Which 12 AWG speaker cable to choose

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There are light weight banana plugs designed to be used with test and measurement equipment.
And there are heavy weight banana plugs designed to be used with speaker cables.
With limited access to the amp terminals, heavy banana plugs are the best choice.
You'll never see the reason why your last comments don't matter until you learn about current. Read my previous post. There's no banana plug on the planet that won't handle the signal from just about ANY audio amplifier with a 4 Ohm load. The power level isn't continuous and even at 6000W, they'll become warm, but who'll be operating at that level?

WRT lightweight lugs for testing- the application dictates the connector. ALWAYS. Only voltage, resistance and current matter- If the amplifier doesn't have large heat sinks, you don't need "heavy" banana plugs because the amp can't deliver enough current for this to matter. You're not going to magically see more power from an amplifier than what the power circuit can deliver from the wall outlet. Not gonna happen. Can't happen.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I have been using Pomona 1330 Double Banana Plugs for over a half century and while they are rated at 15 Amps, I think that there are now better choices for speaker cables. And their construction doesn't hold a heavy speaker cable very well at all, especially when trying to insert them almost blind behind an amp.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have been using Pomona 1330 Double Banana Plugs for over a half century and while they are rated at 15 Amps, I think that there are now better choices for speaker cables. And their construction doesn't hold a heavy speaker cable very well at all, especially when trying to insert them almost blind behind an amp.
Those are interesing double banana plugs, but the spacing between various electronic equipment varies. They will not fit for all situations.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You'll never see the reason why your last comments don't matter until you learn about current. Read my previous post. There's no banana plug on the planet that won't handle the signal from just about ANY audio amplifier with a 4 Ohm load. The power level isn't continuous and even at 6000W, they'll become warm, but who'll be operating at that level?

WRT lightweight lugs for testing- the application dictates the connector. ALWAYS. Only voltage, resistance and current matter- If the amplifier doesn't have large heat sinks, you don't need "heavy" banana plugs because the amp can't deliver enough current for this to matter. You're not going to magically see more power from an amplifier than what the power circuit can deliver from the wall outlet. Not gonna happen. Can't happen.
Also, if someone wants to use heavy banana plugs, they should be the expanding type or they fall off easily with the attached speaker cable weight. I prefer SpeakON connectors when the equipment features them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
" If you have cabling that matches the Impedance load of the speaker and accounts for distance runs, you are fine."- there's no cable that matches the impedance of the speakers, it's a matter of not adding resistance to the load, whether inherently, or by becoming warmer from excessive current. The latter means it wasn't a large enough conductor in the first place.

The current on speaker cable isn't usually enough to cause a problem for the wire, the problem is when the speaker load becomes too much for the output devices and in that case sometimes, thermal runaway occurs with varying results.

I=E/R and at P=E²/R. 100W @ 4 Ohms = 20VAC, so at 100W, I/R= 20/4, or 5A. That's not a lot for 18 awg to handle, even less taxing for 12 awg. Power and length are everything, for this discussion.
Yes. I used clumsy wording. By matching the impedance load, I was alluding to the lower gauge/thicker cable as having lower resistance and being a better suited match to a low impedance speaker, especially as distance increases.
Thank you. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. I used clumsy wording. By matching the impedance load, I was alluding to the lower gauge/thicker cable as having lower resistance and being a better suited match to a low impedance speaker, especially as distance increases.
Thank you. ;)
I try and use "suited to 4 ohm load" more than using "matching"....fwiw.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I try and use "suited to 4 ohm load" more than using "matching"....fwiw.
Ideally, the total resistance of the speaker wire from an amplifier to a speaker should not exceed 5% of the minimal impedance of the driven speaker , which does not necessarily coincide with the nominal figure published by the manufacturer as we already know.

highfigh

highfigh

Those are interesing double banana plugs, but the spacing between various electronic equipment varies. They will not fit for all situations.
The spacing used to be much closer to 'standard', in the past, but AVR manufacturers decided to alter it because they knew single plugs were available and I have to wonder if they thought about the fact that they could sell more units if people blew up their amps by fiddling with the plugs without looking, which can cause the plugs to touch. That's not possible with the singe piece molded plastic type. When I see long metal banana plugs sticking out of receivers, amps and speakers that have standard (or less) spacing, I cringe.

highfigh

highfigh

Also, if someone wants to use heavy banana plugs, they should be the expanding type or they fall off easily with the attached speaker cable weight. I prefer SpeakON connectors when the equipment features them.
Even SpeakOn are made for convenience when equipment is installed and moved/changed frequently. In a permanent installation, there's no need for all of this stuff and most systems are more similar to the definition of 'permanent installation'.

S

sand87

Audioholic
i went ahead with the amazon banana plugs seeing all your comments.so thats settled as of now but great to read so much info

S

sand87

Audioholic
also i bought the amazon basic cables of 12awg.have to now connect them to my polk S20.Thanks a lot for the comments.u guys saved me some money

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Hey guys, I just moved to a new house and have to rewire my whole system. I have good cables for my LCR but need to get a ton of wire for the rest of my speakers. I will have 7.2.4. Any suggestions what I should go for?
AmazonBasics 12-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen Free Copper, 200-Foot https://a.co/d/4e7OWwO

Audioquest has good 14/2. That's what my AV store is trying to sell me.

Price is much higher. I am in Canada so if someone has a suggestion I am all ears. I probably need around 200 ft as I have to wire 8 speakers through a drop ceiling.

Thanks everyone

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey guys, I just moved to a new house and have to rewire my whole system. I have good cables for my LCR but need to get a ton of wire for the rest of my speakers. I will have 7.2.4. Any suggestions what I should go for?
AmazonBasics 12-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen Free Copper, 200-Foot https://a.co/d/4e7OWwO

Price is much higher. I am in Canada so if someone has a suggestion I am all ears. I probably need around 200 ft as I have to wire 8 speakers through a drop ceiling.

Thanks everyone
Definitely avoid the Fraudioquest product! Any and all.

Oxygen Free Copper is inexpensive enough these days that it’s ok to buy.
Just avoid anything that is Copper Clad Aluminum or Steel.

12AWG is what I use. It should be good for any impedance you likely come up against up to 50ft runs.

Are you doing any in wall work, or will this be strictly in the room?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks everyone
Sounds as if you have some long runs. I have also. I would use 10G Belden speaker cable. Bought in bulk in 100' spools it is very good value.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks everyone
What is the longest run to a speaker. While 10ga is great, it is a bit harder to work with, even stranded.
How will you run your wires, is the room already finished?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Definitely avoid the Fraudioquest product! Any and all.

Oxygen Free Copper is inexpensive enough these days that it’s ok to buy.
Just avoid anything that is Copper Clad Aluminum or Steel.

12AWG is what I use. It should be good for any impedance you likely come up against up to 50ft runs.

Are you doing any in wall work, or will this be strictly in the room?
In drop ceiling and behind tv wall, down the sides on the wall for surrounds.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
What is the longest run to a speaker. While 10ga is great, it is a bit harder to work with, even stranded.
How will you run your wires, is the room already finished?
Longest run might be 50ft max. I have 8 speakers to wire so that adds up fast.

Is the amazon speaker wire good enough?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Longest run might be 50ft max. I have 8 speakers to wire so that adds up fast.

Is the amazon speaker wire good enough?
In that case I advise 10G cable. The Belden cable I used was not hard to work with. I ran 650 ft. of it in my AV room.

I do advise running all AV cables in conduit, and that includes speaker cable. That makes change out for failure and especially change in technology easy. My rule is no wire goes in a wall, under a floor, or above a ceiling without being in conduit. NO EXCEPTIONS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis