The Marantz "Cinema Series" "2022-2023" AV Pre-Launch Thread

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed, even one sub, I wouldn't bother with Dirac without DLBC because without bass management and time alignment, may as well use Audyssey with the app and that does do bass management and time alignment.
Yeah, Dirac Live is pretty useless if you’ve a subwoofer.

That D&M did not introduce DLBC at the same time as DL is a mistake, in my opinion.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
By the way, I am convinced that for $9,300 (with DLBC's price adder), nothing beats the Marantz AV10.
I am expecting the RZ90 to potentially change that value equation...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
something from onkyblow being a giant killer? I'll see it when I believe it. :p

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
something from onkyblow being a giant killer? I'll see it when I believe it. :p
The 906/876 and later 3010/70.4 were substantially cheaper than their competitors in the marketplace, and matched or outperformed their competitors....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The 906/876 and later 3010/70.4 were substantially cheaper than their competitors in the marketplace, and matched or outperformed their competitors....
Onkyo has a lot to prove is all I’m saying. Since their troubles and reinvention under the Voxx banner, they haven’t impressed.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Onkyo has a lot to prove is all I’m saying. Since their troubles and reinvention under the Voxx banner, they haven’t impressed.
Agreed, in the past they seemed to have more reliability issues based on forum talks and in their newest Dirac equipped ones their relatively heavy/stout amp section/power supply section failed to result in bench measurements compared to D+M's lighter and potentially smaller PS in the X3000/4000H series. Class AB amps are very matured technology so there should be no excuse. Other than that, traditionally they seemed to be willing use better parts such as DACs, OPAs, volume control ICs, in that sense I find D+M disappointing overall (there were some rare exceptions, such as the top flagship DAC IC found in the 5805.

One thing remains to be seen, is whether the RZ50 and its Pioneer cousins are upgradable to DLBC, without that, I would not say it is better than D+M's XT32+app, for those who don't mind to tweak a little.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Is this guy saying the Marantz AMP10 amp sucks? :D

The Marantz sounds warmer and lacks details?

Can’t wait to see what Gene thinks in his review.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Is this guy saying the Marantz AMP10 amp sucks? :D

The Marantz sounds warmer and lacks details?

Can’t wait to see what Gene thinks in his review.
I'll say this again, that those kind of reviews are for entertainment only, but only if you find them funny.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll say this again, that those kind of reviews are for entertainment only, but only if you find them funny.
One of my friends told me about that YT review. The funny thing to me was that he absolutely believed that stupid review like it was gospel. :D

I didn’t argue with him because there’s no point IMO.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One of my friends told me about that YT review. The funny thing to me was that he absolutely believed that stupid review like it was gospel. :D

I didn’t argue with him because there’s no point IMO.
That's a problem with us North Americans, they like to trust their guts, and ears/brains over science and therefor prone to being fooled (surely unintentional by the reviewer in this case). This gentleman even said Marantz always have that "roll off" and he cited the HDAMs. He clearly is not technically oriented, that's fine but should avoid commenting on things that require some basic technical knowledge. He is fully aware of bench measurements including Audioholics and ASR's so he should know if there is roll of it would have been shown in the measurements. The only roll off shown on the Marantz are, on the more recent models there are roll off characteristics that typically would start at about 10 kHz and drop by about 2.5 dB at 20 kHz but that's only if the DAC is involved and with contents at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. Otherwise FR would still be virtually ruler flat to 20 kHz. And, HDAMs are buffer amps that does not roll off, my AV8801 has HDAMs, there was no roll off for that model year.

Sadly, lots of NA viewers would, as you said , believed those bs as gospel.:(

A

Audiguy3

Enthusiast
I have A10 powering GoldenEars References. That sound is perfect for me. I hate bright speakers and amps

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Most AVRs and processors downs ample to 48khz either for room correction or bass management. It's a non issue.
Hey Gene, I pulled the plug and ordered the AV10. Have a Yamaha A3080 with external amps I'm replacing. I'm hoping this new AV10 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and DIRAC coming will perform much better than YPAO and the lack of bass management.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
This video is private?:confused: Naughty home movies uploaded by mistake, again?:oops:

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Can anyone confirm if "LFE Distribution" is available on Cinema 40 or X4800H?

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
I've always had AVRs throughout the years but decided to change up and go with separates. Coming from a Yamaha RX-A3080 with external amps I decided to give the AV10, although its pricey, a shot. Well first impression: Outstanding in everyway. A huge difference in overall fullness and sound quality. Don't get me wrong the RX-A3080 is a great AVR but I could never get the subs and mains dialed in together using YPAO and REW. The AV10 with Audyssey MultEQ-32 and or MultEQ-X completely integrated the subs and mains. The sound is now much more full and rich. Dirac is also available with the new firmware update but does not provide the bass module, expected in 2024. I tested 2 channel stereo with Flac hires music via built-in HEOS and the HEOS app, Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD on multi-channel, John Wick 3 for Dolby Atmos. All performed extremely well. I also tested Roon and that works fine although it only streams using Airplay to the AV10 which is only CD quality, however I have installed the Roon RHEOS extension to allow for HiRes streaming. My system is a 7.2.4 with some room treatments and now I can finally say I have a complete immersive home theater. Only negative for me is I use Qobuz and currently this is not supported on the AV10, but through Roon I can stream it. Hopefully that can change with a future firmware update. I would highly recommend this new AVP.

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Hey @gene any timeline on your AV10 results? Looking forward to them.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis