Denon AVR-S740H (HDMI ARC / CEC Issue)

P

PDC20

Enthusiast
Hello,
I found this thread thru a google search. I have the exact same (pretty identical) problem as above. I have the Denon AVR S740 receiver in a cabinet with HDMI ARC to a SAMSUNG TV. Again, my problems are pretty identical to the above. I was wondering if you figured out a solution? I know this thread is nearly 4 years old and I’m hoping to find any help. I reset to factory, unplugged TV and receiver. It works for a few days and then the settings dont stay. Sometimes no audio comes from the speakers. The audio output option for the receiver from the TV disappears. Could it be the receiver itself?
OP here. Yes I found the solution: receiver is great, but refuses to play with Samsung. Whether it's a Samsung issue or Denon issue doesn't matter to me since they simply do not get along.
We have an LG TV I now use the Denon receiver with. Works great.
For the Samsung TV I purchased a Yamaha receiver. Works great.
Fully functional ARC on both setups. Don't need the receiver remotes. TV turns on via remote, receiver follows immediately.

J

jaydee30

Audiophyte
OP here. Yes I found the solution: receiver is great, but refuses to play with Samsung. Whether it's a Samsung issue or Denon issue doesn't matter to me since they simply do not get along.
We have an LG TV I now use the Denon receiver with. Works great.
For the Samsung TV I purchased a Yamaha receiver. Works great.
Fully functional ARC on both setups. Don't need the receiver remotes. TV turns on via remote, receiver follows immediately.
Thank you for the fast response!!! I wonder why theres a compatibility issue. I guess I’ll have to look into Yamaha! Thank you again!

P

PDC20

Enthusiast
Thank you for the fast response!!! I wonder why theres a compatibility issue. I guess I’ll have to look into Yamaha! Thank you again!
Also consider the age of the TV. My old LG from 2014 didn't work but my LG from 2021 works fine.

J

jaydee30

Audiophyte
Also consider the age of the TV. My old LG from 2014 didn't work but my LG from 2021 works fine.
Got it thanks. My Samsung is only about 3 years old. Even when I use the denon app on my phone, the setting don’t stay and sometimes no audio comes out. Its just weird how it used to work fine before but not anymore.

P

PDC20

Enthusiast
Got it thanks. My Samsung is only about 3 years old. Even when I use the denon app on my phone, the setting don’t stay and sometimes no audio comes out. Its just weird how it used to work fine before but not anymore.
I like your odds with Yamaha. Good luck!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is a well known issue with Samsung TVs. We have had this before. Changing receivers will not help. One question though. How long is your HDMI cable between receiver and TV. Current equipment needs to have hybrid active cables if the run is 25' or more and some say more then 12.5' for optimal results. My run is 33' which makes an active cable mandatory.

J

jaydee30

Audiophyte
This is a well known issue with Samsung TVs. We have had this before. Changing receivers will not help. One question though. How long is your HDMI cable between receiver and TV. Current equipment needs to have hybrid active cables if the run is 25' or more and some say more then 12.5' for optimal results. My run is 33' which makes an active cable mandatory.
This is good to know. My cable is approx. 30ft long. The previous home owner placed all the cables in a small cabinet across the room. He ran two cat5/6 cables thru the walls and into the cabinet to a HDMI converter. Due to those cables not being ARC compatible, i bought a 30’ HDMI ARC compatible cable from amazon and connected it from the tv to the receiver. I’m new to all this. Didnt know the hybrid active cables were an option. I appreciate the help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is good to know. My cable is approx. 30ft long. The previous home owner placed all the cables in a small cabinet across the room. He ran two cat5/6 cables thru the walls and into the cabinet to a HDMI converter. Due to those cables not being ARC compatible, i bought a 30’ HDMI ARC compatible cable from amazon and connected it from the tv to the receiver. I’m new to all this. Didnt know the hybrid active cables were an option. I appreciate the help.
Then that is probably your problem.

Ruipro are the go to guys for quality hybrid copper/Fiber optic cables.

This is what you need, and what I have.

These cables are directional as there is opposite conversion at opposing ends. So pay attention to the arrows.

You will also need a voltage inserter, or you will blow up your HDMI board.

So with an HDMI cable that length that is the gear you need.

J

jaydee30

Audiophyte
Then that is probably your problem.

Ruipro are the go to guys for quality hybrid copper/Fiber optic cables.

This is what you need, and what I have.

These cables are directional as there is opposite conversion at opposing ends. So pay attention to the arrows.

You will also need a voltage inserter, or you will blow up your HDMI board.

So with an HDMI cable that length that is the gear you need.
Thank you! The voltage inserter would go to the receiver correct? To the HDMI ARC output?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis