The New "Free Speech" on Twitter

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I really question the value of social media in its current forms- the old bulletin boards were closed to the masses, but it was only a matter of time before they had users who didn't play well with others. Now that people have a wide audience, they're dangerous and some comments need to be removed. Completely open media is dangerous, as we have seen- if it all falls apart, I won't be sad, at all.

However, when a government agency censors speech on social media for political reasons if/when facts can back up the posts, it's dangerous.
Examples?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
To my mind it is "publicly available" if anyone can find it in a few minutes online.

I found this in about 2 minutes by doing a couple google searches.

Musk is yelling at clouds.
I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I'm just saying that it isn't possible just via public information. Jack bragged that he could write software that could crack the code fairly quick. Don't shoot the messenger, I just showed you the tweets where J. Sweeney noted what I said as to not have a bias

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I'm just saying that it isn't possible just via public information. Jack bragged that he could write software that could crack the code fairly quick. Don't shoot the messenger, I just showed you the tweets where J. Sweeney noted what I said as to not have a bias
Did you try the ADS-B link? All you need is an N code and knowledge that the ADS-B Exchange website exists. There's no need to crack any code.

Google "N code for Elon Musk's Jet." Here's one of the first hits you will get:

1671329839658.png

Now google "ADS-B Exchange N628TS" Here's the first hit:

1671330030819.png

There's his jet, making a great circle over Greenland on the way to Europe.

No need to crack any top secret codes, unless 2 google searches qualifies?

Do you content that the N code is not public information? I just picked one of the first hits. I'd guess there are hundreds if not thousands of websites with this information. The N code is clearly visible on the jet itself as well:

1671332076235.png

Nothing super-duper secret here.

Even if this is not "public information," the N code is also readily available on the FAA website (just google it).

The existence of the ADS-B website is very widely known. It's almost impossible to avoid finding information about it if you google flight tracking. Do you contend that the existence of this website is not public information?

ADS-B exchange gets its data from people who have set up receivers to pick up the data broadcast by aircraft. Here's an example of the highly sophisticated equipment required to do this:

>>>The RTL-SDR can be used as a super cheap real time air radar. Modern planes use something called an ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) Mode-S transponder, which periodically broadcasts location and altitude information to air traffic controllers. The RTL-SDR can be used to listen to these ADS-B signals, which can then be used to create your very own home aircraft radar system. Compared to dedicated commercial ADS-B receivers which can go for between $200 - $1000, the $20 RTL-SDR is very attractive for the hobbyist in terms of price.<<<

1671332855232.png

These air traffic controls signals can be picked up by anyone who want to set up one of these (or just buy one off the shelf). No cracking of codes required.

I honestly do not understand how any of this is not public information? Musk is either clueless or he's lying.

Let's assume Sweeney said that. How does that make the information at the ADS-B Exchange non-public? Is it because it requires 2 google searches instead of only one? Sweeney wrote a bot that generated a tweet whenever the bot detected that the jet was taking off. One could also determine this by simply monitoring the ADS-B Exchange website.

PIA codes are available by filing a FOIA request, but Musk's jet does not appear to be even using one right now. I'm guessing Musk decided not to bother with a PIA once he realized that the information is publicly available.

Musk could avoid almost all of the privacy issues by simply chartering private jets. I suppose renting private jets like the unwashed masses of lower billionaires may involve some mental suffering, but I think Musk could probably survive.

But, again, Musk is yelling at clouds.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Did you try the ADS-B link? All you need is an N code and knowledge that the ADS-B Exchange website exists. There's no need to crack any code.

Google "N code for Elon Musk's Jet." Here's one of the first hits you will get:

View attachment 59115

Now google "ADS-B Exchange N628TS" Here's the first hit:

View attachment 59116

There's his jet, making a great circle over Greenland on the way to Europe.

No need to crack any top secret codes, unless 2 google searches qualifies?

Do you content that the N code is not public information? I just picked one of the first hits. I'd guess there are hundreds if not thousands of websites with this information. The N code is clearly visible on the jet itself as well:

View attachment 59121

Nothing super-duper secret here.

Even if this is not "public information," the N code is also readily available on the FAA website (just google it).

The existence of the ADS-B website is very widely known. It's almost impossible to avoid finding information about it if you google flight tracking. Do you contend that the existence of this website is not public information?

ADS-B exchange gets its data from people who have set up receivers to pick up the data broadcast by aircraft. Here's an example of the highly sophisticated equipment required to do this:

>>>The RTL-SDR can be used as a super cheap real time air radar. Modern planes use something called an ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) Mode-S transponder, which periodically broadcasts location and altitude information to air traffic controllers. The RTL-SDR can be used to listen to these ADS-B signals, which can then be used to create your very own home aircraft radar system. Compared to dedicated commercial ADS-B receivers which can go for between $200 - $1000, the $20 RTL-SDR is very attractive for the hobbyist in terms of price.<<<

View attachment 59123

These air traffic controls signals can be picked up by anyone who want to set up one of these (or just buy one off the shelf). No cracking of codes required.

I honestly do not understand how any of this is not public information? Musk is either clueless or he's lying.

Let's assume Sweeney said that. How does that make the information at the ADS-B Exchange non-public? Is it because it requires 2 google searches instead of only one? Sweeney wrote a bot that generated a tweet whenever the bot detected that the jet was taking off. One could also determine this by simply monitoring the ADS-B Exchange website.

PIA codes are available by filing a FOIA request, but Musk's jet does not appear to be even using one right now. I'm guessing Musk decided not to bother with a PIA once he realized that the information is publicly available.

Musk could avoid almost all of the privacy issues by simply chartering private jets. I suppose renting private jets like the unwashed masses of lower billionaires may involve some mental suffering, but I think Musk could probably survive.

But, again, Musk is yelling at clouds.

You still don't understand or didn't closely read what I posted.. you can Google his old code all you want, have a blessed day.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Something that is being overlooked is that some of the journalists banned by Musk did not share his aircraft tracking data, but merely posted about the issue. The fact that they've been critics of Musk is not irrelevant.

He is a thin-skinned narcissistic hypocrite. He was all about absolute free speech before buying Twitter, but made it his personal fifedom once he had control. Threatening retribution against advertisers who dumped Twitter is not a shining example of dedication to free speech, is it?

He's becoming more Trump-ish with each passing day.

Now he's in a snit because he can't control Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Something that is being overlooked is that some of the journalists banned by Musk did not share his aircraft tracking data, but merely posted about the issue. The fact that they've been critics of Musk is not irrelevant.

He is a thin-skinned narcissistic hypocrite. He was all about absolute free speech before buying Twitter, but made it his personal fifedom once he had control. Threatening retribution against advertisers who dumped Twitter is not a shining example of dedication to free speech, is it?

He's becoming more Trump-ish with each passing day.
I agree wholeheartedly about Musk, and considered him an as*hole long before he bought Twitter. I think SEC has a similar view of him.

As for him banning there is him banning a journalist that has written critically about Tesla.

>>>It increasingly looks like self-described free speech absolutist Elon Musk is suspending Twitter users based on personal grudges instead of concrete principles. The latest victim: Insider columnist Linette Lopez, who has spent years aggressively covering Musk’s businesses, including documenting alleged safety lapses at Tesla.

In 2018, Musk disputed Lopez’s reporting, claiming that she had written “several false articles” and suggesting, with scant evidence‚ that she had bribed a former Tesla employee for information and was secretly “serving as an inside trading source for one of Tesla’s biggest short-sellers.”

“Have you ever heard anything more ridiculous,” she said on Friday of the allegations, laughing. “What a frickin’ fantasy.”

Lopez told The Daily Beast she received no explanation for her suspension, nor information about how long the ban will last. She said she hadn’t tweeted details about the location of Musk’s private jet—his stated rationale for other suspensions—but instead had been cataloging what she considered his hypocrisy over doxxing and targeting private citizens.

“I was just trying to highlight the fact that he talks about bullying and doxxing and all this stuff… And he’s a pro at it,” she said. “He harassed me back in 2018, he talked poop about me in the court of law, he sued my source. Like, I’ve been through the wringer with this guy. Nothing he does surprises me.”

Insider declined to comment; Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment. ...<<<

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The way I see this, Musk owns it outright, his rules his sandbox. If he wants he can just kill it all together. Not much anyone can do except start your own social media opinion service, if ya got the money.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The way I see this, Musk owns it outright, his rules his sandbox. If he wants he can just kill it all together. Not much anyone can do except start your own social media opinion service, if ya got the money.
Maybe the former Twitter owners or investors that just scored what was it 44 billion of of this sale will roll something out. Competition and options are always good

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Post has seen no evidence that any of the reporters did so.

The suspending my real-time location and endangering my family is not,” he tweeted late Thursday. ...<<<
Taylor Lorenz did indeed dox Libs of TikTok so there are other grounds for account suspension.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Taylor Lorenz did indeed dox Libs of TikTok so there are other grounds for account suspension.
I'm sure that was upmost on Musk's mind when he started banning journalists left and right. :rolleyes:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It's now his sandbox and his rules... Sauce and geese and all that.
Sure, upto a point, as he still has to comply with local regulations in various markets Twitter is operating in. EU officials are not happy, for instance.

However, for Musk this goes beyond Twitter and could very well affect his outer businesses. Investors are looking at him acquiring Twitter for a huge amount of money, how that was done, and how he (mis)manages the company while pissing off many people along the way, including consumers.

Musk essentially wasted $44 billion on a whim that is also consuming his attention that is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It's now his sandbox and his rules... Sauce and geese and all that.
Yes, it's his sandbox. But, he bought it to - supposedly - make it a bastion of free speech, including allowing suspended accounts to be reactivated.

He didn't care at all when Twitter trolls attacked other people - women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, journalists, etc. It only mattered when he received unwanted attention.

Make no mistake, people are leaving Twitter. Many are going to Mastodon. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'll get there someday, I expect.

I don't know what he expects to get from his investment, unless he felt spending 40+ billion on it just to drive it into the ground was a good idea.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think there is a Saudi $$$ connection to the purchase. Doubt Elon sold enough of his stocks to pay cash.

And now his Tesla stocks lost 50% value. Great. :eek:

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Yes, it's his sandbox. But, he bought it to - supposedly - make it a bastion of free speech, including allowing suspended accounts to be reactivated.

He didn't care at all when Twitter trolls attacked other people - women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, journalists, etc. It only mattered when he received unwanted attention.

Make no mistake, people are leaving Twitter. Many are going to Mastodon. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'll get there someday, I expect.

I don't know what he expects to get from his investment, unless he felt spending 40+ billion on it just to drive it into the ground was a good idea.
It wasn't a free speech bastion either way. So I really don't care. When you have moderators secretly recorded admitting to horizon banning any conservatives regardless of the content.

Again, sauce, geese, and all that.

I think it's patently stupid what Musk did but considering what he was able to influence with Paypal, Tesla, Solar City, Space-X I'll give him the large net win.

As a parent I have a bigger concern of government getting into the parenting business.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It wasn't a free speech bastion either way. So I really don't care. When you have moderators secretly recorded admitting to horizon banning any conservatives regardless of the content.

Again, sauce, geese, and all that.

I think it's patently stupid what Musk did but considering what he was able to influence with Paypal, Tesla, Solar City, Space-X I'll give him the large net win.

As a parent I have a bigger concern of government getting into the parenting business.
Got a link to that claim about conservative castrating? Not that it's a bad idea these days....

jinjuku

jinjuku

This is on facebook (thought it was Twitter):

"
“One of the content moderators was asked if she deleted every Republican item that came up on her queue, she said: ‘Yes! I don’t give no ****s, I’ll delete it.’

The same moderator said she does not take down anti-Trump content, even if it did not [sic] violate company policy.

‘You gotta take it down but I leave it up,’ she said. ‘If you see something that’s not supposed to be up, it’s probably me.’

Another content moderator, Lara Kontakos, was asked what she did when she saw a posts supporting the president: ‘If someone is wearing a MAGA hat, I am going to delete them for terrorism.’

Then, Kontakos looked around at her colleagues: ‘I think we are all doing that.’”

"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis