• Thread starter Garreth Thompson
  • Start date
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I have nothing against them, other than it adds complication and a point of failure
sorry Doc I completely disagree

Technics SL-1200G, show me one belt or rim drive at its price point that's more accurate or reliable, I'll wait patiently..........

and for that matter I seriously doubt if any of your tables have better specs ??

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Lets not turn this into yet another insipid and pointless DD verses belt drive debate. :rolleyes: Both designs offer such good performance that the effects of wow and flutter are all but inaudible. It renders the DD verses belt drive debate moot and any points being made by either camp become fan based.
That really wasn't my main point- it was simple vs complex.

highfigh

highfigh

Belts and rim drives are complicated if dd is. Well built dd tts are quite reliable. That's why they generally were favored by many "disc jockeys". Radio stations used disc jockeys, and at one point were a large user group before going digital. The Technics SP10 is legendary. Not Gerrard (whose reputation generally is quite overrated).
You're not thinking of the Zero 100 and generic late-'60s and '70s stuff that BSR copied, are you? Those are far from the ones Mark prefers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Belts and rim drives are complicated if dd is. Well built dd tts are quite reliable. That's why they generally were favored by many "disc jockeys". Radio stations used disc jockeys, and at one point were a large user group before going digital. The Technics SP10 is legendary. Not Gerrard (whose reputation generally is quite overrated).
Radio stations used DD turntables because they came up to speed in a quarter revolution so it made cueing up the next song much easier.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That really wasn't my main point- it was simple vs complex.
My post wasn't aimed at you or anyone else in particular. This thread is just moving in that direction which is not beneficial to the OP.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My post wasn't aimed at you or anyone else in particular. This thread is just moving in that direction which is not beneficial to the OP.
you don't know that, he hasn't returned since he started the thread 3 days ago ? But just in case he does return and was not trying to 'instigate' ;) , I'd like him to share more info about his system and in particular analog set up. It sounds like he he want to make a change for change sake ?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
you don't know that, he hasn't returned since he started the thread 3 days ago ? But just in case he does return and was not trying to 'instigate' ;) , I'd like him to share more info about his system and in particular analog set up. It sounds like he he want to make a change for change sake ?

I agree the OP was trying to make a change for change sake with no apparent improvement in his choice over the current one.

highfigh

highfigh

I agree the OP was trying to make a change for change sake with no apparent improvement in his choice over the current one.
But, but, this is America, where we can get what we want, when we want it, a lot of it, all the time!

"Mommy, why do we have so many gigantic landfills?"

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You're worried now after no problems for 40 years? :) How big a problem are the speed controllers in real life (from a well made dd like Technics?)
That was the issue with my CEC linear tracking table. I can't get the strobe to line up any more and suspect some bad caps in the timing circuit or motor control. I did get a good 30 years out of it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was the issue with my CEC linear tracking table. I can't get the strobe to line up any more and suspect some bad caps in the timing circuit or motor control. I did get a good 30 years out of it.
Linear tracking is a tech I always stayed away from, no one ever seemed to get that quite right with longevity, but 30 years sounds pretty good. A quick search came up with an ST630?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Radio stations used DD turntables because they came up to speed in a quarter revolution so it made cueing up the next song much easier.
You're not thinking of the Zero 100 and generic late-'60s and '70s stuff that BSR copied, are you? Those are far from the ones Mark prefers.
I did use an early actual Zero 100 but thought it clunky, my dad had a Gerrard before that, which was unremarkable (nor did it last all that long).

I have been following the SL1200 line for a long time, the controller issue is a rarity, can't even remember it but maybe once. I have seen reports of issues when people make alterations/substitutions to the platters of dd units otherwise, tho....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I just picked up a Pro-Ject Carbon Evo demo unit from Audio Advisors for $429. Outside of some scuffs on the dust cover, the unit is pristine.

I will use the money I saved and put it towards a better cartridge. I didn't want to spend more than $600. While it is a pain to change the belt (You have to lift up the platter) It reviewed very well. I have no complaints with my walnut one I already own in my main room.

Yes, Loki has to check out all my new audio toys which is very annoying!

evo.jpg

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Linear tracking is a tech I always stayed away from, no one ever seemed to get that quite right with longevity, but 30 years sounds pretty good. A quick search came up with an ST630?
Yup, ST630. I have two of them because I got my wife one too while we were dating. My daughter snapped the tone arm off of mine at the age of 3 or 4. My wife's is the survivor. :) Direct drive and I put the top of line Audio Technica p-mount cartridge on it. Only complaint is that the plinth transferred vibrations to the tone arm because it was plastic. A solid plinth would have made the CEC a great turntable at a low cost.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just picked up a Pro-Ject Carbon Evo demo unit from Audio Advisors for $429. Outside of some scuffs on the dust cover, the unit is pristine.

I will use the money I saved and put it towards a better cartridge. I didn't want to spend more than $600. While it is a pain to change the belt (You have to lift up the platter) It reviewed very well. I have no complaints with my walnut one I already own in my main room.

View attachment 60211
Is that the correct model? On my EVO, there is a switch under the plinth on the left side for 33 and 45. I only have to move the belt for 78s. So, basically, never. ;) Did it come with the Sumiko instead of the Ortofon? While the platter has dampening material around the inner edge, it does still ring a little. I opted to upgrade to the acrylic platter a few months later. Makes it look fancier too. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, ST630. I have two of them because I got my wife one too while we were dating. My daughter snapped the tone arm off of mine at the age of 3 or 4. My wife's is the survivor. :) Direct drive and I put the top of line Audio Technica p-mount cartridge on it. Only complaint is that the plinth transferred vibrations to the tone arm because it was plastic. A solid plinth would have made the CEC a great turntable at a low cost.
Yes, not all dd tables (or any other design) are created equally. Just hard to imagine a more durable unit compared to most with the SL1200 lineup.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 60211
Is it missing the counterweight and antiskate weight or did you not put them on before you took the picture?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Is it missing the counterweight and antiskate weight or did you not put them on before you took the picture?
I have it all, I literally just unpacked it. They did a solid job packing everything together. I have not set it up. You can see the cartridge still has the twistie ties and cover on it. I am waiting for my Marantz 40n Integrated to come in which should be Sat or Monday depending on UPS I hope.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Is that the correct model? On my EVO, there is a switch under the plinth on the left side for 33 and 45. I only have to move the belt for 78s. So, basically, never. ;) Did it come with the Sumiko instead of the Ortofon? While the platter has dampening material around the inner edge, it does still ring a little. I opted to upgrade to the acrylic platter a few months later. Makes it look fancier too. :)
It has the switch, This is a newer model then my other one. You are right BONUS! Sumiko head came with this unit, my older one came with the RED. Will probably get a Ortofon Blue.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have it all, I literally just unpacked it. They did a solid job packing everything together. I have not set it up. You can see the cartridge still has the twistie ties and cover on it. I am waiting for my Marantz 40n Integrated to come in which should be Sat or Monday depending on UPS I hope.
I love ProJect's carbon fiber tonearms. They are amazing trackers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The point is that both the Garrard 301s and the Thorens TD 150 are iconic. Both were in the top TT of all times, the Garrard 301 number 1 on the list. The Garrard 301 is iconic as it was the world's first truly Hi-Fidelity turntable. This turntable was produced before the synchronous motor and electronic speed control. The speed control is managed by an ingenious eddy current brake as part of the motor assembly. It works superbly. Although an idler wheel design, its rumble specs are superb, and rumble is not audible. This was achieved by outstanding and legendary craftmanship. They have stood the test of time and are a monument to the precision engineering of the time.

The Thorens TD 150 is iconic in that it was the fist turntable with synchronous motor and belt drive. Its beauty is its simplicity. I have only changed the belt once in 67 years and that was only because I thought I should.

I know that turntables and LPs have a vogue, and excellent turntables, superbly engineered arms and cartridges, can sound very good. But everything has to be obsessionally set up. Even at their very best, with the finest recordings, they can not compete for fidelity and convenience with digital audio.

So I am honest about it, and refer to my turntables, reel to reel, cassette machines and associated equipment as the museum section of my system. That is exactly what it is, and restored and maintained to show just how good it really was and is. In this way history is properly preserved. Whether future generations will have this desire to preserve our audio past, only time will tell.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis