The Marantz "Cinema Series" "2022-2023" AV Pre-Launch Thread

D

da Choge

Enthusiast
It looks like this thread has been closed, but I'll still attempt a post. Today's article regarding the new Marantz AVRs and AVP was interesting. A photo of the backside of the Cinema 50 AVR was posted. There were no inputs for 7.1 multichannel audio visible, yet on the Marantz website under "Full Specifications" and subheading "Inputs/Outputs" it clearly lists these as being available (it lists the same for the more expensive Cinema 40). Will there be any of Marantz's new models that has the 7.1 multichannel RCA audio inputs as a feature? It appears their uber-expensive AVP will not have them. The last hold-out appears to be the Cinema 40, but now I'm not sure if even that model will sport the multichannel input feature, even though Marantz says it does. Any concrete information available?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I look forward to the measurements of the new Marantz AMP-10 and AV-10.

Will these Marantz measure better (THD+N and Power Output) than the more expensive older Denon AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HDCI?

I also hope the interior of the new Marantz don't look like a jungle heat-trap like those older Denon's. :D

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Editorial Note About the $1k Price Difference Between Cinema 40 vs Cinema 50:
  • The Cinema 40 is designed and manufactured at their prestigious factory in Japan, a.k.a. Shirakawa Audio Works, same as the SR8015, while the Cinema 50 is manufactured in Vietnam.
  • The Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
  • The Cinema 40 has a more powerful EI core transformer, audio capacitor and higher rated power 125wpc vs 110wpc of Cinema 50.
  • The Cinema 40 utilizes monolithic amplifier construction, meaning each amplifier channel comes with its own amplifier PCB, instead of one single amplifier PCB for all channels providing better performance against crosstalk and vibration.
  • The Cinema 40 incorporates more acoustic treatment for audio tuning, cupper screws on the back panel, etc.
  • The Cinema 40 employs 7 HDMI inputs vs. 6 HDMI inputs of Cinema 50 (All inputs support up to 8K40, 4K120 on both models).
  • Aluminum and a large trap door design (face plate) providing access to A large 2 line FL display and cursor keys under the trap door allowing CINEMA 40 users to configure the receiver using only front panel keys and a large 2 line display. (the CINEMA 50 also support aluminum and trap door design but does not support a large FL display and setup buttons on the front panel)
  • The Cinema 40 has 3 source/3 zones vs 2 source/2 zones of Cinema 50.
  • The Cinema 40 has 3 trigger outputs vs. 2 of Cinema 50.

D

da Choge

Enthusiast
Gene:

Any word on whether the Cinema 40 will have 7.1 multichannel RCA inputs? Guess I'm Old School and maybe the only one who cares, but I'm still interested. Their website states it does, but those spec lists are often prone to mistakes, and I haven't seen the back panel.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene:

Any word on whether the Cinema 40 will have 7.1 multichannel RCA inputs? Guess I'm Old School and maybe the only one who cares, but I'm still interested. Their website states it does, but those spec lists are often prone to mistakes, and I haven't seen the back panel.
I think it has 7.1 inputs but I will ask.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

• The Cinema 40 utilizes higher grade audio components and design. (IE. HDAM-SA2 improve version similar to the SR8015).
Will the lower AVP model, the replacement for the AV7706 get the HDAM SA2 improved version too? I wonder why they wouldn't call it SA2a or something like that..

A

Audiguy3

Enthusiast
I hope we learn when the A10 and AMP 10 are going to be shipping

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hope we learn when the A10 and AMP 10 are going to be shipping
That’s been stated previously that the upper tier products should be expected by March 2023.
…which coincides pretty nicely with the statement that Dirac should be enabled and available to purchase… in March 2023.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
That’s been stated previously that the upper tier products should be expected by March 2023.
…which coincides pretty nicely with the statement that Dirac should be enabled and available to purchase… in March 2023.
But the statement also said - DLBC, later... March is only for base Dirac Live

And SRC is work in progress - date yet to be set.

A

Audiguy3

Enthusiast
The article now states shipping to begin at the end of October. Dealers are taking orders. My dealer said that he received a email from Marantz to get in the Q early because of expected orders. Also reviewers are saying that they will be receiving samples soon. I am not sure they will do this for products shipping in March

D

da Choge

Enthusiast
I think it has 7.1 inputs but I will ask.
Not sure if you've had a chance to inquire about this, but for my needs, I definitely want the 7.1 multichannel RCA input capability. My guess (unfortunately), is that Denon, and now, Marantz, have completely abandoned the 7.1 inputs on all their new AVR/AVP models (the Marantz Cinema 40 is my last hope of a model that might incorporate them, but I don't think the prognosis looks favorable). If this feature has already become a legacy connection for both of these two major brands, I will start looking for either used units or discounted remaining inventory of last year's models. I would truly like to acquire one of their newer models, but not at the cost of losing the 7.1 multichannel inputs.

PS. If none of Marantz's new models have 7.1 multichannel input capability, Marantz needs to remove that feature from the listed specifications of both the Cinema 50 and Cinema 40 on their website - we already know it is incorrect for the Cinema 50.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if you've had a chance to inquire about this, but for my needs, I definitely want the 7.1 multichannel RCA input capability. My guess (unfortunately), is that Denon, and now, Marantz, have completely abandoned the 7.1 inputs on all their new AVR/AVP models (the Marantz Cinema 40 is my last hope of a model that might incorporate them, but I don't think the prognosis looks favorable). If this feature has already become a legacy connection for both of these two major brands, I will start looking for either used units or discounted remaining inventory of last year's models. I would truly like to acquire one of their newer models, but not at the cost of losing the 7.1 multichannel inputs.

PS. If none of Marantz's new models have 7.1 multichannel input capability, Marantz needs to remove that feature from the listed specifications of both the Cinema 50 and Cinema 40 on their website - we already know it is incorrect for the Cinema 50.
It is not a bad thing for them to remove those legacy connections anyway because very few people would use them so why force everyone to pay for the feature? Do you need those because your player doesn't have HDMI, or you just believe using analog outputs to the AVR would give you better sound quality?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I saw the Cinema 40 and 50 at CEDIA, and I'm fairly sure I saw Multichannel inputs. According to the specs on the Marantz site for the 40 and 50:

1664973767873.png

D

da Choge

Enthusiast
Do you need those because your player doesn't have HDMI, or you just believe using analog outputs to the AVR would give you better sound quality?
I have a multichannel DAC (8-channel) that I want to use in conjunction with the AVR multichannel inputs. I would use the inputs only for the 4 surround channels, the subwoofer, and possibly the center channel. For the front stereo channels, I would use the AVR's pre-amp outs to a separate external amp. I have a large stereo and moderate size multichannel music collection that have been ripped to digital files. Not interested in using the DAC or the AVR's multichannel inputs in conjunction with video (NOT for home theater). I realize this is a very niche use/interest and I do understand why the inclusion of the multichannel inputs is becoming a thing of the past.
I saw the Cinema 40 and 50 at CEDIA, and I'm fairly sure I saw Multichannel inputs. According to the specs on the Marantz site for the 40 and 50:
I hope you did see them (on the Cinema 40), but as we have already seen released photos of the rear panel of the Cinema 50, and it doesn't have them, the Input/Output specifications on the Marantz website, at least for the Cinema 50, are incorrect. There are no photos of the rear panel of the Cinema 40 that I have been able to find.

Last edited:
Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
D

da Choge

Enthusiast
Skip to 0:47
Thanks !!! Finally answered! -- NONE of the new Denon or Marantz AVRs/AVPs will have 7.1 multichannel inputs unless the rumored Cinema 30 will (doubtful). I am sorry to see that, but I guess that's just the natural evolution of these AV components. The Rotel RSP-1576MKII AVP and the Rotel RSP-1580MKII AVC have the 7.1 inputs, but they are only 4K capable as far as their video. The higher-end uber-expensive Trinnov AVP and maybe some of the models in other similar higher-end/expensive brands may also sport them, but, alas, they're few and far-between these days.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks !!! Finally answered! -- NONE of the new Denon or Marantz AVRs/AVPs will have 7.1 multichannel inputs unless the rumored Cinema 30 will (doubtful). I am sorry to see that, but I guess that's just the natural evolution of these AV components. The Rotel RSP-1576MKII AVP and the Rotel RSP-1580MKII AVC have the 7.1 inputs, but they are only 4K capable as far as their video. The higher-end uber-expensive Trinnov AVP and maybe some of the models in other similar higher-end/expensive brands may also sport them, but, alas, they're few and far-between these days.
You do have a good reason to use the 7.1 analog inputs so either go with the flag ship model Denon AVR or Marantz if the 30 is a replacement of the SR8015. Are there features you need that are not available on the 8015?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis