Need more bass from the Main Speakers.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
I don't think those speakers have as much bass as you think they do. Your specs on that screen shot are not those posted by Focal.

These are the specs.

Type Three-way bass-reflex floorstanding loudspeaker Speaker drivers Two 61/2" (16.5cm) Flax bass 61/2" (16.5cm) Flax midrange 1" (25mm) Al/Mg TNF inverted dome tweeter Frequency response (+/- 3dB) 45Hz - 28kHz Low frequency point - 6 dB 37Hz Sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) 91.5dB Nominal impedance 8Ω Minimum impedance 2.9Ω Recommended amplifier power 40 - 250W Crossover frequency 290Hz / 2400Hz Dimensions (H x W x D) 403/4x119/16x145/8" (1035x294x371mm) Weight 55lbs (25kg).

The -3db point is 45 Hz. It is a ported enclosure and will roll off at 24db. per octave below that point since it is a ported speaker.

You can not boost bass below that point as the drivers will decouple from the box, and you will have useless cone excursion.

I would set a full crossover at 60 or 80 Hz, certainly not below 60 Hz for those relatively small drivers.

I would also see how it sounds with Audyssey and for sure get rid of dynamic Eq and nonsense of that nature.
Just to fully understand :
If I will make changes as follow , Will my speakers "decouple from the box" / Damage ?

From LFE to LFE+MAIN
From Small to Large

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just to fully understand :
If I will make changes as follow , Will my speakers "decouple from the box" / Damage ?

From LFE to LFE+MAIN
From Small to Large
If you play it loud with lots of deep bass, yes.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
@ TLS Guy :
Hi Again.
Need a further advice PLEASE :
Iv'e upgraded my front speakers to Focal Sopra no 3 .

Very disturb from your reply - Quote : " as the drivers will decouple from the box " End Quote.

My new speakers is ver very expensive ,

Can you please again explain in simple words your view regarding :"as the drivers will decouple from the box" ?

Thank you !

Ps. the new speakers have different spec.

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It basically means the drivers(woofers) will not have the support of the cabinets and will behave as if in free air. In short it’s a good way to destroy them. FWIW, you’d have to try pretty hard to do this.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
It basically means the drivers(woofers) will not have the support of the cabinets and will behave as if in free air. In short it’s a good way to destroy them. FWIW, you’d have to try pretty hard to do this.
Yes , I understand the situation.
I do want to understand what Preferences ( Like ....
From LFE to LFE+MAIN
From Small to Large....)

To avoid ?

Meaning : Can I now Make :LFE to LFE+MAIN or Only LFE , Small OR Large WITHOUT risk my new EXPENSIVE speakers ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes , I understand the situation.
I do want to understand what Preferences ( Like ....
From LFE to LFE+MAIN
From Small to Large....)

To avoid ?

Meaning : Can I now Make :LFE to LFE+MAIN or Only LFE , Small OR Large WITHOUT risk my new EXPENSIVE speakers ?
You can certainly try LFE + main, or a straight crossover at 40, 60 or 80 Hz and see which sounds best. Those speakers are a pretty good bass response, and won't fully decouple until 26 Hz.

LFE + Main is not a well liked option round here, but it actually often not only a good option, but the best option. I would certainly try it.

R

Rony

Junior Audioholic
New thinking :
I have the processor with ability to configure 5.1 A/V and 2 Channel stereo.
I have very good front speakers and not so good SUB. In 5.1 A/V I set front speakers on small , LFE+Main ,
On Stereo , Set Front speakers to Large and NO SUB at all (No LFE/LFE+MAIN ) so I will only hear the very good front speakers without that sub. Is it logic ?
Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

New thinking :
I have the processor with ability to configure 5.1 A/V and 2 Channel stereo.
I have very good front speakers and not so good SUB. In 5.1 A/V I set front speakers on small , LFE+Main ,
On Stereo , Set Front speakers to Large and NO SUB at all (No LFE/LFE+MAIN ) so I will only hear the very good front speakers without that sub. Is it logic ?
Thanks.
Yes, in a round about sort of way. The problem is that audio quality always has a habit of sinking to the weakest link. So ideally everything has to be of comparable standard. If needs must then you modus operandi makes sense. At least you know what is in need of an upgrade.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I would think that part of the issue is the low frequency signals' level on the recordings you listen to. Perhaps it is just not enough to drive the drivers to a level
you are desiring. Perhaps your expectations are beyond what was recorded?
Don't compare L/R channels lows to equal the LFE channel recordings.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you.
Mtrcrafts makes a good point. It could well be that there is not the bass you think there is, in the score or orchestration. I find that when I listen to other systems, subs are far more often then not set too loud, and the program is not well reproduced at all.

Here is the frequency spectrum of instruments.

Only the pipe organ goes the full distance, and not all of them. 32 ft. pipe is 16 Hz, there are 64 ft. stops, but there are no 64ft. pipes, they are extension stops constructed from the beat frequency of a combination of shorter pipes.

The contra bassoon comes close to 20 Hz but does not quite make it. The piano makes it to about 26 Hz.

In addition the ear is not so sensitive at bass frequencies, so even a large section of double bass players does not actually sound like thunderous bass in the concert Hall.

Since the advent of subs, there has been a huge tendency to overestimate the sound intensity in the last octave. This leads to people balancing their systems for very unnatural bass reproduction. Properly balancing a system is a great art, and takes time and work. However, properly set up and balanced systems are an absolute prerequisite for high quality realistic reproduction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis