Denon AVC-A1H, special request for Gene to review and bench test this new beast!

Would you like to see the new Denon flaghsip AVR reviewed and measured by Gene, Audioholics?

• Total voters
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Most of the limitations in new audio/video devices are not hardware related but licensing deal related. AVRs at the middle and bottom of the line can be expected to drop certain features. But, if AVR manufacturers want top dollar for top of the line models, they need to spend a little coin as well so those who spent big bucks on their last gen top of the line model aren't losing anything with the next gen top of the line model. Beside licensing deals, HDCP rules over HDMI and has crippled legacy analog device accommodation in new 4K AVRs and basically done away with them in new TVs.

I think any top of the line model from any brand should be offering at least one 48Gbps HDMI port. Two other ports can be 40Gbps and the remaining can be 18Gbps ports. No stand alone streamer or disc player currently needs more than 18Gbps. This port setup would work for those with a state of the art gaming PC on the 48Gbps port and a PS5 and XBOX Series X/S on the 40Gbps ports. A universal disc player from Oppo or Sony, a streamer from Amazon, Apple Google, Nvidia or Roku and a cable box from any one of multiple brands can fill up the 18Gbps ports. They'll all look great on a new 10 bit panel OLED TV. Oh, wait...:):confused::(
Well as long as they support HDCP 2.2 those 18Gbps work on 4K titles. The older AVRs promised 4K on 18Gbps ports but they don’t work unless they have HDCP 2.2

Then you have AVRs with HDCP 2.2 ports that don’t support HDR10+. It’s always going to be some gotcha.

Best to plan on buying an AVR if you buy a TV to have a chance for them to be completely compatible. Even then lots of research is needed. LOL :)

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Best to plan on buying an AVR if you buy a TV to have a chance for them to be completely compatible. Even then lots of research is needed. LOL :)
The problem with TVs is that they do not have native eARC from internal apps.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well as long as they support HDCP 2.2 those 18Gbps work on 4K titles. The older AVRs promised 4K on 18Gbps ports but they don’t work unless they have HDCP 2.2

Then you have AVRs with HDCP 2.2 ports that don’t support HDR10+. It’s always going to be some gotcha.

My Denon 2015 model AVR-X4200W was the first generation that got HDCP 2.2 and the early adopters of 4K was left behind. Same for TVs without HDCP 2.2 that existed at that time, as I recall.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

Right. 18Gbps ports on new AVRs are HDCP 2.2 compliant. Sometimes an older AVR isn't the HDCP issue. There are issues with some older HDCP 1.4 devices working in a 4K HDCP 2.2 environment. Luckily, new AVRs can accommodate this issue. Oppo offered a firmware update for some of their older players because of the issue. I have to make certain settings in my Yamaha and certain other setting in my Onkyo to get my Toshiba HD-A35 to produce a picture in my HDCP 2.2 system.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right. 18Gbps ports on new AVRs are HDCP 2.2 compliant. Sometimes an older AVR isn't the HDCP issue. There are issues with some older HDCP 1.4 devices working in a 4K HDCP 2.2 environment. Luckily, new AVRs can accommodate this issue. Oppo offered a firmware update for some of their older players because of the issue. I have to make certain settings in my Yamaha and certain other setting in my Onkyo to get my Toshiba HD-A35 to produce a picture in my HDCP 2.2 system.
Wow, HD-A35? I have a HD-A30 still in the nox and the format is already absolete. That's why I won't chase the 8K stuff, been burnt twice, actually 3.5x including the SVHS, and the Hi8, that's enough.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I think any top of the line model from any brand should be offering at least one 48Gbps HDMI port.
Let's be clear here. AVR vendors cannot upsell those full speed ports once on offer. It needs to be a simple chip upgrade on all models, to attract diverse price point crowd to AVRs. Yamaha made a disastrous decision on lower tier models to offer only 24 Gbps ports. Complete absurd and lack of understanding of the market they were trying to sell those AVR to. Even PS5 console is crippled when connected to those Yamaha up to A2A. Denon has much better offer here. Even the lowest models have four or five 40 Gbps ports, for $400.

48 Gbps port is not a premium feature in PC world. It's a standard port on modern graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD, from the most expensive ones to the chepeast ones for a few hundred bucks. Kind of a no brainer.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, I tend to use HDCP 2.2 and 2.3 interchangeably.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, HD-A35? I have a HD-A30 still in the nox and the format is already absolete. That's why I won't chase the 8K stuff, been burnt twice, actually 3.5x including the SVHS, and the Hi8, that's enough.
I originally purchased the XBOX 360 HD DVD add on. It was HDMI 1.2 and could not bitstream DD+ or Dolby True HD. I then purchased a used HD-A35 as I could not find a reasonably priced HD-XA2 at the time. The A30 couldn't bitstream DTHD to DTS HDMA even though it was HDMI 1.3.

I still use the HD-A35. Most times it is to watch Eagles Farewell I Tour(DTS HDMA) and Heart:Alive in Seattle(DTHD). I'll keep it in my system as long as it works. Do I feel burned? Not really. This schmuck also bought the Pioneer Laseractive and two of its LD PACs once upon a time.:D

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I know .4 is pretty standard, and I keep getting mixed reports of running .6... Some say it's great, other say it's a waste because sometimes there's no content. *shrugs
I likely wouldn't try to put .8 in anything but a larger dedicated HT. And even then, depending on the processor, I would probably give discrete Subwoofer channels the priority for the AVRs and AVPs that have those limited . :)
In terms of the soundfield and our ability to locate items within it (given an appropriate high quality 3D signal obviously) - I'm pretty sure that a well set up smallish 4.1.4 is all that is needed in terms of perception...

As the room and the screen grows, and the number of seats, as well as the distance between speakers is increased, you need to increase the number of speakers to maintain the illusion... but you also have to accurately process the soundfield for the number of speakers present and their location.

I'm not sure of the variables involved and their interaction - but there is definitely some sort of near field vs far field difference... which may therefore relate to reflections from around the room. ie when close to speakers - the direct sound completely dominates... when more distant, in many rooms the effect can be "muddied" by the reflections... so as we get more distant from the speakers, the reflections start to become a larger proportion of what is heard.... and moving to more speakers seems to help control this by providing more correct signals from the various directions (as opposed to the reflections which come from the wrong place AND at the wrong time...).

Now we have Dirac ART coming out and its associated paradigm shift... why do I say paradigm shift?
Well first of all the speakers all work cooperatively, so in the bass region where the sounds are either no localised or only semi localised, all the speakers in the room can contribute. Even if a speaker is 20db down in frequency response terms at that frequency, it can still provide a couple of db of input into the signal. So although most of the speakers have a -3db point at say 80Hz... they may well have useable signal much lower down... 40Hz or lower potentially.

Full range speakers, typically -3db at 30Hz or 40Hz - will easily go down below 20Hz in many cases.

So now you effectively have the performance of at least an additional subwoofer, distributed around the room... for many people and many systems, this may eliminate the need for a sub.

Second thing is, Dirac-ART is all about using noise cancelling style reverse phase signals to cancel some of the reflections that cause peaks and troughs within the listening room....
Active cancellation (or more accurately reduction in amplitude) of reflections.
Some of the same reflections that muddy the surround field (as mentioned above)

Yes DL-ART will allow for improved and far more even bass response through the room, and in its initial launch version, limited to 150Hz, that is its primary function.

But Dirac was also talking about raising the 150Hz limit, and moving to a 500Hz limit fairly soon... that really moves into the critical midrange - where many/most of the 3D surround effects live.

If you have active control of the reflections in this way, does this reduce the need for additional speakers? (particularly in more typical smaller spaces eg: single seat, or single shared couch)

Given cooperative audio courtesy of DL-ART, it seems likely that more than two subs would be overkill, and many systems would do just as well with a single sub (and full range L/R).
It also seems that we could be looking at optimal setups being (or starting from) 5.2.4, and anything beyond that might end up being overkill - additional expense and complexity for little or no discernible improvement.

With a proper "location" algorithm, it really isn't about how many channels are present, as the signal isn't in "channels" but in positions - and it is up to the decoder to then translate it into the number of channels present.
Even with recordings where the signal is defined in "channels" the positioning of the channels is based on standards, and where there are more or less speakers than the recorded channels have, the decoder then "positions" the signal where it needs to be...
(that's the theory anyway!)

So yeah - I am skeptical of the 16 channel + configurations.... unless you have a 3 row or larger theatre, there's just no point!

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I originally purchased the XBOX 360 HD DVD add on. It was HDMI 1.2 and could not bitstream DD+ or Dolby True HD. I then purchased a used HD-A35 as I could not find a reasonably priced HD-XA2 at the time. The A30 couldn't bitstream DTHD to DTS HDMA even though it was HDMI 1.3.

I still use the HD-A35. Most times it is to watch Eagles Farewell I Tour(DTS HDMA) and Heart:Alive in Seattle(DTHD). I'll keep it in my system as long as it works. Do I feel burned? Not really. This schmuck also bought the Pioneer Laseractive and two of its LD PACs once upon a time.:D
The Laserdiscs were substantially better than anything else at the time....
I remember them well circa 85 to 88....

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
It's a complex field of research. The most humble approach is that there are no simple answers, such as that we can see differences between 90 or 150 or 400 fps. It does not work like that. There are plenty of studies and ways to measure what human eye can see under certain conditions. Some tests measure merely ability to process flickering of light, which is not what gamers do. They process moving images and track objects, which involves more visuo-spatial systems.

Perception of fast moving objects will depend on type of display, type of content, quality of image and factors within our visual system. You can do a quick self-test with a classic UFO moving image. The higher fps, the more smooth moving object appears to be, with less choppiness and less blur. This website also gives you persistence test, ghosting tests, panning and black frame insertion. All interesting on their own. If you have a high refresh rate good monitor, you can even determine confortable fps value and upper value of visible fps for your own eyes. When I scroll through large .pdf file, on ~100Hz setting it feels comfortable enough to still see some parts of text. 60Hz setting is too blurry. 144Hz scrolling looks even better.

Display type (TN/LCD/OLED) can affect how you experience clarity and smoothness of fast moving content, with ghosting and blooming effects that can significantly reduce out ability to perceive smooth and well-defined, but fast moving objects. Devil is always in details. Finally, you can train your eyes to enjoy higher refresh rate display. Here is some reading.
Hope this answers some of your questions. It's a fascinating topic, but for different thread with more details. Apologies to all for taking space here.
Thanks for those links - interesting reading...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If they would remove the power amp section, replace that 26 lbs transformer with the much lighter (5 lbs?) toroid used in the AV10, and sell it as an A1P for $3,500 or even $4,500, it would be a killer 35 lbs AVP as an alternative to the $7,000 AV10!!

But I think Maximo knows full well that would eat in to their high margin AV10 sales, because even the die hard Marantz suckers know better.:p

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Strong hands along with a strong back. :D
It is easier to pick up a 85 lbs German Shepherd than a 70 lbs rectangular A1H for sure, as shapes/geometry make a difference too. One needs to have not only strong hands/arms, but also long ones, for better mechanical advantage.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It is easier to pick up a 85 lbs German Shepherd than a 70 lbs rectangular A1H for sure, as shapes/geometry make a difference too. One needs to have not only strong hands/arms, but also long ones, for better mechanical advantage.
With a well-trained German Shepherd you can order it around while that pesky receiver will just ignore you. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis