Unconventional hanging of speakers?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I just bought the Polk XT90 speakers for Atmos on wall duty. Because we rent I don't want to put holes in the wall. I will if I have to but would this work and not be a problem? I know it will hold but will this leave the wall a mess after I take them down when we move? Industrial strength Velcro strips. Link here.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just bought the Polk XT90 speakers for Atmos on wall duty. Because we rent I don't want to put holes in the wall. I will if I have to but would this work and not be a problem? I know it will hold but will this leave the wall a mess after I take them down when we move? Industrial strength Velcro strips. Link here.

Thanks for any help or advice.
When I rent, I always make holes in walls as needed as they can easily be repaired when you move. I would just let the landlord handle small hole repairs which would be made with a new paint job.

Personally, I certainly would prefer wall anchors to velcro for holding speakers which have a certain weight.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The issue I see is that I could not find a weight rating on the product page. You need something that specifies how much weight it can hold. Personally, I would not trust velcro unless those speakers are nice and light. It can slowly pull away over time with heavy loads but might be ok if the tension is low. If you're confident about the holding strength, you can safely remove the strips with gentle heat. Use a hair dryer to soften the glue and then carefully peel away so as not to remove any paint. Then use mineral spirits to remove any glue that remains.

I would put more faith in wall anchors and screws using the keyhole mounts. Wall anchors can be hammered below surface and covered with patching compound.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer finding a stud to mount speakers on a wall. In the Q&A section users say the package indicates 10lbs is the weight limit.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah the speakers are 6 pounds each and the Velcro strips are rated at 10 pounds. I would use 2 strips on each speaker. I don't know that to do.
I also could not find a stud but I was using those stud finders on my phone. Maybe I'll have to go to Home Depot and get a real one.
It's a townhouse so I think there probably is a firewall. Could that be throwing things off? I'm not a very handy dude so keep that in mind.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the speakers are 6 pounds each and the Velcro strips are rated at 10 pounds. I would use 2 strips on each speaker. I don't know that to do.
I also could not find a stud but I was using those stud finders on my phone. Maybe I'll have to go to Home Depot and get a real one.
It's a townhouse so I think there probably is a firewall. Could that be throwing things off? I'm not a very handy dude so keep that in mind.
I use a stud finder on my phone called walabot that works well....but its not free (seems to have gone up in price since I bought it a few years back, too, just checked). You might like this, just saw this the other day

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I use a stud finder on my phone called walabot that works well....but its not free (seems to have gone up in price since I bought it a few years back, too, just checked). You might like this, just saw this the other day
With stud finding, you're somehow limited in localization of what you want to hang.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Spackle is easy enough to use. A little care and you likely won't see the patch unless your walls aren't white... all my rentals used to have white walls, so that was never a problem! ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With stud finding, you're somehow limited in localization of what you want to hang.
That's true. With only 6 lb speakers I might be happy enough with a well designed drywall anchor, too.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The tape on the back of Velcro is extremely strong and will do FAR more damage to the drywall than a small nail hole would ever cause. As well, the tape is prone to actually coming off and should never be used in situations where something may fall to the floor and be damaged.

I have NEVER rented a place where I couldn't hang photos up. My last rental even allowed me to put holes in the ceiling to mount my projector, and I put a flat panel TV up on the wall. This is pretty normal use in rentals. But, I know that some rentals have different rules. So, I would get clarification of what you specifically are allowed to hang or not.

You can just get speaker stands as an option. I picked up a pair many years ago from Ikea for about 20 bucks and they worked just fine for my needs at the time.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok update time. Well everyone was right about the Velcro strips. Seemed to be a really solid strong hold to the wall but after about 12 hours down came the right Atmos speaker.
To my surprise and to Polk's credit the speaker was not damaged at all! Not a freaking scratch. This speaker is solid. I am so impressed with Polk at the moment. Not broken, not even scratched, sound is just fine.
So that experiment was a fail. Today I went out and bought a cheap 10 dollar Stud finder at Walmart. Borrowed my father in laws drill, got the old ruler out and they are up on the wall the correct way. All is good in the end.
Yes, I'm a big dummy.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok update time. Well everyone was right about the Velcro strips. Seemed to be a really solid strong hold to the wall but after about 12 hours down came the right Atmos speaker.
To my surprise and to Polk's credit the speaker was not damaged at all! Not a freaking scratch. This speaker is solid. I am so impressed with Polk at the moment. Not broken, not even scratched, sound is just fine.
So that experiment was a fail. Today I went out and bought a cheap 10 dollar Stud finder at Walmart. Borrowed my father in laws drill, got the old ruler out and they are up on the wall the correct way. All is good in the end.
Yes, I'm a big dummy.
Nah I don't think so you took a chance and came up short we've all done stuff like that. Glad to know the speaker was undamaged pole made a minitank!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Nah I don't think so you took a chance and came up short we've all done stuff like that. Glad to know the speaker was undamaged pole made a minitank!
Yeah, poop happens right. Main thing is the speaker didn't break or get damaged falling 9 feet and they are installed the correct way.
By any chance does anyone have the Fire Cube? I have the newest Fire Cube and something is driving me up a wall here that I don't understand.
In order to watch movies in Atmos you have to put the setting on the Cube for audio in "best available sound". That covers Atmos/DD+/DD/PCM. The issue is it's fine with every source but YouTube TV, with best available sound I lose DD 5.1 on YouTube TV and regular YouTube itself. When I choose "DD+" on the Cube I get 5.1 DD from all sources including YouTube TV and regular YouTube but lose Atmos capability. So my choices are to switch to Best available sound when I'm on an app that does Atmos and back to DD+ when on YouTube TV and regular YouTube. Is this not strange? I have a Denon X3400H. Couldn't be a setting in there right?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I'm a big dummy.
I guess the paint coat came with the falling speaker, right? Of course, a paint has limited possibilities like most things

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Heard my first really cool Atmos movie! We watched 10 Cloverfield lane last night. Very cool affects coming from above. I can imagine 4 Atmos being so much better though. Very, very cool though.
What are some other really good Atmos movies? Any suggestions?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Heard my first really cool Atmos movie! We watched 10 Cloverfield lane last night. Very cool affects coming from above. I can imagine 4 Atmos being so much better though. Very, very cool though.
What are some other really good Atmos movies? Any suggestions?
Blade Tunner 2049 is a good one

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Blade Tunner 2049 is a good one
That’s a great one.
There are soooo many. Try ADTG’s thread.(cant think of the link).
Also, hacksaw ridge is great in Atmos, and an exemplary track overall. Bass down to like 3hz lmao!!!
Short list would be Dune… Drawing a blank. On vacation in MX…

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis