Suggestions for a cheap surround sound system for my PC?

V

velos

Enthusiast
Been told on another forum that to be compatible with my PC, the system has to have its own integrated electronics (pre-amps and final amps). My rig: Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini-Tower, Quad Core i7 3770 (3.4GHz), 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB Hard Drive: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. I had a mobile rack (Syba SY-MRA55006) installed in the spare 5.25 bay. My open-concept studio is about 30x30ft. I'm looking for something under $300 (the more under the better). I'm no audiophile, and it does not need to be fancy...just able to drown out the howling neighbors, barking dogs and alley racers with ambient background noise...probably with something like this:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The packaged Logitech 5.1 systems can do well for the money....and are suited to computers. What kinds of audio output connections does your computer provide?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like all you've got is (in the connector section, #7) a typical 3.5mm (1/8") stereo (2.0) output, but don't see a way to do multich (5.1 or better)/surround. No multich analog outs, no hdmi, no optical or digital coax outputs....to the right gear you could wirelessly send a multich signal I suppose, but likely out of budget to go that route. Maybe just get a 2.1 set of speakers for now that can work off the wired audio output. Maybe something like this https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/speakers/z623-speaker-system-thx.980-000402.html or maybe just get headphones....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Klipsch Pro media 2.1, you need a bigger budget for what your asking for .

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
With that PC not having proper surround sound, I would look for closed back wireless headphones that support surround sound in their design. Since it seems you have neighbors, it will help isolate you from them, and will not further the issue by you adding more noise to the entire ordeal. I would get closed back headphones to really isolate yourself from ambient sounds while providing a very solid experience, especially with the current PC in use.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have my pc hooked into an old used Denon AVR. I can do almost anything from it. If you're into multimedia from a pc, an AVR is a pretty good investment. It has a good balance of best of everything and functionality about it. Even outdated ones.

V

velos

Enthusiast
Klipsch Pro media 2.1, you need a bigger budget for what your asking for .
I currently have a Logitech Z323 speaker system. Would the Klipsch Pro media 2.1 be enough improvement to warrant it?

V

velos

Enthusiast
With that PC not having proper surround sound, I would look for closed back wireless headphones that support surround sound in their design. Since it seems you have neighbors, it will help isolate you from them, and will not further the issue by you adding more noise to the entire ordeal. I would get closed back headphones to really isolate yourself from ambient sounds while providing a very solid experience, especially with the current PC in use.
Been told I could have a low-profile sound card installed to remedy that, but this is last resort. What about a stand-alone surround sound audio system? Like one with the speakers and amp and all that? Any way to connect the PC to that? If not, I guess I could just use the PC to burn CDs to use in it.

Headphones only help me. I also have a skittish cat that does not appreciate the noise, and I doubt would be inclined to wear headphones. I'm looking to drown out the so-called neighbors, and if they don't appreciate the sonic competition, I really don't care. This is my nonviolent solution.

V

velos

Enthusiast
Looks like all you've got is (in the connector section, #7) a typical 3.5mm (1/8") stereo (2.0) output, but don't see a way to do multich (5.1 or better)/surround. No multich analog outs, no hdmi, no optical or digital coax outputs....to the right gear you could wirelessly send a multich signal I suppose, but likely out of budget to go that route. Maybe just get a 2.1 set of speakers for now that can work off the wired audio output. Maybe something like this https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/speakers/z623-speaker-system-thx.980-000402.html or maybe just get headphones....
Okay, let's assume for now that getting this PC to do surround sound is a deadend. What about a stand-alone surround sound system for playing CDs? I know nothing about this stuff. What exactly by way of components would I need, and how cheap could I get it? I have no interest in video, AM/FM, or much anything else...just CDs (or music DVDs) at enough volume/power/clarity to mask the outside noise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe a cheap HTIB (home theater in a box) set that can play optical discs. Might be hard at your budget, maybe used. Might not be particularly good quality nor particularly loud.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Second hand av receiver. Second hand speakers subwoofer. And then you can enjoy the audio to the fullest potential!

V

velos

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the ideas. Next month I have budgeted for this sound card:

...unless I'm warned off from buying it here! So far as I can tell it will fit my rig, provide 5.1 capability, and is not a wallet-buster. I'm still open to suggestions for other sound cards though, but I've decided installing a sound card is the best solution. If everyone signs off on this card, then the next step is to find a 5.1 surround sound system compatible with the sound card. I know nothing about this, such as do I need just a speaker system, one that includes an amp or what exactly? I'd want something decent, but I'm no audiophile, and I'd definitely like to keep it under $400 (the more under the better). I don't need to shake the house and rattle windows a block away, but it has to have enough power to blot out the neighborhood noise pollution.

Edit: Just got off chat with the sound card supplier. They said I need a 5.1 Surround analog speaker system (no amp) with 3.5mm stereo jacks.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

...unless I'm warned off from buying it here! So far as I can tell it will fit my rig, provide 5.1 capability, and is not a wallet-buster. I'm still open to suggestions for other sound cards though, but I've decided installing a sound card is the best solution. If everyone signs off on this card, then the next step is to find a 5.1 surround sound system compatible with the sound card. I know nothing about this, such as do I need just a speaker system, one that includes an amp or what exactly? I'd want something decent, but I'm no audiophile, and I'd definitely like to keep it under $400 (the more under the better). I don't need to shake the house and rattle windows a block away, but it has to have enough power to blot out the neighborhood noise pollution.
I would hold off on the card for a moment and discuss your sources more. You didn't respond to the suggestion of surround sound headphones, so I'll assume they are off the table and you want a speaker setup.

Is this mostly for music or for music and gaming? If you also use the rig for gaming, then a 5.1 card like the Soundblaster can make sense and we can discuss 5.1 speaker systems to match. It's going to be hard to improve on your speakers with a $400 budget though. For a 5.1 setup you are paying for 5 speakers, a subwoofer and amplification. A Logitech Z906 is closer to $400 new plus the $45 for your Soundblaster. You will likely need to look at the used market to find a 5.1 setup under $400.

If this is for music mostly then your source material will be stereo and you can get better sound with a 2.1 setup like you have now. The built in audio on the Dell 1/8" jack is not particularly high quality, so using an external DAC with your computer's USB port will sound better (no sound card needed). I would recommend a powered speaker like the Kanto YU2 (on sale on Crutchfield for $230). These are known to have good audio quality for music but only go down to 80Hz so you will likely want to add a subwoofer. (The YU2 does have a subwoofer output). You could add a Dayton Audio subwoofer from Parts Express for around $155 and be within the $400.

If the budget is tight, Edifier has less expensive powered speakers but not all models have USB or subwoofer outputs (some use RCA in, so you need an 1/8" to RCA adapter, or they use optical or coaxial connections which I don't see on your Dell). You need to look carefully at the features.

Someone mentioned looking for a used receiver and speakers. That can be improved with an external DAC (digital to analogue converter) like an inexpensive Topping or you can use a 1/8" to RCA adapter and connect the PC to any line level RCA input on the receiver. That gives you the option to upgrade the speakers later.

If you go with the Soundblaster, note that you pretty much lock yourself into a computer speaker system like those from Logitech. Only PC speaker systems use the 5 analogue audio outputs on the sound card. Of the 5 jacks, you use the lower 3: stereo front, stereo rear and subwoofer. The Z906 for example includes a 3 connector cable that goes directly from the sound card to the subwoofer and the satellite speakers connect to the subwoofer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Edit: Just got off chat with the sound card supplier. They said I need a 5.1 Surround analog speaker system (no amp) with 3.5mm stereo jacks.
Forget the surround sound. Almost everything is two channel. You can't do surround on that budget anyway, unless you buy absolute junk, that won't last five minutes.

Get a pair of powered speakers like this.

You can add a sub later. Using a set of powered speakers from your sound card, is the only way to stay on budget.

C

CMG_ADL

Enthusiast
For desktop I reckon you don't go beyond a 2.1 set up.

I see people with a 5.1 setup, and they align all the speakers along the desk.

Anyway...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Look at this Peachtree powered speakers and all the different options ... In black is $40 cheaper

I would look at an Amp and speakers ... a couple of options

Speaker options ... and will have some bass
Elac

KEF

But closed back headphones are a good option

Wireless headphones

Last edited:
V

velos

Enthusiast
I would hold off on the card for a moment and discuss your sources more. You didn't respond to the suggestion of surround sound headphones, so I'll assume they are off the table and you want a speaker setup.

Is this mostly for music or for music and gaming? If you also use the rig for gaming, then a 5.1 card like the Soundblaster can make sense and we can discuss 5.1 speaker systems to match. It's going to be hard to improve on your speakers with a $400 budget though. For a 5.1 setup you are paying for 5 speakers, a subwoofer and amplification. A Logitech Z906 is closer to $400 new plus the $45 for your Soundblaster. You will likely need to look at the used market to find a 5.1 setup under $400.

If this is for music mostly then your source material will be stereo and you can get better sound with a 2.1 setup like you have now. The built in audio on the Dell 1/8" jack is not particularly high quality, so using an external DAC with your computer's USB port will sound better (no sound card needed). I would recommend a powered speaker like the Kanto YU2 (on sale on Crutchfield for $230). These are known to have good audio quality for music but only go down to 80Hz so you will likely want to add a subwoofer. (The YU2 does have a subwoofer output). You could add a Dayton Audio subwoofer from Parts Express for around $155 and be within the $400.

If the budget is tight, Edifier has less expensive powered speakers but not all models have USB or subwoofer outputs (some use RCA in, so you need an 1/8" to RCA adapter, or they use optical or coaxial connections which I don't see on your Dell). You need to look carefully at the features.

Someone mentioned looking for a used receiver and speakers. That can be improved with an external DAC (digital to analogue converter) like an inexpensive Topping or you can use a 1/8" to RCA adapter and connect the PC to any line level RCA input on the receiver. That gives you the option to upgrade the speakers later.

If you go with the Soundblaster, note that you pretty much lock yourself into a computer speaker system like those from Logitech. Only PC speaker systems use the 5 analogue audio outputs on the sound card. Of the 5 jacks, you use the lower 3: stereo front, stereo rear and subwoofer. The Z906 for example includes a 3 connector cable that goes directly from the sound card to the subwoofer and the satellite speakers connect to the subwoofer.
Yeah, already have headphones, and my rig has a jack so that base is covered, but that only takes care of me. I have an SPCA cat that came from an abusive home of screeching ferals and yapping yappers, so the mating howl of kidlets and barking of yappers sends him hiding under the table. Hence the need for an actual surround sound system, to create a sorta sci-fi sonic force field to blot out the noise pollution as much as possible...before I turn him into a Gabapentin addict.

I have zero interest in gaming, and not much more interest in movies...dealing with the noise pollution is my only goal. I have no problem buying from eBay, and I believe Newegg sells used and refurbished stuff now. The Logitech Z906 looks to fit the bill, and at $399 new, it should not be too hard to find a used one at $300:

I'm assuming this is a wired system (I detest wireless/wi-fi/bluetooth/IoT junk). The $400 budget is for the sound system itself. The $45 for a sound card is petty cash, and not something I need to budget for. My first choice is a computer speaker system. Second choice would be a standalone system geared towards playing CDs/DVDs...I expect that would require a CD player+amp+who knows what else...and I'd bet blow the budget.

V

velos

Enthusiast
Forget the surround sound. Almost everything is two channel. You can't do surround on that budget anyway, unless you buy absolute junk, that won't last five minutes.

Get a pair of powered speakers like this.

You can add a sub later. Using a set of powered speakers from your sound card, is the only way to stay on budget.
I don't do wireless anything. Probably should of mentioned that in the original post, so that was my oversight. The
AudioengineA2 specs don't look that much better than the Logitech Z323 I already have, especially at that price.

V

velos

Enthusiast
For desktop I reckon you don't go beyond a 2.1 set up.

I see people with a 5.1 setup, and they align all the speakers along the desk.

Anyway...
Not looking to align the speakers along the desk, but throughout the room. While I will likely be at the PC a lot, the goal is to fill a large open-concept studio with enough sound (and loud enough) to drown out the neighborhood cacophony.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis