P.C. to T.V. to Receiver

C

catman123

Audiophyte
I use my PC as my media center. Here is my setup.
HDMI out from PC to my TV. Optical fiber cable out from T.V. to receiver.

The sound when using the P.C. or watching T.V. is much quieter than when switching the receiver to the radio. Bad Fiber Cable?
Is there an alternate way I should have set this up?

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure why you need optical. HDMI carries sound as well. In fact, it could do 7.1 (or more) whereas optical is limited to 5.1 only. Like Will said before. PC->HDMI->AVR->HDMI->TV

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hardly. I wonder if the TV is set to bitstream audio and not PCM as that would convert a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal to PCM 2.0. The PC would also need to bitstream Dolby Digital 5.1 signals as uncompressed multichannel PCM signals may be down-mixed for the optical connection to PCM 2.0 as well. The conversion usually results in lower volume output.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Replace receiver to receive modern audio formats. And then use hdmi. And enjoy the much better sound!

C

catman123

Audiophyte
Looked at that recently....it doesn''t appear to have internet capabilities, which would be something I prefer to have in the avr....
I use a P.C. as my media center, wireless keyboard and mouse, so no-internet wouldnt be an issue.

I do have a question in regard to the speaker connections on that and other 7.2 units. I currently have 3 surround back speakers, but dont see a connection for the Surround center back on that unit and other AVRs I've looked at.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use a P.C. as my media center, wireless keyboard and mouse, so no-internet wouldnt be an issue.

I do have a question in regard to the speaker connections on that and other 7.2 units. I currently have 3 surround back speakers, but dont see a connection for the Surround center back on that unit and other AVRs I've looked at.
A center or sole rear surround is long gone....never ran into three rear surrounds myself....or you have two surround speakers and one rear surround?

C

catman123

Audiophyte
I have
A center or sole rear surround is long gone....never ran into three rear surrounds myself....or you have two surround speakers and one rear surround?
I have 7 speakers total. In the front I have Right, Left, Center and Subwoofer. In the back have Right, Left, Center.

So, any new unit I look at wont have an option for the rear center? Good to know then. I'll stop going cross-eyed trying find one.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Denon X760H and Onkyo.TX-NR6050 are both currently available at Costco for not much more money than the Sony and are superior to it in their feature sets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have

I have 7 speakers total. In the front I have Right, Left, Center and Subwoofer. In the back have Right, Left, Center.

So, any new unit I look at wont have an option for the rear center? Good to know then. I'll stop going cross-eyed trying find one.
Some avrs can deal with a single rear surround but normally you have two rear surrounds these days. Yours was from the time 5ch was transitioing to 7ch but there is little specific content for 6ch like you apparently had.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, as mentioned there’s very little content for 6.1. Iirc what they found was that it interfered with the front center channel and tricked the listener into hearing the rear center content sound like it was in front. It was abandoned.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Assuming the AVR is newer than 2006, it should have the ability to adjust the source audio level so all of them are the same, or close to it. If we knew which model the OP has, it would be easier to know if this is possible.

C

catman123

Audiophyte
Assuming the AVR is newer than 2006, it should have the ability to adjust the source audio level so all of them are the same, or close to it. If we knew which model the OP has, it would be easier to know if this is possible.
Kenwood VR-6050

The Denon X760H and Onkyo.TX-NR6050 are both currently available at Costco for not much more money than the Sony and are superior to it in their feature sets.
Thanks, will check those out if I cant get this figured out!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis