j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Coming to HBO this weekend and we are looking forward to it. The Game director is also directing the show and says they will keep it as close to the game story as possible unlike most game adaptations. It is for sure one of the most well written stories of any game I've played so it has the makings of a great show too.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm really looking forward to this one as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First episode was pretty good. Very similar to the game but with its own little tweaks. I like it so far.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was surprised on how well the followed both the story and the visual presentation from the game, very impressive. They of course needed to take some liberties, as this movie is not a shooter :)
B+ Start IMO

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The minor changes they made so far don't affect it. I would say they captured not just the look, but the feel of the game very well. It also seemed to move along pretty quickly, so I presume they will add more back story as flashbacks.

How Cordyceps spreads will be different in the show though, and they've essentially shown it already with the neighbor sequence. The Fedra sign also mentions only infection after a bite, more zombie like.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Never played the games, but really loving this show so far! Looks like HBO gave them a healthy budget to kick this series off. Looking forward to the rest of the season. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Holy ducking crap. 9.5 on IMDB after over 30k reviews. I haven't seen such a high score in a while. It is going on my shortlist.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos was pretty good during the escape sequence. They said Joel (Pascal) would be toned down from the game, but it didn't look like it from the first episode. Guess we'll see as it unfolds.

They said best reviewed game to show adaptation by far. I am sure that is because the game director is the same as the show.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hmm. Watch the show first or finally play the game first.

Decisions decisions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Game, what game? It's on my list for later today. Earlier I was trying to decide this or The Menu and I went with The Menu (which was very good IMO).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Game is not required for you to understand the show lol. However, I think if you watch the show, it will spoil the game as there are some very significant points in the story. One was already in the first episode, which sets the tone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Game is not required for you to understand the show lol. However, I think if you watch the show, it will spoil the game as there are some very significant points in the story. One was already in the first episode, which sets the tone.
That's fine, I don't play video games anyways (or haven't in several years).

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Hmm. Watch the show first or finally play the game first.

Decisions decisions.
Play the game first 100% imo. I'm gonna wait till all the episodes are out and spend the weekend watching. I played the game may years ago when it first came out and I remember it being fantastic. I think it would be a good refresher before watching the show. I may replay again lol.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right. I get that. I just don't want the game to not be as good/fun because I already know what's going to happen.

Hmm. It's like a book before TV show/movie. I've never really liked a book adaptation if I've read the book first. If I see the show or movie first, I can usually enjoy the book since they will usually be pretty far apart.

This is different.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Play the game first 100% imo. I'm gonna wait till all the episodes are out and spend the weekend watching. I played the game may years ago when it first came out and I remember it being fantastic. I think it would be a good refresher before watching the show. I may replay again lol.
I will probably have to do just that. I'll probably just get the newest remaster for my PS5.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will probably have to do just that. I'll probably just get the newest remaster for my PS5.
I missed out on getting it on PSN for $49, now it is back up to $69 at most places. I played the original when it came out, the remaster but not the PS5 remake.

The game will for sure be more intense because the small bits left out of the show are the sections where you would be battling/avoiding antagonists. In this first episode, those sections where you'd be trying to get somewhere undetected while the game "teaches" you how to play, are left out obviously.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I liked episode 1 a lot. Seems to be another great series from HBO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis