B Speakers and front out

R

ronn1971

Audiophyte
Hi, If I connect the B speakers to my speaker switch and connect the front pre out to my power amp, can I run them together? Or I just have to choose one of them the I play the music?
I don't use other speakers output just the B and front pre out.
Thanks for helping.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
ALWAYS: When you ask for help, provide a make and model number of the equipment you are asking about.

This sounds like a RTFM question to me. You certainly can use the B speaker output and the A speaker output of most receivers at the same time. Not sure what the 'front pre-out' is. Not a clue on your specific product, what the heck you're talking about. If you mean the HEADPHONE jack, then odds are good that it completely turns off all amplification when you plug something into it as it is not a pre-out, but a 1/4" TRS stereo headphone jack or similar.

But, really... WHO KNOWS?!?!? Without an actual product listed, you are getting guesses, not good information.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on your AVR, but in most cases the preouts and speaker outs are both active at all times. I think I have only seen the ability to disable internal amps on one or two AVRs. As BMX mentioned though, your manual will have that info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
it’s an old receiver Onkyo TX-SR309. Thanks
I don't see that unit has any pre-outs except for a subwoofer. If you do run simultaneous A/B on the avr's speaker terminals it may be limited as you're likely going to be running them on the same amp channels and face impedance issues. There's not much point to running two pair of stereo (2.0) speakers, either, you won't get proper stereo imaging that way, altho output would be higher overall. Probably better to use the main speaker terminals and use the surround terminals in an all-ch stereo mode if you really want to double up.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
And still... No make or model number. *sigh*
He thinks we’re nostrodoamus and can read his future lol and system .
Yeah without a receiver model number no one can help the op much .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He thinks we’re nostrodoamus and can read his future lol and system .
Yeah without a receiver model number no one can help the op much .
He already provided it, pay attention.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah my bad his avr doesn’t have pre outs.
he doesn’t need a speaker switcher .
Generally most don't even need your commentary. Did you ever get a job and move out of your parents' basement?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Generally most don't even need your commentary. Did you ever get a job and move out of your parents' basement?
I don’t live in the basement , it’s for storage . Finding a job isn’t easy can’t stand long enough and 95% of jobs are standing . It’s a work in progress, im trying to fight insomnia anxiety and tons of stuff . I’ll probably have to learn how to deliver food on Uber eats or something. Maybe even apply for package delivery, just I can’t stand around all day . Any other ideas of desk or driving jobs no cdl required ??
Right now I can’t sleep too like 4-6am good luck working anywhere insomnia that severe . Probably evening shift or afternoons.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t live in the basement , it’s for storage . Finding a job isn’t easy can’t stand long enough and 95% of jobs are standing . It’s a work in progress, im trying to fight insomnia anxiety and tons of stuff . I’ll probably have to learn how to deliver food on Uber eats or something. Maybe even apply for package delivery, just I can’t stand around all day . Any other ideas of desk or driving jobs no cdl required ??
Have no idea why you are so limited in general. Let alone with comments on audio/visual issues way beyond your abilities. I hope you find a way to support yourself, but just doesn't seem like you're progressing from being a sad sack.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Have no idea why you are so limited in general. Let alone with comments on audio/visual issues way beyond your abilities. I hope you find a way to support yourself, but just doesn't seem like you're progressing from being a sad sack.
The system was created not for the people but the elites , you can’t blame me for shipping lot of the easy desk jobs out of usa to China and India . Places want tons of experience for entry level jobs as much as 2 years work experience in that feild . It’s a neofeudal system , that’s the truth .. I didn’t purposely destroy my knees either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The system was created not for the people but the elites , you can’t blame me for shipping lot of the easy desk jobs out of usa to China and India . Places want tons of experience for entry level jobs as much as 2 years work experience in that feild . It’s a neofeudal system , that’s the truth .. I didn’t purposely destroy my knees either.
You still just sound like a self pitying sad sack than anyone capable. You just failed.

ps and apparently incapable of moving beyond your failure

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Edit, sometimes it’s the employers fault lower job standards or people refuse to work. They want to pay slave wages around here for stuf in other states is 20+ a hour .
I’ll probably just settle for anything not physical labor intense .

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Edit, sometimes it’s the employers fault lower job standards or people refuse to work. They want to pay slave wages around here for stuf in other states is 20+ a hour .
I’ll probably just settle for anything not physical labor intense .
Or you're just incapable.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hi, If I connect the B speakers to my speaker switch and connect the front pre out to my power amp, can I run them together? Or I just have to choose one of them the I play the music?
I don't use other speakers output just the B and front pre out.
Thanks for helping.
Thanks for providing a model number. That makes it all quite clear about some of your options.

Still, it would be helpful to know what your specific usage is?
Do you run surround sound in your main 'A' zone?
What are the speakers and where are they in your 'B' zone?
Are you okay with the 'A' and 'B' zones playing at the same volume?
How many additional speakers do you want to connect to the preouts?

The Onkyo you have does have a set of preouts at fixed line level for the VCR. According to the manual, on page 28, it looks like the VCR out audio output connections can be set to any source you want and that they will work always.

This means you can hook them up to a amplifier, then into a speaker selector to play audio in other zones of your home as you choose. This is actually a great usage of these connections and is something I would encourage if that's the goal of the system.

Page 26 of the same manual describes the functionality of the A-B speaker operation. If speaker A is the only one on, then it will playback audio using 5.1 surround sound. If you playback audio in the A&B mode, then it will rob the amplifier channels for the 'B' speakers. Leaving you with 2.1 audio in the 'A' zone and 2.0 stereo in the 'B' zone. This may be adequate, but that's up to you. In 'B' only mode, it is also just playing back 2.0 stereo in the 'B' zone.

This is older, but there is a lot of stuff out there which pre-dates HDMI, so this isn't really nearly as old like some stuff is.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Or you're just incapable.
The same defeatist excuses is all I get from millennials these days and is why at 60 yrs old, I am still doing all the work. We shipped the last two down the road because they couldn't stay off the phones and missed too many days except paydays and were dragging us down. They don't understand that pay increases with gained, legitimate skill, and it's a pretty long road, and not the other way around.

Honestly, I hope they all stay home until after I am gone. They would never put in what time it takes to catch me skill-wise anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis