Can you name this LCR speaker… again? (original lost in AH crash)

M

moonboots

Audiophyte
(Reposting as the original post was lost in Audioholics forum crash the other night and there was some good advice!)

I'm moving into a new property in a couple months. I did not get a chance to pry off the grilles, but there was this LCR which was approximately 7 inches wide by 25 inches high.

I did get a quick listen and wasn't immediately impressed but will need more time. Assuming I don't like them, how likely is it that I can just replace them without wall reconstruction?

Any I assumed Revel would be great but I don't see any this size.

JBL perhaps?

8064E101-28E7-4C74-BF96-8935279AA8CA_1_105_c.jpeg

Here is a photo of the construction project if that helps.
IMG_4223.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
(Reposting as the original post was lost in Audioholics forum crash the other night and there was some good advice!)

I'm moving into a new property in a couple months. I did not get a chance to pry off the grilles, but there was this LCR which was approximately 7 inches wide by 25 inches high.

I did get a quick listen and wasn't immediately impressed but will need more time. Assuming I don't like them, how likely is it that I can just replace them without wall reconstruction?

JBL perhaps?

View attachment 58916

View attachment 58917
First of all, I have no idea what that construction picture is supposed to tell us.

The chance of finding in walls to fit is the same opening as the other is remote. So it seems you need to change those speakers. I suspect they were builder's junk.

If you don't want dry wall work, you will have to design and build the replacements, or forget the in wall approach and go with free standing speakers.

M

moonboots

Audiophyte
First of all, I have no idea what that construction picture is supposed to tell us.

The chance of finding in walls to fit is the same opening as the other is remote. So it seems you need to change those speakers. I suspect they were builder's junk.

If you don't want dry wall work, you will have to design and build the replacements, or forget the in wall approach and go with free standing speakers.
Here is a photo of the current state. I suppose the construction photo gives an idea of depth as it not an exterior wall but the current photo is probably more helpful.

The TV is 55 inches diagonal, so the space is tight. It's an open space, 24 feet wide but the TV wall is only 8.5 feet wide.

In-wall has higher WAF and better SBIR (?). I have some time to field suggestions but I don't think my full 5.1 tower system is going to work here.

I am more concerned about music that movies, but it will serve both.

Other thoughts:
  • Drywall it and buy two or three On-wall LCR speakers
  • KEF LSX II with sub (possibly wireless for more placement options)
  • Two Devialet Phantom II 95db (formerly Reactor)
1670163161237.png

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is not enough information from looking at the photo for anyone to have any idea what those are.

M

moonboots

Audiophyte
There is not enough information from looking at the photo for anyone to have any idea what those are.
Yeah, and even knowing they are 7×25" doesn't help much as most manufacturers or retailers don't let you filter in-walls by size. I've only found a few, but do suspect they are just contractor grade. There are two round in-ceiling speakers in the rear as well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would remove the grill and see if there’s any info on the baffle. Then I would remove it and measure the opening. These JBL’s cutout dimensions are 6-1/4X25-5/16. Seems pretty close to 25X7. Worth a look anyway. I’ve already seen good reports from customers on them. Not surprised since they share tech from the M2 monitors and HDI lines. Should be very very good IW speakers.

M

moonboots

Audiophyte
I would remove the grill and see if there’s any info on the baffle. Then I would remove it and measure the opening. These JBL’s cutout dimensions are 6-1/4X25-5/16. Seems pretty close to 25X7. Worth a look anyway. I’ve already seen good reports from customers on them. Not surprised since they share tech from the M2 monitors and HDI lines. Should be very very good IW speakers.

Great find! Would be amazing if it could fit with little effort. I would be seated about 9 feet away which is not exactly a triangle as the speakers are probably only 6 feet apart. Does that seem good?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Great find! Would be amazing if it could fit with little effort. I would be seated about 9 feet away which is not exactly a triangle as the speakers are probably only 6 feet apart. Does that seem good?
Well I guess it’ll have to be good lol. I’m not convinced that the equilateral triangle is the be all end all anyways. @ryanosaur has had success being slightly narrower there too. That’s one problem with IW’s, you can’t experiment with placement. You could move the LP forward and backwards to change the angle of the mains. At least to get an idea of how imaging could change. Pics of the rest of the room would help.
So yeah, it’s workable.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't really seen a threshold of absolute distance one can sit before the imaging really falls apart... but the common thing I've seen regarding the "triangle" is that mixes are done with the equilateral triangle because it gives the engineer maximum stereo separation. I've seen many argue that we were never meant to sit the way the engineer does, and by pulling back a little the Mix should coalesce into a more cohesive sound.
This is for critical 2-channel listening, however. the same rules apply to HT, but in the latter scenario, spatial cues are sent to all your various Speakers to reinforce the experience.

Regardless, at a certain point, you will get too far away for the stereo effect to matter. This is why you see recommendations for Speakers to be spaced in the 8-10' range, even 12' if the room and seating distance warrant. 6' apart (on center) is very narrow. (This is my set up, currently. I sit about 7.5-8' back.)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

JBL perhaps?

View attachment 58916

View attachment 58917
Is there any way you can pry off the grilles? We really need pics of the speakers themselves or any label or brand name possibly on the speakers itself if were going to be able to help you identify those speakers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Also just go bigger if necessary make the cutout maybe bigger like the monoprice monolith
Monolith by Monoprice THX-465IW THX Certified Ultra 3-Way In-Wall Speaker
1670175180104.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also just go bigger if necessary make the cutout maybe bigger like the monoprice monolith
Monolith by Monoprice THX-465IW THX Certified Ultra 3-Way In-Wall SpeakerView attachment 58931
That’s a good point danno. That could be limited by stud placement, but seems close enough without actually digging into it.
Also those monos seem to be pretty decent too. I would personally choose the JBL based on lineage alone, but they’re more expensive too. I like the buy once cry once philosophy too though. Of course nothing is forever.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That’s a good point danno. That could be limited by stud placement, but seems close enough without actually digging into it.
Also those monos seem to be pretty decent too. I would personally choose the JBL based on lineage alone, but they’re more expensive too. I like the buy once cry once philosophy too though. Of course nothing is forever.
I suspect the Monolith are the better speaker and you know I love me some JBL.

Bigger drivers THX ultra certified can handle WAY more power. The JBL are more sensitive but I don't think that'll matter.

And the price! You can buy 2 of of the monoprice for slightly less then 1 of the JBL.

M

moonboots

Audiophyte
Is there any way you can pry off the grilles? We really need pics of the speakers themselves or any label or brand name possibly on the speakers itself if were going to be able to help you identify those speakers
Not until I move in in 2023. Tried to gently do that during when checking it out but didnt want to damage anything.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I suspect the Monolith are the better speaker and you know I love me some JBL.

Bigger drivers THX ultra certified can handle WAY more power. The JBL are more sensitive but I don't think that'll matter.

And the price! You can buy 2 of of the monoprice for slightly less then 1 of the JBL.
This is very interesting. I’m inclined to agree with you based on the THX cert and the larger drivers(i really like that part). However! I’m not sure how the larger power handling would translate into real world use. Also note that the (published) sensitivity is 88 vs 96. Imo, that is NOT a small difference, and I can’t help but think that the amazing compression driver in the JBL would have more clarity than the silk in the mono. IME silk is softer sounding with less presence. This is a big deal in a room like mine with about 17’ from LP to front wall(mains are currently 14’ away. Baffles are 3’ from the front wall). I’m one of the few that thinks thx cert actually means something so my observations here are only with a small degree of certainty. I’d love to buy both sets and mock them up to really see what is what. How about this. You send me one pair of each, and I’ll make a nice comprehensive video chronicling my experience. Then I get to keep the ones I like !! Lol.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is very interesting. I’m inclined to agree with you based on the THX cert and the larger drivers(i really like that part). However! I’m not sure how the larger power handling would translate into real world use. Also note that the (published) sensitivity is 88 vs 96. Imo, that is NOT a small difference, and I can’t help but think that the amazing compression driver in the JBL would have more clarity than the silk in the mono. IME silk is softer sounding with less presence. This is a big deal in a room like mine with about 17’ from LP to front wall(mains are currently 14’ away. Baffles are 3’ from the front wall). I’m one of the few that thinks thx cert actually means something so my observations here are only with a small degree of certainty. I’d love to buy both sets and mock them up to really see what is what. How about this. You send me one pair of each, and I’ll make a nice comprehensive video chronicling my experience. Then I get to keep the ones I like !! Lol.
I might send you both pairs Will but it depends. Santa needs to know have you been naughty or nice? :D ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis