Looking for a sub driver that can hit 20 hz

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
So I have to build a custom box for my room to get any subs in it. What I would like is it to hit 20hz. Size of driver doesn't matter but needs to do it in a space no bigger than 4cube ft. Power i would like to be between 500-1000 rms.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I looked at both sits any others i should look?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I looked at both sits any others i should look?
That’s why I said check diy section for more links , I’ve used diy audio site also. My sub is around 8 years old now, I'm not sure but people still use a those two sites for subs.
Still trying to find a spot for it in my new bedroom. 22x21x23 is huge ! So consider size you want mines a 15”.
A simple google search for subwoofer driver will also net results. All hit 20hz depending on your box design. :D

I could find more sites but why take away your fun .also compare diy to hsu, svs ,Psa options.

Last edited:
S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
None if those brands will work. Like I stated I have a build a custom box to fit my space. Lowest driver I found on parts express with fs was 21 hz. I will probably go with it if I can't find anything else.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
None if those brands will work. Like I stated I have a build a custom box to fit my space. Lowest driver I found on parts express with fs was 21 hz. I will probably go with it if I can't find anything else.
The box sealed or ported will allow the sub to go low, best of luck yeah it’s hard to fit a certain sized sub . Any sub can hit 20hz if ported, not all can sealed . I forgot the name for the modeling software for boxes and stuff , I went sealed for my 15” I got no clue how low it actually goes hehe . I got no rew.. :( my pc Died with the model on it .
Should be easy to find I suggest the diy section for better information I’m a bit Rusty no diy subs in 8-10 years haha .
The box dictates ulf and stuff not just driver parameters, fs may be important for you though. Get whatever driver works best in a smaller box.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It that volume you are going to be looking at a sealed alignment with lots of Eq, and lots of power. I would look at the Dayton Ultimax line and model a sealed enclosure. Then you will need Eq at 12 db. per octave at the F3 of the speaker enclosure alignment. Even then you will likely have to put a high pass 12 db per octave filter at 25 Hz because of x-max issues. You really don't need to go below 25 Hz because of room gain issues in most rooms.

I could easily have made the close miked response flat and pretty, but had to curtail it.

But this is the response at the MLP from room gain.

So having an extended bass response is more often than not bad engineering and will not sound good. You have to look at the total picture.

I have a lot of models on my website, and this is as close as I can get you with a 12" driver, but the box volume is 5.6 cu.ft. So as I say, you will have to go sealed with Eq. at that volume constraint, but that will limit spl. versus vented.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I could probably push it to 6 cube ported. Im ok with 15 or 18 inch drivers. I think the best I have found is dayton 15 that does 21hz in a vented 3.8 box. So the f3 should be 18hz. Im good with that. I also found some vega subs that do 22 hz in a 15. Bad thing about this is its going to side load the room. There is no room at all on the other side.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I could probably push it to 6 cube ported. Im ok with 15 or 18 inch drivers. I think the best I have found is dayton 15 that does 21hz in a vented 3.8 box. So the f3 should be 18hz. Im good with that. I also found some vega subs that do 22 hz in a 15. Bad thing about this is its going to side load the room. There is no room at all on the other side.
Dang those are some good options.
Can’t go wrong with either choice 15-18” :D
Dayton subs look a lot like my stereo integrity.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Don't forget you have to add speaker driver volume, bracing and the port volume to the overall volume. The model I sent you had that figured in. What Dayton driver are you proposing using. I may have it modelled already, if not, I will do one for you. Make sure your port has enough area, or it will chuff like a steam engine.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
Either of these subs should work ok. Dayton MX15-22 or RSS390HF-4 for theb15 inch. Crazy would be this 18 inch Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Either of these subs should work ok. Dayton MX15-22 or RSS390HF-4 for theb15 inch. Crazy would be this 18 inch Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4
I have modelled that 18 and some members have built it. I like have modelled that 15 already. I will be gone today. I will look at it this evening. That 15" may be one I did a compact isobaric model for.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I would be into a compact isobaric setup. How low did your model go?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I built the ultimax 18 sub kit from parts express, it uses a 4 cu ft sealed box. EQ'ed with a minidsp it is flat down to 16 Hz in room.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I built the ultimax 18 sub kit from parts express, it uses a 4 cu ft sealed box. EQ'ed with a minidsp it is flat down to 16 Hz in room.
How hard are those kits to build did you use a plate amp or a pro amp ?
I might check see if they got any smaller sub kits . That’s a 18” sub that fits in the box you have same size and better then my mediocre diy job lol.
awsome looking sub the ultimax has a 12” also ? Ouch it’s still 65 pounds for the 12”.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This is my Isobarik design, not that driver, but size meets your requirements and F3 is 18.6.
I remember seeing a bandpass design with the UM15 driver and the RSSPR18 passive radiator in a relatively small enclosure with a f3 around 17hz, I've been trying to find it but don't recall which forum it was. Might be something to note next time you model the UM15.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I have never built a isobaric box. I have built many sealed and vented slot port. I have done some reading but not 100% sure of your plan spec. Does your build have 2 cambers one ported one sealed? If so what is the space inside each chamber?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I remember seeing a bandpass design with the UM15 driver and the RSSPR18 passive radiator in a relatively small enclosure with a f3 around 17hz, I've been trying to find it but don't recall which forum it was. Might be something to note next time you model the UM15.
That design I posted is NOT a band pass design, but it is isobarik. However Hoffman's iron law holds, as the reduced cabinet size come with a 3db loss in sensitivity.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That design I posted is NOT a band pass design, but it is isobarik. However Hoffman's iron law holds, as the reduced cabinet size come with a 3db loss in sensitivity.
I should have explained that Vb does not include the volume of the coupling chamber. This should be as small as you can make it. So the magnet of the front driver can be deep in the cone of the internal driver, but obviously leaving enough room for cone excursion of the rear driver. As I pointed out above, Hoffman's iron mans law applies as the sensitivity is reduced by 3 db. The physics of an isobaric is the driver Vas is halved which halves the box volume behind the internal speaker. So total enclosure volume is not halved as you have to add the volume of the coupling chamber. I did not include bracing or port volume, but for a vented enclosure with this performance this is definitely small. I doubt you will best it without goin sealed and adding Eq below F3.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis