Cheap banana plugs?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I was looking on Amazon but I noticed the ones I used to get went up in price a lot.
Sewel direct, $32 now.
What is the cheapest quality alternative? I’d rather not get something that’s junk so many look bad.
Do you lose quality from not using bananas, I’d rather use them so I don’t have to manually thread the speakers .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was looking on Amazon but I noticed the ones I used to get went up in price a lot.
Sewel direct, $32 now.
What is the cheapest quality alternative? I’d rather not get something that’s junk so many look bad.
Do you lose quality from not using bananas, I’d rather use them so I don’t have to manually thread the speakers .
There is absolutely no possibility that banana plugs enhance anything. For that matter, adding more connections between the amplifier and speakers is contradictory to the thought of that. If you don't need to frequently make and break the connections at either end, there's no reason to use any kind of terminal.

BTW- there's also zero benefit to any kind of connector that's cosmetically pleasing.

However, Parts Express has these and they're not expensive-

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There is absolutely no possibility that banana plugs enhance anything. For that matter, adding more connections between the amplifier and speakers is contradictory to the thought of that. If you don't need to frequently make and break the connections at either end, there's no reason to use any kind of terminal.

BTW- there's also zero benefit to any kind of connector that's cosmetically pleasing.

I had Amazon gift card but I can get monoprice/parts express if I wait on a sale. It sounds like they don’t help sound quality. right now I have just enough to hook directly to avr itself, but not enough to the back of my speakers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

So are you suggesting it might sound better without any connectors ?
Best options on Amazon.
Sewell SW-29863-12 Deadbolt Banana Plugs 12-Pairs by, Gold Plated Speaker Plugs, Quick Connect https://a.co/d/a5T6JRh

Monoprice 121820 24k Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs, Closed Screw Type (10 Pairs) https://a.co/d/fzocTkn

FosPower Banana Plugs 6 Pairs / 12 pcs, Closed Screw 24K Gold Plated Banana Speaker Plug Connectors for Speaker Wire, Wall Plate, Home Theater, Audio/Video Receiver, Amplifiers and Sound Systems https://a.co/d/a2e1LcB

It’s just such a pain to connect bare cable to the banana plug compatible avr speaker outs now hooked to a speaker itself is easier.

highfigh

highfigh

So are you suggesting it might sound better without any connectors ?
Best options on Amazon.
Sewell SW-29863-12 Deadbolt Banana Plugs 12-Pairs by, Gold Plated Speaker Plugs, Quick Connect https://a.co/d/a5T6JRh

Monoprice 121820 24k Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs, Closed Screw Type (10 Pairs) https://a.co/d/fzocTkn

FosPower Banana Plugs 6 Pairs / 12 pcs, Closed Screw 24K Gold Plated Banana Speaker Plug Connectors for Speaker Wire, Wall Plate, Home Theater, Audio/Video Receiver, Amplifiers and Sound Systems https://a.co/d/a2e1LcB

It’s just such a pain to connect bare cable to the banana plug compatible avr speaker outs now hooked to a speaker itself is easier.
You shouldn't hear any difference with or without these. Brands don't matter, gold sounds just as good as Nickel- it's all marketing BS. Banana plugs were invented for use when the connections are changed frequently, as I already mentioned- design engineering, test laboratories, displays and usually anything BUT the common consumer installation. They can be helpful when the wires can't be made longer but still reach the terminals, though- when that happens, it's much easier to use right angle banana plugs than trying to tighten the binding posts.

Using any kind of plug adds connecting points and therefore, points of failure. Also, the screws can loosen over time. They shouldn't, but they do. That can cause the wires to fall out and possibly, touch. When that happens, kiss the amplifier goodbye.

Using gold plugs etc and expecting an improvement makes absolutely no sense- it's like using a hospital grade outlet on power wiring that has been in place for decades, hoping that the sound will improve because somehow, the power is now 'cleaner' when those outlets have no filtering or any other way of making ANYTHING better.

I think you might want to stop looking for ways to spend money and enjoy your system. If you can prove something is bad, repair or replace it, but searching for tiny improvements that aren't likely or possible is neurotic.

If the wires are too short to reach the speaker's terminals, splice it, but do it properly. That flies in the face of EVERY audiopile, but I don't care, it's not only necessary, it works just fine. There are literally millions of buildings where wires were spliced and nobody notices. These are often installations where reliability is critical, yet it has been done over many decades. I have worked for some of the contractors who do this and I also did car audio for a long time- if you don't think competition car audio systems have zero splices and unnecessary connectors, guess again.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You shouldn't hear any difference with or without these. Brands don't matter, gold sounds just as good as Nickel- it's all marketing BS. Banana plugs were invented for use when the connections are changed frequently, as I already mentioned- design engineering, test laboratories, displays and usually anything BUT the common consumer installation. They can be helpful when the wires can't be made longer but still reach the terminals, though- when that happens, it's much easier to use right angle banana plugs than trying to tighten the binding posts.

Using any kind of plug adds connecting points and therefore, points of failure. Also, the screws can loosen over time. They shouldn't, but they do. That can cause the wires to fall out and possibly, touch. When that happens, kiss the amplifier goodbye.

Using gold plugs etc and expecting an improvement makes absolutely no sense- it's like using a hospital grade outlet on power wiring that has been in place for decades, hoping that the sound will improve because somehow, the power is now 'cleaner' when those outlets have no filtering or any other way of making ANYTHING better.

I think you might want to stop looking for ways to spend money and enjoy your system. If you can prove something is bad, repair or replace it, but searching for tiny improvements that aren't likely or possible is neurotic.

If the wires are too short to reach the speaker's terminals, splice it, but do it properly. That flies in the face of EVERY audiopile, but I don't care, it's not only necessary, it works just fine. There are literally millions of buildings where wires were spliced and nobody notices. These are often installations where reliability is critical, yet it has been done over many decades. I have worked for some of the contractors who do this and I also did car audio for a long time- if you don't think competition car audio systems have zero splices and unnecessary connectors, guess again.
So I’m better off just saving my money if I got a few plugs already for back of avr, and just hook the cable directly to the speaker is more secure anyways ?
I have two awg but I can’t tell which one they are from the wire cutters. How do you measure it , is thin stuff fine if I used all my thicker cable ? Old pic. And old iPhone phone/sub cables that are broken they just trash or do you use them for something?
Thanks.
1020B50B-DB17-4582-9612-C08EECD1DBBB.jpeg
AD4E9DD5-E20A-4EBA-B784-A041FF5686C8.jpeg
DB52B09A-D957-49F9-9315-B79841138197.jpeg

3rd pic broke phone cable , and I don’t have the red/black speaker caps on my surround cant find the bag there in.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

so banana’s aren’t really for anything but connecting speed, I’ve heard the myths of cable oxidation ruining it but never seen it happen.

Ahh I've never soldiered wire or anything but I see I’ve spliced but never had any issues always hard electrical tape around it. Had to google it had no ida what you we’re talking about haha :D..
Any use for dead iPhone/ subwoofer cables?? Oops repeated myself.

highfigh

highfigh

so banana’s aren’t really for anything but connecting speed, I’ve heard the myths of cable oxidation ruining it but never seen it happen.

Ahh I've never soldiered wire or anything but I see I’ve spliced but never had any issues always hard electrical tape around it. Had to google it had no ida what you we’re talking about haha :D..
Any use for dead iPhone/ subwoofer cables?? Oops repeated myself.
I would call it 'making connections easier' but it is faster, too.

Don't just twist and tape wires- that's a good way to have problems later, whether it's heat causing the glue to get between the wire strands, slight tension pulling the wires apart or wires shorting- it's about the worst way to do it.

I have actually seen wires that were spliced using wire nuts- that's a real hack method but in reality, it DOES work. However, tension on each end can easily cause the wire nuts to spin off and then, problems aren't far behind.

If you want the splice to be permanent, at least use Neat N Seal butt connectors, crimped with a decent crimper, then heated with a small Butane torch. Auto parts stores sell these connectors in various sizes that correspond to the wire gauge. In addition to making a good connection,, they have glue in the tube that seals them form moisture.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Just make sure the plugs are snug going in.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Just make sure the plugs are snug going in.
Yeah not sure if I’m getting any it’s between these and sewel I listed earlier if I do. o_O
WGGE WG-008 24K Gold Safety Speaker Connector Banana Plugs for Speaker Wire, Wall Plate, Home Theater, Audio/Video Receiver, and Sound Systems ((12 Pairs (24 Plugs))) https://a.co/d/j1JWotr

highfigh

highfigh

Any clue which brand is better? Sewell or WGGE I just linked?
Those WGGE look almost exactly the same as the old Munster banana plugs, which is because Munster didn't make them, they bought and sold them and the reason they chose them is because they paid so little that they could jack up the price and make a ton of money while telling some kind of story about how much better the sound would be if these were used. It's all BS.

There is no reason to include 'safety' in the name or description- that's just marketing BS.

THINK about what's happening when a banana plug is inserted (don't be influenced by marketing hype)- if it has a sleeve that bulges, it's there to make sure the plug stays in place. There's also the fact that if it's held in place using the spring tension in that sleeve, it's not making contact over the whole length because if it were, it would be very difficult to slide in and out.

Most banana plugs do the same job, equally well. Find some that are in your price range, or not. As I wrote, it doesn't matter if you use bare wire or plugs from the performance viewpoint, the plugs won't improve anything. Adding two connection points at each plug can, however, cause problems and using Murphy's law as a motto, if it can, it will.

I have some banana plugs that are at least 60 years old and they were plated with Chrome or nickel. Over time, do you know what happens to the plating if they're slid in and out many times? The plating comes off, leaving the bare base metal. Do you know how many technicians, engineers and others who used these actually replaced the plugs that lost the plating? Almost none. Why? Because it doesn't matter, as long as the metal isn't corroded. Every time the plug is inserted and removed, it ends up cleaner than before, just like a plug on a power cord. The reality is- you could use outlets and power cords to connect your speakers to your amplifier and the sound wouldn't suffer.

Save your money and even if you do it to test the theory, splice the wires and listen- you'll eventually forget about how the connections were made and just enjoy the music and isn't that the point of having an audio system?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Those WGGE look almost exactly the same as the old Munster banana plugs, which is because Munster didn't make them, they bought and sold them and the reason they chose them is because they paid so little that they could jack up the price and make a ton of money while telling some kind of story about how much better the sound would be if these were used. It's all BS.

There is no reason to include 'safety' in the name or description- that's just marketing BS.

THINK about what's happening when a banana plug is inserted (don't be influenced by marketing hype)- if it has a sleeve that bulges, it's there to make sure the plug stays in place. There's also the fact that if it's held in place using the spring tension in that sleeve, it's not making contact over the whole length because if it were, it would be very difficult to slide in and out.

Most banana plugs do the same job, equally well. Find some that are in your price range, or not. As I wrote, it doesn't matter if you use bare wire or plugs from the performance viewpoint, the plugs won't improve anything. Adding two connection points at each plug can, however, cause problems and using Murphy's law as a motto, if it can, it will.

I have some banana plugs that are at least 60 years old and they were plated with Chrome or nickel. Over time, do you know what happens to the plating if they're slid in and out many times? The plating comes off, leaving the bare base metal. Do you know how many technicians, engineers and others who used these actually replaced the plugs that lost the plating? Almost none. Why? Because it doesn't matter, as long as the metal isn't corroded. Every time the plug is inserted and removed, it ends up cleaner than before, just like a plug on a power cord. The reality is- you could use outlets and power cords to connect your speakers to your amplifier and the sound wouldn't suffer.

Save your money and even if you do it to test the theory, splice the wires and listen- you'll eventually forget about how the connections were made and just enjoy the music and isn't that the point of having an audio system?
I see so bananas are basically the equivalent of changing speaker wires because hype about one brand sounding better than another?

I had a banana plug out of phase once, I had to tighten it because it barely became loose, odyssey told me during set up. so they worsen the connection as you said already then why are they so popular?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Any clue which brand is better? Sewell or WGGE I just linked?
These are convenience parts. Less mess at the amp or speaker to make sure no strands are hanging out to cause trouble. Plug and play.

Your post 4 had a link to 6 pairs for $15. Buy and try it, not a lot of $$ to experiment with.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
These are convenience parts. Less mess at the amp or speaker to make sure no strands are hanging out to cause trouble. Plug and play.

Your post 4 had a link to 6 pairs for $15. Buy and try it, not a lot of $$ to experiment with.
Yeah good plan I just thought the others might fit thicker cable , but for half the price and $10 cheaper then WGGE.. definitely nothing to lose trying those.
12 pack is a better deal :rolleyes:
These are 4 types i -see
381605BC-128F-4EA4-B65C-67E7D33D24A7.jpeg381605BC-128F-4EA4-B65C-67E7D33D24A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
These are the cheapest ones
WGGE WG-009 Banana Plugs Audio Jack Connector 12 Pairs / 24 pcs, 24k Gold Dual Screw Lock Speaker Connector for Speaker Wire, Wall Plate, Home Theater, Audio/Video Receiver and Sound Systems… https://a.co/d/0QrLvgs

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Which of the four types they sell are the best ?
The tip is what important and seems to be all the same. the body depends on what versatility you want, a 90 deg wire installation, what body you prefer.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The tip is what important and seems to be all the same. the body depends on what versatility you want, a 90 deg wire installation, what body you prefer.
down to 3
should I just get sewel ?
This brand is cheaper but I don’t know if they connect as well. I’m using sewel already $33 vs $25. I see it’s mostly irrelevant what I pick haha sorry for all the repetitive questions..o_O

WGGE WG-008 24K Gold Safety Speaker Connector Banana Plugs for Speaker Wire, Wall Plate, Home Theater, Audio/Video Receiver, and Sound Systems ((12 Pairs (24 Plugs))) https://a.co/d/2D7K7Z4

I’m looking at anything amazon prime works with..

FosPower Banana Plugs 12 Pairs / 24 pcs, Closed Screw 24K Gold Plated Banana Speaker Plug Connectors for Speaker Wire, Wall Plate, Home Theater, Audio/Video Receiver, Amplifiers and Sound Systems https://a.co/d/2LPhlM1

What I’m using now.. :rolleyes:
Sewell SW-29863-12 Deadbolt Banana Plugs 12-Pairs by, Gold Plated Speaker Plugs, Quick Connect https://a.co/d/gp1cyjv

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I see so bananas are basically the equivalent of changing speaker wires because hype about one brand sounding better than another?

I had a banana plug out of phase once, I had to tighten it because it barely became loose, odyssey told me during set up. so they worsen the connection as you said already then why are they so popular?
Absolutely right! It's hype.

People like pretty things and who doesn't like Gold? Kings had Alchemists because, once someone found that Gold and Lead are very similar (only one electron difference), they thought it was possible to convert it into Gold. Millions have died over Gold and it's shiny.

Look at the plugs you linked to, with the various tips- I have seen those loosen more than any other type (most were Munster) and if I use them, I prefer plugs that don't have any moving parts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis