Epson Projector Owner’s Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I started a few Owner’s threads of various brands, especially back when I was a moderator for Audioholics. :D

I think Epson deserves an Owner’s thread as well, especially since Epson is the #1 seller of projectors in North America and the world.

Epson offers 2 lines of projectors - consumer and commercial/professional. The 2 biggest differences include price and brightness. The commercial PJ‘s can cost as much as $80,000+ for their 4K-8.3-million-pixel laser PJ and brightness goes up to 30,000 lumens!

The consumer PJ’s are usually under $5K with less than 3,000 lumens, including their upcoming 4K-4.6-million-pixel Laser PJ’s.

I recently bought one of the newest Epson commercial laser 4K HDR PJ’s - the Epson EB-PU1006W:

I am extremely thrilled with this new PJ, definitely getting extremely spoiled with all the beautiful bright lumens.

The Epson 6050, 5050 and 4050 are also great affordable consumer PJ’s.

This is mainly an Audio forum, but Video is also important for HT.

Hopefully other Epson owners can chime in and post their experiences. :D

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Nice projector. My wife would kill me if I spent that much on one. I'm a 2× Epson Projector owner myself. The first one was my Epson Powerlite 8350 1080p Projector that I bought in 2016:

20210104_144326.jpg

It served me well for the 5 1/2 years I used it. Only replaced the bulb once. It was recently supplanted (in July) by my new 5050UBe:

20210708_213617.jpg

The difference between the two is pretty amazing, though I haven't really gotten a chance to test the 5050UBe out fully yet as my RX-A2040 isn't 4K. I purchased a new pre pro that arrived on Monday that is 4K, and will be setting it all up this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what this can really do. Side by side comparison of the two:

20210708_202738.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice projector. My wife would kill me if I spent that much on one. I'm a 2× Epson Projector owner myself. The first one was my Epson Powerlite 8350 1080p Projector that I bought in 2016:

View attachment 51130

It served me well for the 5 1/2 years I used it. Only replaced the bulb once. It was recently supplanted (in July) by my new 5050UBe:

View attachment 51131

The difference between the two is pretty amazing, though I haven't really gotten a chance to test the 5050UBe out fully yet as my RX-A2040 isn't 4K. I purchased a new pre pro that arrived on Monday that is 4K, and will be setting it all up this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what this can really do. Side by side comparison of the two:

View attachment 51132
The 5050 is an excellent 4K PJ. It’s excellent in its own merits. But definitely excellent considering the cost compared to some other PJs.

This lumens business is a dangerous game for sure. Have to see it to believe it. :D

When I was using an 1800-lumen PJ, it seemed bright enough in Natural Color Mode (although dim in Cinema Mode). But Natural Color Mode was bright enough. Then I used a 3000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden, the 1800-lumen PJ became too dim even in Natural Color Mode. Then I used a 6000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden 3000-lumens became too dim. :D

I’ve been using 70% power mode/Cinema mode. But when I was watching “Underworld Blood Wars”, it was too dim. So I had to use 100% power mode (normal mode).

Then I thought, hmm, why don’t I use 100% power mode for other contents? So I watched “Foundation” TV series episode 7 last night using 100% power mode. And WOW! It was even MORE AWESOME!

Now I’m wondering if 8000-lumen is what I WANT/DESIRE? :D

I was going to get the 7000 or 8000-lumen Epson, but they (7000-lumen and 8000-lumen PJ) were not available yet (until the “Holidays”).

So it’s a dangerous game we play.

For audio, we can buy more power amps that cost $10K and Pre-pros that cost $20K and we probably will NOT hear that much of a significant improvement. Maybe the Auto Room EQ software might give some people the sound they prefer. Awesome BASS is a significant improvement, especially if you’ve never heard it before.

But wow, the lumens are something special. Have to SEE it to believe it.

Some people have already asked me what I would want to UPGRADE to?

8K resolution? No, not 8K. Sure 24K would be nice also if the day comes, but they are diminishing returns.

What I want is even more lumens, baby, more lumens. ;) :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The 5050 is an excellent 4K PJ. It’s excellent in its own merits. But definitely excellent considering the cost compared to some other PJs.

This lumens business is a dangerous game for sure. Have to see it to believe it. :D

When I was using an 1800-lumen PJ, it seemed bright enough in Natural Color Mode (although dim in Cinema Mode). But Natural Color Mode was bright enough. Then I used a 3000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden, the 1800-lumen PJ became too dim even in Natural Color Mode. Then I used a 6000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden 3000-lumens became too dim. :D

I’ve been using 70% power mode/Cinema mode. But when I was watching “Underworld Blood Wars”, it was too dim. So I had to use 100% power mode (normal mode).

Then I thought, hmm, why don’t I use 100% power mode for other contents? So I watched “Foundation” TV series episode 7 last night using 100% power mode. And WOW! It was even MORE AWESOME!

Now I’m wondering if 8000-lumen is what I WANT/DESIRE? :D

I was going to get the 7000 or 8000-lumen Epson, but they (7000-lumen and 8000-lumen PJ) were not available yet (until the “Holidays”).

So it’s a dangerous game we play.

For audio, we can buy more power amps that cost $10K and Pre-pros that cost $20K and we probably will NOT hear that much of a significant improvement. Maybe the Auto Room EQ software might give some people the sound they prefer. Awesome BASS is a significant improvement, especially if you’ve never heard it before.

But wow, the lumens are something special. Have to SEE it to believe it.

Some people have already asked me what I would want to UPGRADE to?

8K resolution? No, not 8K. Sure 24K would be nice also if the day comes, but they are diminishing returns.

What I want is even more lumens, baby, more lumens. ;) :D
Well, after reading this response and seeing how much you love those lumens. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go all out and get the Christie Griffyn. Comes with 34k lumens!! I think that should be enough to project on to my 250" 2.40:1 AT screen. :p:p:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, after reading this response and seeing how much you love those lumens. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go all out and get the Christie Griffyn. Comes with 34k lumens!! I think that should be enough to project on to my 250" 2.40:1 AT screen. :p:p:D
34K lumens would be crazy awesome. :D

I just watched Midnight Mass episode 4 using 100% power mode (6000-lumen). It was awesome. :D

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I have the UB5050 because I couldn't afford the JVC NX9 but am super happy with it. I wish I could squeeze a tiny bit more black out of it but overall it's fantastic.

20211010_134443.jpg

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I have the UB5050 because I couldn't afford the JVC NX9 but am super happy with it. I wish I could squeeze a tiny bit more black out of it but overall it's fantastic.

View attachment 51149
Was the NX9 your only option? Haha. You can easily get an NX5 in the $5k range. You might be able to get used for cheaper. Sony 295 for $4500/$5k.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got an update that the Epson 6050UB (4K 2600-lumen lamp-based) is now EOL (end of life, discontinued).

Epson should have a replacement in 2022 - probably the Laser 4K 2700-lumen - the LS12000.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
T
Just got an update that the Epson 6050UB (4K 2600-lumen lamp-based) is now EOL (end of life, discontinued).

Epson should have a replacement in 2022 - probably the Laser 4K 2700-lumen - the LS12000.
That is SUPER screwy. I heard the LS12000 was going to be a good deal more than the 5050/6050 models. I guess you didn't hear if the 5050 was also EOL? That just doesn't seem to make any sense to me if they got rid of the 5050 and the 6050. I guess since the 6050 is closer in price to the laser models it may make a fair bit of sense, but we will see what is in the $3,000 price category when the dust settles.

I really hope they are able to bring their 4K pixel shifting laser right in to replace the 5050. It is a logical progression and really would put pressure on others to make the move over to laser models, which is long overdue. BenQ really has some range as well with their use of high brightness LEDs making the potential for a really high quality entry level model possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is SUPER screwy. I heard the LS12000 was going to be a good deal more than the 5050/6050 models. I guess you didn't hear if the 5050 was also EOL? That just doesn't seem to make any sense to me if they got rid of the 5050 and the 6050. I guess since the 6050 is closer in price to the laser models it may make a fair bit of sense, but we will see what is in the $3,000 price category when the dust settles.

I really hope they are able to bring their 4K pixel shifting laser right in to replace the 5050. It is a logical progression and really would put pressure on others to make the move over to laser models, which is long overdue. BenQ really has some range as well with their use of high brightness LEDs making the potential for a really high quality entry level model possible.
Nope, the email just named the 6050UB as EOL.

But I have a good feeling the future is bright…and laser…and with a good price. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the new Epson LS12000 is due this summer 2022. MSRP is $5K.
So now the question is whether or not we will see updates to the 5050 and 4010 models this year. Rumors have been all over the place on the 5050. Some saying that stock is getting low and it will be discontinued completely in favor of the 12000. Makes no sense to me as they are in completely different price categories, but it is hard to say based upon current silicon shortages where Epson may direct what may be limited resources.

With LG and others dropping a number of sub $3,000 laser models to the market, I'm not sure how long Epson can hold pricing near $3,000 and getting into JVC and Sony territory.

Hopefully it just drives the ridiculous pricing of these units DOWN, rather than up.

Also, the upcoming BenQ X3000i is sure to generate a ton of buzz, even though BenQ sucks in terms of features in the same way Epson does. LG really has this part figured out with their new 710 model. HDMI 2.1 input, eARC output, a rare third HDMI connection, and optical with wired LAN and a couple USB connections. Epson, BenQ, and Optoma should be taking notes on that sort of thing.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Dang, I'm on the fence about this. Swap out the JVC NX5 for this new Epson???? Some serious questions here. Comparing it to the new "refreshed" NP5, Epson is giving you Laser with an extra 900 lumens, HDMI 2.1 at full 48gigs, 120Hz refresh rate, 2.1 million more contrast ratio and comes with both HDR/HDR10+. For $5k

Vs JVC NP5 which is the "Refreshed" version of the NX5

Still bulb based
ups the lumens by 100 to 1900 (NX5 has 1800)
Same contrast 400,000:1
120Hz refresh
HDMI 2.1
HDR/HDR10+

Going for $7k

But JVC comes with Frame-Adapt HDR. Which is pretty darn sweet. Epson is saying this new LS12000 has new software/processor to help with tone mapping. I'm guessing there will be updates to that after it comes out to improve it every so often.

I think this new Epson is going to be a game changer in the sub $5k range but also give JVC a run for their money. Since the starting price point for their laser is $11k.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Always comes down to what's TRULY IMPORTANT - Laser and Lumen. :D

1. LASER. Gotta be laser from here on out, especially for $5K+.
2. LUMENS. The more, the merrier. :D
3. COST. Of course, cost is always important.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is 4K-Native-8.3 million pixels vs 4K-Enhanced-8.3 million pixels as important as Laser and Lumens?

One thing that caught my attention is the pixel-count, which I would rank way below Laser and Lumens.

My Epson EB-PU1006W is 4K-4.6 million pixels, while the new Epson LS12000 is 4K-8.3 million pixels. :D

Again, I personally don't rank 4K-pixel-count that high, but it is a bit interesting. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just had a guest come over to my house. He’s into HT like us. He recently bought a JVC NX7 and 110” screen.

I showed him my HT with my Epson EB-PU1006. Played some samples of movies and ATMOS demo videos.

He looked at me practically with his jaws on the floor and eyes wide open and said, “Wow, I thought my NX7 was pretty good, but your projector is on a whole another level. I’ve never seen anything that looks this awesome in my life!”. :D

I told him that a lot of guys brag about contrast and black levels, which is definitely important. But high quality lumens is at least as important.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There has been a lot of good stuff from Epson this year. The update to the 2250 will be interesting to see how it stands up against the 3200/3800 models which really aren't that much more money, but have a better optical system and have had much better contrast in prior years.

The cheap 'portable' models seem more like entry level business class junk more than home theater. Certainly the cheap one is a long way from ideal for any home theater use and more for the kids or casual user. The better model FH02 at $630, may prove to be a very solid deal, but only if it has contrast that competes with the BenQ HT2050a ($750). I really like Epson, but there is a reason BenQ has dominated the market for quite a long time with that specific model and still does (IMO). It's a very solid projector, with actual usable features. The lack of ANY zoom on the Epson makes it more difficult to setup as well the lack of lens shift. It's basically a zero feature projector that includes Android TV instead of any features that improve image quality.

I have the same concern about their new UST model. Unless this model is approaching the image quality of the 5050UB, then why bother? These models with less contrast simply don't stand up against the competition, and there are people who DO want premium contrast in a UST LCD projector. Those who are truly RBE sensitive can't go with a Formovie Theater or a AWOL model. I could see Epson releasing both a lower brightness, high contrast UST model, as well as a UST high brightness model and it would be a pretty serious contender against the DLP alternatives if priced well.

And still, no new 4010 model with a proper HDMI 2.0 interface. No updated 5050UB with 4K pixel shifting.
This actually doesn't bug me, but their 3200-5050UB lineup is starting to age. The 5050UB is over 3 years old. The 4010 is about 4 years old. The 3200/3800 is just about 3 years old. They are all getting a bit long in the tooth.

The 2250, by contrast, is not even 2 years old yet at this point and is already getting a new model to replace it, or at least a step up from it for the 4K support. But, it's a fair price jump to get that upgrade.

With all the supply side issues right now, I have zero doubt this is impacting Epson just as it impacts the rest of us. I get it. I'm just ready to see them attack the $1,500-$3,000 range with updated products. That's really been their sweet spot for years.

Sorry, at $5,000, I'm buying a LCoS projector every day of the week.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis