just with 2.1 or 3.1 and worry about the rest of the speakers later; and matching is most important across the front generally (ideal to use the same speaker across the front, too).
I think I will stretch and get the 3700 and a new sub. Which center speaker would match well with the Monoliths and what would you recommend for the surround speakers? Thanks again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I will stretch and get the 3700 and a new sub. Which center speaker would match well with the Monoliths and what would you recommend for the surround speakers? Thanks again
Ideally is the same speaker all around. A horizontal center is merely an accommodation for placement of most tvs, but is an inherently compromised design. Maybe start with one of those pairs and try your Polk with/without and see how much impact it has on your listening position.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Ear level surrounds or slightly higher. No exceptions or otherwise.
4 feet is the starting point.If it's above your head when standing. It's too high.
Does the wife hate sound?

I'm going to give you an warning here. Your wife is highly likely to negatively impact your surround sound experience. It's been proven time and time again.
Kindly ask her to go somewhere else if she hates sound.

I'll only encourage going for a 9 channel receiver when you're commited to place the speakers properly.
This means 4 atmos speakers at 45-55 degrees elevation from ear level. And surrounds near ear level at 110-120 degrees. Center channel is 0.

Best of luck and hope you understand that placing speakers wherever you or anyone else wants. Isn't the best solution.

Attachments

Last edited:
V

VegasKen

Audiophyte
Ear level surrounds or slightly higher. No exceptions or otherwise.
4 feet is the starting point.If it's above your head when standing. It's too high.
Does the wife hate sound?

I'm going to give you an warning here. Your wife is highly likely to negatively impact your surround sound experience. It's been proven time and time again.
Kindly ask her to go somewhere else if she hates sound.

I'll only encourage going for a 9 channel receiver when you're commited to place the speakers properly.
This means 4 atmos speakers at 45-55 degrees elevation from ear level. And surrounds near ear level at 110-120 degrees. Center channel is 0.

Best of luck and hope you understand that placing speakers wherever you or anyone else wants. Isn't the best solution.
Understood. Thanks for all the advice

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ideally is the same speaker all around. A horizontal center is merely an accommodation for placement of most tvs, but is an inherently compromised design. Maybe start with one of those pairs and try your Polk with/without and see how much impact it has on your listening position.
yeah I’m running phantom, gotta Turn volume up. My mtm center uses smaller woofers than my towers, I’ll eventually hook it back up.
So odd???

Center is the most important speaker , get biggest you can of the same trim line as your fronts .I prefer towers for fonts less hassle with stands and stuff , I guess if op budget is too low bookshelves are fine .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis