K

kpn

Enthusiast
I'm considering going with dual subs. I feel stupid for asking this question, but, my receiver (old Marantz SR5200) has one preamp sub output and one 7.1 direct SS sub output and I'm wondering what the connections would be for this setup? I'm assuming the subs would be daisy chained, but hate to assume stuff.

Also, I'm running a firestick on an epson movie projector, which basically has a 3.5mm jack for audio out options (GASP!), unless the USB port on it is an output, not even sure. What are my options for running the native 6.1 digital surround (or 7.1 direct surround? never used this option before) signal through the receiver, if any? Thank you in advance for your help.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Something like this will take care of splitting the sub signal. Rca cable splitter. Single male, dual female.
Not sure about the projector deal. Someone will surely chime in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd put the firestick in the avr rather than the projector myself.....is there a reason it's plugged into the projector directly?

While your avr has one sub pre-out as mentioned the signal is easily split, many ".2" avrs merely have an internal splitter (altho some of the upper end models can independently adjust delay/level for two subs, and upcoming Denons can do four independently).

ps nm, didn't think the Marantz was that old as to not have hdmi :) Doubt the usb is audio out on the projector (or that your avr can deal with that either), seems all you'll get is stereo from the 3.5mm aux out.

K

kpn

Enthusiast
I'd put the firestick in the avr rather than the projector myself.....is there a reason it's plugged into the projector directly?

While your avr has one sub pre-out as mentioned the signal is easily split, many ".2" avrs merely have an internal splitter (altho some of the upper end models can independently adjust delay/level for two subs, and upcoming Denons can do four independently).

ps nm, didn't think the Marantz was that old as to not have hdmi :) Doubt the usb is audio out on the projector (or that your avr can deal with that either), seems all you'll get is stereo from the 3.5mm aux out.
so, i guess only ways to get digital signal for full surround is to go back to dvds and TV or upgrade avr? or upgrade projector? oof

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
so, i guess only ways to get digital signal for full surround is to go back to dvds and TV or upgrade avr? or upgrade projector? oof
It seems your avr is due for an upgrade IMO. Get newer audio codecs that way, too. Maybe a bluray player too ! :) What's all the gear you have now particularly in terms of make/model?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome. You can get 5.1 audio to your current receiver easily enough by connecting the Firestick to an HDMI audio extractor that will send the video to the projector and the 5.1 audio via optical to the receiver. You will need an optical, HDMI and Y Adapter cable for an additional sub as well as the extractor. You can get the extractor and cables for just a few bucks. Results will vary with different devices of course.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 3.39.18 PM.png

Last edited:
K

kpn

Enthusiast
It seems your avr is due for an upgrade IMO. Get newer audio codecs that way, too. Maybe a bluray player too ! :) What's all the gear you have now particularly in terms of make/model?
[/

All old stuff, basically just the marantz receiver sr5200, and a 6.1 newton series cambridge soundworks surround speaker system. P500 dual 8”drivers sub (not functioning),2 floor speakers, center channel, surrounds, and a matching rear channel. Epson home cinema 2150. That’s really it. Oh, i have a pair of older JBL reference monitors (idr model atm) also and a pair of yamaha msr-100 monitors. Pair of technics mk5 turntables and an old gemini 4 channel mixer. That’s it, nothing fancy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis