Which 12 AWG speaker cable to choose

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Longest run might be 50ft max. I have 8 speakers to wire so that adds up fast.

Is the amazon speaker wire good enough?
That Amazon cable does not appear to be rated for in-wall...
Your description earlier:
In drop ceiling and behind tv wall,
...really dictates that you buy "In Wall" CL2 rated cable.

Which is why I asked in the first reply to your question:
Are you doing any in wall work, or will this be strictly in the room?
:)

That Amazon product doesn't look bad for what it is, but you need to get that CL2 rating for safety purposes.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, I just moved to a new house and have to rewire my whole system. I have good cables for my LCR but need to get a ton of wire for the rest of my speakers. I will have 7.2.4. Any suggestions what I should go for?
AmazonBasics 12-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen Free Copper, 200-Foot https://a.co/d/4e7OWwO

Audioquest has good 14/2. That's what my AV store is trying to sell me.

Price is much higher. I am in Canada so if someone has a suggestion I am all ears. I probably need around 200 ft as I have to wire 8 speakers through a drop ceiling.

Thanks everyone
Agree, no fraudioquest (and I'd have trouble shopping at a store that pushes that nonsense). I generally buy reels of 12g from Monoprice myself, but Amazon's copper would be fine, too. No need for "oxygen free" particularly either, ETF copper works just fine. I don't run in-wall so don't need CL2 myself. If you can find 12g zip cord at your local hardware/home improvement store, that will work fine, too (well not in-wall, but they should have CL2 choices as well).

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
@jakkedtide :
Something like this:

Also available through Amazon:
I like that this is cl2 Monoprice. Looks like the amazon one is shielded but doesn't have it labeled cl2 (seems like it should by the looks and description).

Almost the same price but the Monoprice is only available on Amazon.com so I might have duties to pay

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Agree, no fraudioquest (and I'd have trouble shopping at a store that pushes that nonsense). I generally buy reels of 12g from Monoprice myself, but Amazon's copper would be fine, too. No need for "oxygen free" particularly either, ETF copper works just fine. I don't run in-wall so don't need CL2 myself. If you can find 12g zip cord at your local hardware/home improvement store, that will work fine, too (well not in-wall, but they should have CL2 choices as well).
Most of the cable will be in the drop ceiling so the only in wall is to go down the sides and behind the tv wall

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I like that this is cl2 Monoprice. Looks like the amazon one is shielded but doesn't have it labeled cl2 (seems like it should by the looks and description).

Almost the same price but the Monoprice is only available on Amazon.com so I might have duties to pay
Damn, add $50 for shipping and import fees. So not very good anymore

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Found this one on the Canadian Amazon

12 AWG CL3 OFC Outdoor Speaker Wire, GearIT Pro Series 12 Gauge (250 Feet / 76.2 Meters/Black) Oxygen Free Copper UL CL3 Rated for Outdoor Direct Burial and in-Wall Installation Speaker Cable https://a.co/d/4TLjil2

Seems better than the Amazon basics one.

What does everyone think?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many have used that style, too. It'd work just fine but not sure how flexible it may or may not be....

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Found this one on the Canadian Amazon

12 AWG CL3 OFC Outdoor Speaker Wire, GearIT Pro Series 12 Gauge (250 Feet / 76.2 Meters/Black) Oxygen Free Copper UL CL3 Rated for Outdoor Direct Burial and in-Wall Installation Speaker Cable https://a.co/d/4TLjil2

Seems better than the Amazon basics one.

What does everyone think?
GearIT 12/2 Speaker Wire (250 Feet) 12AWG Gauge - in Wall Audio Speaker Wire Cable / CL2 Rated / 2 Conductors - OFC Oxygen-Free Copper, White 250ft https://a.co/d/9pmBdpk

This one has import fee too even on Canadian Amazon, weird and its cl2 where the cl3 has no import fee.

Looks like the cl3 might be my best bet.

Thanks guys for your help!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
GearIT 12/2 Speaker Wire (250 Feet) 12AWG Gauge - in Wall Audio Speaker Wire Cable / CL2 Rated / 2 Conductors - OFC Oxygen-Free Copper, White 250ft https://a.co/d/9pmBdpk

This one has import fee too even on Canadian Amazon, weird and its cl2 where the cl3 has no import fee.

Looks like the cl3 might be my best bet.

Thanks guys for your help!
Not familiar with the brand, but looks fine.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
CL3 is able to handle higher voltages. As to how it performs in a system with regular Speakers, I am not certain...
Perhaps somebody else can clarify?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic

OK so found the Monoprice one for the same price.

So price is the same. Which do I go for the Monoprice cl2

Or

Gear it cl3

????

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Perform in what way?
Dunno... not certain if the higher voltage handling would somehow change some other characteristic of the conductor (impedance or capacitance, or if that is even possible) and didn't want to speak definitively toward that.

I know my limits. ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe some of our canadian members like @Eppie or @}Fear_Inoculum{ or @3db or @Verdinut have some sourcing suggestions for you up north there....
I use the Monoprice AWG 14 and 12 because it is really affordable and good as anything more expensive.

What counts in a speaker wire is the overall resistance which depends on its length. If it's to be used to feed a 4 ohm woofer or subwoofer, for a long run a bigger wire size should be used than for an 8 ohm driver, as total wire resistance can annul the damping effect of an amplifier. In such situation, a poor transient response would result.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Dunno... not certain if the higher voltage handling would somehow change some other characteristic of the conductor (impedance or capacitance, or if that is even possible) and didn't want to speak definitively toward that.

I know my limits. ;)
I think cl3 is plenum rated so if it goes up in flames it’s not toxic smoke going through vents. Comes with a higher capacitance which is likely inaudible but def not better.

I think I remember that. CL2 for me. Better and cheaper IIRC. YMMV and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
CL3 is able to handle higher voltages. As to how it performs in a system with regular Speakers, I am not certain...
Perhaps somebody else can clarify?
That's not because of the wire, it's the insulation that allows it to handle higher voltage.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis