Can we have a rational discussion about guns and why the typical arguments for gun control and its implementation won't work?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
When a six year od can take a gun to his pre-school and shoot a teacher, you lot really do have a problem. But as always nothing will happen, It's just another shooting like the 6000 shooting's in 2022
It might just be time to wake up.
Another one who doesn't want to blame the people involved.....

Don't know how closely you're watching the case about the 6 year old but apparently, the school was warned that he might bring a gun to school, he arrived late and his backpack was searched, but they found nothing. That means he, or someone else hid the gun for him to access it later. Now, how, exactly, is that the fault of the gun? The one good thing, if you want to call anything about this 'good', is that he only fired once. Whether it was because he stopped or the gun jammed, it's still a good thing.

You think the US had 6000 shootings? You're not paying attention- the total is a lot more than that and just to make it clear, AR-style weapons are used in a very small number of shootings, but A) they can be used from a greater distance, B) they can be used to kill a larger number of people and C), the media and people who deal with the world via their feelings more than by thinking make them seem more evil. Go ahead- try to hide a rifle, walk into any public building and let's see how far you get.

BTW- this is NOTHING like the other shootings in the US- this was intentional, the others that had kids shooting others were accidental.

You lot need to stop telling us how things are from across a big pond and realize that if national labels were removed and only the people were compared, they're NOT the same in all countries.

highfigh

highfigh

I have a couple of pistols a 22 and 38. Bought both with a background check. I still for the life of me don't understand a reluctance to require background checks for any firearm purchase.
You really don't think a background check is needed? The only sales that don't, are from a private seller to a private buyer and the fact that so many guns are illegally possessed/bought/sold should tell you that some people just don't want to obey the laws. Mandating a background check will only cause some to look for a private seller- they won't run off and file the proper forms because many would never pass. Any interstate sale/transfer requires an FFL to be involved and unless someone wants to deal with a bunch of trouble, they know it's best to do this legally. Criminals don't give a rat's butt, though.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You really don't think a background check is needed? The only sales that don't, are from a private seller to a private buyer and the fact that so many guns are illegally possessed/bought/sold should tell you that some people just don't want to obey the laws. Mandating a background check will only cause some to look for a private seller- they won't run off and file the proper forms because many would never pass. Any interstate sale/transfer requires an FFL to be involved and unless someone wants to deal with a bunch of trouble, they know it's best to do this legally. Criminals don't give a rat's butt, though.
If a person wants a gun, its so easy to get an illegal gun regardless of what this Govt does. You can have background checks, or even the total elimination of guns and a person if they wanted to can still get a gun. Just like illegal drugs, so easy to get regardless of the laws in this country. Sad yes, but that's the way it works in the illegal trade of anything.

highfigh

highfigh

If a person wants a gun, its so easy to get an illegal gun regardless of what this Govt does. You can have background checks, or even the total elimination of guns and a person if they wanted to can still get a gun. Just like illegal drugs, so easy to get regardless of the laws in this country. Sad yes, but that's the way it works in the illegal trade of anything.
When "I want" exceeds "I shouldn't".....Once again, Human Nature rears its ugly head.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I wish every sport shooter could do this. Then: go home, clean the firearm, and LOCK IT UP, UNLOADED.

I'm confident that's what you will do. :)

There are very few smallbore silhouette ranges in the country and in need of junior kids. When I see accuracy fall off at 100 meters, time to clean. If you use .22LR of middle to high grade qualiity, rifle only needs to be cleaned when accuracy falls off at 100 meters, or 2000 rounds. I resight in every couple weeks. Been shooting NRA competition smallbore rifle Silhouette, since 82, at our Beloit Rifle Club, Beloit, WI. The past 5 years, I am somewhat semi retired and do the calling at our monthly NRA sanctioned matches. Also, retired Club/State Silhouette Director. I'm 79.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
There are very few smallbore silhouette ranges in the country and in need of junior kids. When I see accuracy fall off at 100 meters, time to clean. If you use .22LR of middle to high grade qualiity, rifle only needs to be cleaned when accuracy falls off at 100 meters, or 2000 rounds. I resight in every couple weeks. Been shooting NRA competition smallbore rifle Silhouette, since 82, at our Beloit Rifle Club, Beloit, WI. The past 5 years, I am somewhat semi retired and do the calling at our monthly NRA sanctioned matches. Also, retired Club/State Silhouette Director. I'm 79.
That would be the veteran in me. We cleaned our rifles when we came inside, whether they were fired or not. Unfired, it may have been just to run some oil through them in case of condensation and/or dust. I just carried that over with my own rifles.

You didn't mention how you stored your firearms. I assume locked up?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Don't know how closely you're watching the case about the 6 year old but apparently, the school was warned that he might bring a gun to school,
It was a five second announcement from our news service, and yes it did lack any details.

But the question should be asked what were the child's parents doing, to allow him to access the gun, and why wasn't it locked away in a gun safe.
But like the rest of your country, you can always find someone else to blame.
By what I read in the rest of your post, it would seem to a stranger, that your at war with yourself. And the inbreds are simply fighting the inbreds. O'well welcome to hick's ville

highfigh

highfigh

It was a five second announcement from our news service, and yes it did lack any details.

But the question should be asked what were the child's parents doing, to allow him to access the gun, and why wasn't it locked away in a gun safe.
But like the rest of your country, you can always find someone else to blame.
By what I read in the rest of your post, it would seem to a stranger, that your at war with yourself. And the inbreds are simply fighting the inbreds. O'well welcome to hick's ville
The news doesn't seem to have been given many details and all we can do is guess as to why- nothing about the mom who bought the gun, noting at all about a dad- did she buy it as a way to protect herself and the kid from the dad? Very possible.

A segment of the US population is killing itself and I don't see anyone coming up with good solutions. Politicians want to blame guns, some would rather solve the problems among people who need help, some want to blame people without considering the mental health aspect.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
A segment of the US population is killing itself and I don't see anyone coming up with good solutions
I do understand where your coming from, and it's easy for someone in another country to criticize. From an outsiders perspective, it's easy to say what should happen, I think your problem, apart from your written laws, is your elected politicians seem to be in a strangle hold by your National Rifle group and by way of voting can block any reforms or change. So things will never change.

We in Australia have had our problems, The mass shooting in Port Arthur, Tasmania bought it to a head and the federal and state governments acted with a gun buy back, which lasted and really is still on going. Also gun dealers, and gun shops have all but closed, and heavy finds and prison sentences have been imposed to people dealing in illegal firearms, and ammo.

Gun clubs and shooting ranges still exist, but are heavily Policed , and in most cases firearms, have to remain under lock and key at the range. Of cause our population is much smaller then yours, and we don't have a political group dictating what can and can't change.

Of cause there are still shootings, only recently, police where ambushed and two officers died,as did the two offenders. And no laws will stop nut cases going of there heads with guns will change anything. But at least these cases are few and far between.

highfigh

highfigh

I do understand where your coming from, and it's easy for someone in another country to criticize. From an outsiders perspective, it's easy to say what should happen, I think your problem, apart from your written laws, is your elected politicians seem to have a strangle hold by your National Rifle group and by way of voting can block any reforms or change. So things will never change.

We in Australia have had our problems, The mass shooting in Port Arthur, Tasmania bought it to a head and the federal and state governments acted with a gun buy back, which lasted and really is still on going. Also gun dealers, and gun shops have all but closed, and heavy finds and prison sentences have been imposed to people dealing in illegal firearms, and ammo.

Gun clubs and shooting ranges still exist, but are heavily Policed , and in most cases firearms, have to remain under lock and key at the range. Of cause our population is much smaller then yours, and we don't have a political group dictating what can and can't change.

Of cause there are still shootings, only recently, police where ambushed and two officers died,as did the two offenders. And no laws will stop nut cases going of there heads with guns will change anything. But at least these cases are few and far between.
The NRA needs a new leader, but that won't happen until a lot of the members yank their heads out of their collective a$$. Protecting our 2A rights is one thing but that's not their cause.

The problem here, and I have harped on it for a long time is that too many people are completely thoughtless. They decide they need a gun, so they buy it/several from anyone who will sell it to them. No muss, no fuss, no laws obeyed.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
That would be the veteran in me. We cleaned our rifles when we came inside, whether they were fired or not. Unfired, it may have been just to run some oil through them in case of condensation and/or dust. I just carried that over with my own rifles.

You didn't mention how you stored your firearms. I assume locked up?
There is just the wife and I with no kids. The .22 rifle is stored in the basement heated/ac conditions. Winter it is 67 and summer 72F. I also have a dehumidifier in the basement, which is calibrated for 40% humidity. It seldom runs in our Wisconsin summers. I have a nice aluminum outer shell rifle case.

I go to the rifle range and return home to the basement with the rifle to install keyed trigger lock. I forgot.....sometimes I would run 5 dry patches down the .22LR barrel, looking for any white powder to subside, which is a dry cleaning.

I hope I have answered your question.

highfigh

highfigh

NRA: “Guns don’t kill, people kill people”
OK, let's look at it this way- do you think some people are good, while others are bad? If you want to look at it without 'good vs bad' being absolute, do you believe that some people are predisposed to good vs bad actions?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
OK, let's look at it this way- do you think some people are good, while others are bad? If you want to look at it without 'good vs bad' being absolute, do you believe that some people are predisposed to good vs bad actions?
What can be more innocent and pure than a toddler dragging a loaded hand gun?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
The real question should be asked, Why do you want a gun in the first place. Or is it a ego thing. OR do you think your some sort of redneck

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hunting. Guns are tools. People that treat them like toys to be shown off are morons.

Imagine if I did that with screwdrivers? People would think I was nuts showing off my screwdrivers. Some ratchet, some don't. I've got phillips head, slot or flat head, hex, and others. Who cares?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Who cares?
Exactly, When you can't or simply don't have the brains to answer a reasonable question, Simply change the subject..

Is it any wonder that your country is simply out of control when it comes to firearms, You really do live in a Hill Billy existence

highfigh

highfigh

What can be more innocent and pure than a toddler dragging a loaded hand gun?
What toddler, he's 6 years old.

I want more details about this case and we're not getting any.

I admit to posting that I think the media needs to slow the release of info when mass shootings occur, in order to prevent copycat responses- maybe that's why we're seeing so little info. I don't expect little kids to go off the rails, but who known how someone might act after seeing this- maybe they'll go after the kid's mom. Who knows?

A person made these events possible. Was it negligence (just left the guns within reach), irresponsibility (knows they should have locked them away, but didn't bother) or stupidity, it needs to stop.

This is going to take a long time- the stupidity is what I'm most concerned with because it has many causes. The others can be changed through training and education.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis