L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
I’ve been told by Denon that the AVR doesn’t recognize the network card! It needs service. Everything else works fine,,just no network connection possible. Any idea if this is a simple network “card” plug and play or more complex fix? How much to repair?
Thanks,
LM

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The avr is with Denon now? It worked fine up until recently? If Denon doesn't know.....

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
No it’s not with Denon. I was simply asking if anybody has had a similar experience and how much it might cost IF I send it in to a denon authorized repair facility. Is it a simple card/module or more complex?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More information about how that much was determined might help. With an avr it usually will depend on whether a card/module can be replaced rather than anything more complex particularly, and whether such a part is still available.

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
Well they walked me through resetting the network and the AVR without success,.no MAC address was present and after 30 mins on the phone they determined it needs to be serviced. This is not an old product, 2019, so parts are not a problem. It’s just, what part(S) are we talking about?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it under warranty, though? Couldn't tell you what particular part even if I looked at a service manual myself, I'd hire a pro depending on cost/availability. Parts can be fleeting these days, too.

What was the original problem/symptoms?

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
Just stopped connecting to the network. No issues until then. Like the network card just failed,,,if there is a network cardThat was the whole purpose of the post ,,,so someone could tell me what it likely is that’s causing this fault!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just stopped connecting to the network. No issues until then. Like the network card just failed,,,if there is a network cardThat was the whole purpose of the post ,,,so someone could tell me what it likely is that’s causing this fault!
The network "card" is likely just a chip on a board....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you using Ethernet cable or wifi to connect to the network?
Are you sure the Ethernet cable, router, hub, switches (if they are in the path) are all good?

Have you tried the following steps: I know the rep walked you through the factory reset but did he ask you to repeat the steps. It has been known that in some cases, it may need to repeat the steps multiple times.

If it is just the network module, the part itself shouldn't cost much, I can't see if more than $30 for Denon, but if not covered by warranty, then you are at the mercy of Denon regardless. So it could be as much as $200, who knows!

The network module also does Bluetooth, have you try Bluetooth connection to see if that's recognized, I doubt it but doesn't hurt to try just for info.

1670248529750.png

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Rebooting the router when resetting devices should also be done and sometimes resetting them is necessary as well.

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
And I did try cabling to the router direct and that didn’t work either. Plugged right into the wan port on router with a known good Cat5

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ve been told by Denon that the AVR doesn’t recognize the network card! It needs service. Everything else works fine,,just no network connection possible. Any idea if this is a simple network “card” plug and play or more complex fix? How much to repair?
Thanks,
LM
This seems to be a known problem with that model of Denon receiver, and seems to be a software problem. Denon have acknowledged the problem.

This thread on AV forums may be helpful.

There is also this from Denon UK.

This seems to be pervasive problem with this receiver and common. In fact I would bet 100% have this problem.

It seems to me, if the above methods work, I would leave it with the original software and not allow ANY updates to the firmware.

If the problem is persistent it is probably a unit to drop like a hot potato. I certainly would not throw any money at the problem.

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
I’ve tried everything from reinstalling the firmware to resetting the network to reinitializing the unit to unplugging and resetting router to direct connect to router to to the Gods and NOTHING! I will never buy a Denon again as I’m certain this was caused by a software incompatibility with HEOS.

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
And now my resale value is tanked because I have no network connectivity!!!!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve tried everything from reinstalling the firmware to resetting the network to reinitializing the unit to unplugging and resetting router to direct connect to router to to the Gods and NOTHING! I will never buy a Denon again as I’m certain this was caused by a software incompatibility with HEOS.
Curious, why are you certain this is a HEOS/software issue?

highfigh

highfigh

Well they walked me through resetting the network and the AVR without success,.no MAC address was present and after 30 mins on the phone they determined it needs to be serviced. This is not an old product, 2019, so parts are not a problem. It’s just, what part(S) are we talking about?
Before you do anything drastic, try connecting the AVR to a different port on the router or switch. I received a call from a customer who lost two TVs during the Summer and now that Winter is here, they want to use them. After I determined the problem was two dead TVs, they bought new ones and when I returned, I found that the AVR was outputting no video. I also found that its network card still worked, but the Access Point in the garage didn't, so I connected a different AP. That didn't work either, so I used a different port and it returned to normal.

These aren't the same as computers, which often have a network card that's separate from everything else- if you have been using WiFi, try it with an ethernet cable. No MAC address does indicate a bad NIC, but remember, the wireless may use a separate one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Before you do anything drastic, try connecting the AVR to a different port on the router or switch. I received a call from a customer who lost two TVs during the Summer and now that Winter is here, they want to use them. After I determined the problem was two dead TVs, they bought new ones and when I returned, I found that the AVR was outputting no video. I also found that its network card still worked, but the Access Point in the garage didn't, so I connected a different AP. That didn't work either, so I used a different port and it returned to normal.

These aren't the same as computers, which often have a network card that's separate from everything else- if you have been using WiFi, try it with an ethernet cable. No MAC address does indicate a bad NIC, but remember, the wireless may use a separate one.
He is not using Wi-Fi, he has a wired connection. Unfortunately these receivers seem to be known lemons. As I said above Denon have acknowledged issues with Internet connectivity on these receivers. What they ought to be doing is buying them back. Unfortunately he has two options I fear, to junk the receiver, or use another device to connect to the internet to stream etc. and connect it to an HDMI port. So its junk, or just accept that this is a model of receiver without Internet connectivity.

L

Lmorin1960

Enthusiast
Well, why do I think it’s HEOS,,because many others have lost their network in an identical fashion when they upgraded HEOS on the AVR. Their are many threads on this issue which apparently is known to Denon support?

I have been using Apple 4K to stream from HDMI and this is fine. I get Atmos this way so it’s actually better! The HEOS app on AVR doesn’t allow Atmos!

highfigh

highfigh

He is not using Wi-Fi, he has a wired connection. Unfortunately these receivers seem to be known lemons. As I said above Denon have acknowledged issues with Internet connectivity on these receivers. What they ought to be doing is buying them back. Unfortunately he has two options I fear, to junk the receiver, or use another device to connect to the internet to stream etc. and connect it to an HDMI port. So its junk, or just accept that this is a model of receiver without Internet connectivity.
But it does have the option of using Wifi- I don't recommend using WiFi for anything that has an ethernet port, but if that stops working, there aren't a lot of choices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis