Anyone with experience with a Buckeye Purifi class D amp for HT?

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Posted 7 hours ago
I was looking at one of these amps for the front 3 on my HT Denon x6700H as the B&W's are very power hungrey. My space is limited and as everting is in a cabinet running temp is important also. I do have fans.

Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier, 3-channel

Specs
(3) Purifi 1ET400A modules
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A400
450w @ 2ohm per channel
425w @ 4ohm per channel
225w @ 8ohm per channel

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is it you want to know...

I've talked to Dylan on several occasions, and frankly, all his stuff is pretty legit. His implementation of all Hypex and Purifi product has been well received and reviewed over at ASR. There was a recent issue regarding the newest Purifi iteration and he handled the issue with great humility and dedication to his customers; quickly solved the problem and worked on creating a simple solution that can even be done at home by those so inclined!

Beyond that, there isn't much to say other than every person I've seen mention using his gear has been happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or for a bit less money the Hypex NC502 module amps are quite powerful as well. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from Buckeye but don't need another amp at this point. I can't say I've heard of them running particularly warm for typical ht use but adding cooling/ventilation is often a good thing for an avr.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Heat can always be an issue, agreed. The Hypex data sheets that I have even caution against trusting completely the notion that Class D Amps run absolutely cool.
That said, Dylan is using a Chassis that is supposed to vent and cool better than the older ones he used to use.

Dylan is super easy to get in touch with and will gladly take time to answer any questions someone may have. He is not, in my experience, interested in making a sale over complete honesty and respect for the people he's potentially building for.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, experience with what? Difference in sound quality? Manufacturer’s warranty and customer service? Heat production?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nord and Appolon are both well respected, but based in Europe. There's also VTV here in the US.

I like where Dylan is taking his business. He's very customer focused and is truly engaged in running an honest business. For a guy that just finished his PhD, his love and dedication are still in Audio! ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What is it you want to know...

I've talked to Dylan on several occasions, and frankly, all his stuff is pretty legit. His implementation of all Hypex and Purifi product has been well received and reviewed over at ASR. There was a recent issue regarding the newest Purifi iteration and he handled the issue with great humility and dedication to his customers; quickly solved the problem and worked on creating a simple solution that can even be done at home by those so inclined!

Beyond that, there isn't much to say other than every person I've seen mention using his gear has been happy.
I am surprised that Dylan didn't discover the issue before ASR did. Does he have the testing capability of ASR?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am surprised that Dylan didn't discover the issue before ASR did. Does he have the testing capability of ASR?
Everything was documented in the thread over at ASR. I don't recall exactly what transpired between Dylan and his colleagues that were working on the new Input board with him.

Most people do not own Audio Precision testing equipment... that sh!t is expensive! Just ask Gene. ;) IIRC, Erin (Erin's Audio Corner) is trying to buy one, too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Everything was documented in the thread over at ASR. I don't recall exactly what transpired between Dylan and his colleagues that were working on the new Input board with him.

Most people do not own Audio Precision testing equipment... that sh!t is expensive! Just ask Gene. ;) IIRC, Erin (Erin's Audio Corner) is trying to buy one, too.
Think Erin's got it and up and running now....he just put up a test on a McIntosh processor https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/electronics/mcintosh_mx100/

ps Think Dylan was not using an AP, tho....don't remember the gear he was using....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Think Erin's got it and up and running now....he just put up a test on a McIntosh processor https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/electronics/mcintosh_mx100/

ps Think Dylan was not using an AP, tho....don't remember the gear he was using....
That's great news! In that weekly YT thing (forgot what's its call), Erin never says much, but the other 3 gentlemen don't really offer much useful objective info, except that Techno Dad dude who seems okay too (to me anyway), but he seems to be the only objective one in that group. His willingness to invest on an AP and started doing measurements just proved it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's great news! In that weekly YT thing (forgot what's its call), Erin never says much, but the other 3 gentlemen don't really offer much useful objective info, except that Techno Dad dude who seems okay too (to me anyway), but he seems to be the only objective one in that group. His willingness to invest on an AP and started doing measurements just proved it.
Don't know that weekly youtube thing....TechnoDad I'd just rather call him by name, which is Channa daSilva IIRC, haven't listened to a whole video of his....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't know that weekly youtube thing....TechnoDad I'd just rather call him by name, which is Channa daSilva IIRC, haven't listened to a whole video of his....
Actually it's call daily hi-fi podcast.

Marantz AV10 $7,000 Value? - YouTube

Found it, I only watched them a couple times, not too impressed at all. They seem to be a very popular/well known bunch on YT, so you would think that they know a lot more about hi-fi, ht, but..;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually it's call daily hi-fi podcast.

Marantz AV10 $7,000 Value? - YouTube

Found it, I only watched them a couple times, not too impressed at all. They seem to be a very popular/well known bunch on YT, so you would think that they know a lot more about hi-fi, ht, but..;)
Do they all talk at once like a bad zoom experience? I recognize the names in the group, can't say I can stand youthman (or the dumb name) from when I tried before, might need to give Channa some more time. Joentell (whatever his real name is) hasn't impressed me altho he's not as annoying as some youtubers. I'd rather read a well written report than watch/listen to someone on youtube for the most part, too. They may like the sound of their voices, but....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Posted 7 hours ago
I was looking at one of these amps for the front 3 on my HT Denon x6700H as the B&W's are very power hungrey. My space is limited and as everting is in a cabinet running temp is important also. I do have fans.

Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier, 3-channel

Specs
(3) Purifi 1ET400A modules
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A400
450w @ 2ohm per channel
425w @ 4ohm per channel
225w @ 8ohm per channel
If you buy from someone who don't use dedicated heatsinks, you should definitely use an external fan to cool the unit. Other than that, the X6700H should have no problem driving one of those amps as long as you don't go for one that has gain lower than 25.5-26 dB if you want the signal to remain pristine at up to near the amp's rated output.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Believe me, it's not easy. LOL
I would love to be a dealer too, but it will be difficult to deal with the things associated with shipping over the border. It's a great little amp, but for longevity, I do recommend using a quiet fan.

Talking about fans, I have been using, and recommending to others who asked, to use the low cost USB ACInfinity fans, but I am switching to the more expensive Noctua fans. They don't blend in as well (being brown, though they may have the black one now) They are not as convenient to use, as they don't use the USB plugs, but they are truly quiet, almost silent even from inches away. Spec says 18.8 dB and it does sound like that too.

If I remember right, someone asked if they would get warm, so I thought I should mention this option:

Fans (noctua.at)
NF-A12x25 PWM (noctua.at)

The ACinfinity fans spec is only 18 dB, or 17 dB for the 80 mm ones, but even the quietest of the serval that I have, sound much louder than the Noctura fan, even at the lowest speed on the 140 mm units, can be heard from 11 feet, though still very acceptable especially for movie watching.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis