Monolith 8250x 8 Channel Amp

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The test data show much lower than 0.5%. The specs did not say 0.5, it says less than..
The specs stipulate: "less than 0.05% between 20 Hz and 5 kHz and 0.5% between frequencies 5 kHz - 20 kHz. We have to figure that they meant less than 0.5% as well for this latter frequency range. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Last edited:
N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
The good thing about Monolith is that they let you see their bench test results. SINAD looks very decent, if measured on ASR, it would likely do about 93 dB, similar to ATI's. It will be tough to find too many class AB amps that could do better in distortions and noise at the below $3,000 price point. If I need a 8X200 W amp, the 8250 would have been my top choice based on the specs, test results and the 5 year warranty.
Agree with you there! These were in/out of my shopping cart for the past 3 months even at the OLD price. Once the price dropped, I instantly made the purchase. I'm actually surprised more haven't bought them. They are using Hypex modules that were tested favorably by ASR and implemented by ATI, have their own test report that if anything, is pretty conservative, and a 5 year warranty. So many people discount that and I don't know why. As I look around my home, outside of the roof, my water heater and that amp, I can't find ANYTHING that has MORE warranty. Not even my Toyota, considered by many to be the most "reliable" car brand, has a 5 year warranty.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It's call a rhetorical question in case you need to look that up.

Anyway, I should get back to doing more important things than argue with people like you.
Dude, this is childish. When you swagger around with numbers of inaudibility at least have the decency to gracefully accept that you could be wrong, and own up to your own posts.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The specs stipulate: "less than 0.05% between 20 Hz and 5 kHz and 0.5% between frequencies 5 kHz - 20 kHz. We have to figure that they meant less than 0.5% as well for this latter frequency range. Sorry for my misunderstanding.
No problem, it is always confusing when the specs are stated without the details. By nature, amplifier distortions would vary with a few things, including the test frequency and the output level, among others.

In most cases, when compare specs you can only compare distortions at rated output with test signal at 1 kHz. In this case, Monolith provides much more, as much as or more than ASR's.

Their less than 0.5% 5-10 kHz is actually not bad, when you compare with other amps.

But first, take a look of the 1 kHz test that is typically included in amp specs:

Sequence Report (monoprice.com)
So you can see that the worse channel was channel 8, but still at only 0.002095%, 20-22,000 Hz. That's a lot lower than 0.5%. They may prefer to just say less than 0.5% in case some samples might have higher distortions due to manufacturing tolerances of certain parts/components, and/or they allowed for some load conditions that could be worse than those used during the bench tests. It could also be that they want to be on the conservative side. You can contact them for their rationale, I really shouldn't be guessing.

1664565105659.png

Now take a look of the THD+N vs test signal frequency:
Now you can see that the worst performing channel had THD+N of a little over 0.1% at 20 kHz, that's much higher than when tested with a 1 kHz signal but still below 0.5%.

1664565885985.png

For reference, take a look of the measurements of an AVR such as the Marantz SR7015:
The graph is arranged differently but you can also see much higher THD+N at higher test frequencies.

Note that the curve for test frequency higher than 10 kHz is not that important. When tested at 15 kHz, the harmonics will be in the ultrasonic band that you cannot hear anyway.

In this example, the SR7015 specs say 0.05% at rated output 20-20,000 Hz, but the measurements showed much lower levels at 1 kHz, about -89 dB, or 0.0035%.

1664566533793.png

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
and a 5 year warranty. So many people discount that and I don't know why. As I look around my home, outside of the roof, my water heater and that amp, I can't find ANYTHING that has MORE warranty.
That is my main point. 5 year warranty is very good indeed, on top of that you have a 45 day return window. If the unit works with no bugs for even 10 days, you can bet it will be trouble free for a long time.

I think they can offer 5 year warranty because they use some real heat sinks whereas most small independent manufacturers/assemblers simply mount the modules on the chassis and rely on the chassis/enclosure as the heatsinks.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, this is childish. When you swagger around with numbers of inaudibility at least have the decency to gracefully accept that you could be wrong, and own up to your own posts.
The dude deleted all posts of his that I quoted in this thread and then marked mine as dumb. :rolleyes:

OK, I’ll bite and just randomly mark posts of yours dumb elsewhere.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
That is my main point. 5 year warranty is very good indeed, on top of that you have a 45 day return window. If the unit works with no bugs for even 10 days, you can bet it will be trouble free for a long time.

I think they can offer 5 year warranty because they use some real heat sinks whereas most small independent manufacturers/assemblers simply mount the modules on the chassis and rely on the chassis/enclosure as the heatsinks.

Wow. I'm never this lucky. Lol. Price is back to $2999.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Wow. I'm never this lucky. Lol. Price is back to $2999.
Unless you are in a hurry, I’m certain it will be on sale again. Holidays are coming up!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Sorry for this question but is there an upside to this over day the Monolith 7x other than the smaller size and consuming less power to run?
Any thoughts on performance or durability that would be noticeable?
I’m guessing no but wanted to ensure my understanding

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry for this question but is there an upside to this over day the Monolith 7x other than the smaller size and consuming less power to run?
Any thoughts on performance or durability that would be noticeable?
I’m guessing no but wanted to ensure my understanding
If you consider the following:

- less than half the weight (like 1/3)
- 1 more channel
- should run cooler
- lower distortions, but the difference between the two should not result in audible difference.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Unless you are in a hurry, I’m certain it will be on sale again. Holidays are coming up!
That's one thing I'm starting to love about monoprice. They consistently do great sales on they're products. And I mean great sales. Some companies do sales and its like please. 70 dollars off? :rolleyes: Monoprice be dropping sales with 400 500 dollars off. Good stuff!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
If you consider the following:

- less than half the weight (like 1/3)
- 1 more channel
- should run cooler
- lower distortions, but the difference between the two should result in audible difference.
Thanks Peng, those are all positives. Have the 7x already so unless it breaks or I get an urge , not sure it’s worth it. But great choice if your buying now when on sale

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Peng, those are all positives. Have the 7x already so unless it breaks or I get an urge , not sure it’s worth it. But great choice if your buying now when on sale
Eventually I plan on replacing all of my amps in my room with class D. I spent my budget this year on the room but next year I plan on going for it.

I'm not expecting an audible difference but I want the extra rack space and the savings on weight and less heat is a big deal for me

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Eventually I plan on replacing all of my amps in my room with class D. I spent my budget this year on the room but next year I plan on going for it.

I'm not expecting an audible difference but I want the extra rack space and the savings on weight and less heat is a big deal for me
Well Dan I like the idea of you spending the money first then you can tell me how it goes :)

Forgot what AMP you are using now in your main room?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well Dan I like the idea of you spending the money first then you can tell me how it goes :)

I think a lot of our fellow audioholics share that same feeling :D I'll be more then happy to indulge you guys.

Right now I'm using an Anthem 525 and an Outlaw 7000X.

Before I'd buy that new monolith I'd have to see if I could install a new 20 amp circuit for it tho. It's a beast and requires 2 power cords. I highly doubt I'd ever push it to its full potential but it would be nice to have the headroom

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

When I'm ready I'll flip the Anthem use the cash for the Monoprice do the same with the Outlaw for the second one.

I heard a rumor Monoprice may be selling less channel units in 2023 so I'm holding out until then. I just need a 4 channel version of the big boy and the 8 channel version of the other and I'd be good to go. Also wait for one of they're sales

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis