P

Push

Audioholic
Since my budget got slashed this fall for my loudspeaker purchase, I was looking at a set of KEF Q950s to act as a stop gap before buying something I really liked. And the day I was going to pull the trigger on them, I saw the R500s come on sale for a song ($1240 Cdn a pair). Their size suited my tastes, and the Q950s were going to be on sale for another month, so I decided to pull the trigger and pick up a pair.

And I'm glad I did. When I first hooked them up, and started playing Healey, my first thought was "Nope, these are headed back". The bass was poor, undefined. Even though the drivers are only 5 1/4", I expected more. Even my Paradigm Atoms had better bass. And the highs/mid range were shrill, not laid back as I expected from a Polk speaker. But after about 2 hours of listening, the bass tightened up to what I expected and the mids/highs smoothed out considerably. My first thought was that my ears had just grown accustomed, but with each fresh listening session, things are improving more and more.

After about 20 hrs of listening, I have a pair of speakers whose mids and highs are very accurate, musical, laid back without losing resolution. And the bass drivers are outperforming what I expected a 5 1/4 driver to be able to do. I'm sure those with a more discerning ear will be able to hear certain shortcomings, but for an average guy with midline equipment (Rega Brio, P3, Fono MM) I am exceedingly happy with these speakers. I would definitely recommend them to anyone putting together a modest stereo set up.

Rod

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you didn't do any adjustments at all (like to the AVR)? Just simply played the speakers for more hours?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you got broken in to the speakers :)

P

Push

Audioholic
Sounds like you got broken in to the speakers :)
I dunno, I suspect some of this, but my ears have been sensitive (sometimes hyper sensitive) to harsh highs and mids for 52 years, and its only gotten worse as I age. I never got broke in to the Paradigm Atoms, indeed I became less tolerant of the harshness, to the point where I wasn't listening for more than an hour at a time. I just did another 4 hour session, with 0 fatigue. Anyway, at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with these modest little speakers.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I dunno, I suspect some of this, but my ears have been sensitive (sometimes hyper sensitive) to harsh highs and mids for 52 years, and its only gotten worse as I age. I never got broke in to the Paradigm Atoms, indeed I became less tolerant of the harshness, to the point where I wasn't listening for more than an hour at a time. I just did another 4 hour session, with 0 fatigue. Anyway, at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with these modest little speakers.
Same here. I was pretty happy with my Klispch RF62IIs for quite some time, then it seems like in short amount of time they became nearly unlistenable for music at anything over low volumes. Then movies became grating and then I changed speakers. Ended up with Q750/Q650 front and am very happy with them.

P

Push

Audioholic
Same here. I was pretty happy with my Klispch RF62IIs for quite some time, then it seems like in short amount of time they became nearly unlistenable for music at anything over low volumes. Then movies became grating and then I changed speakers. Ended up with Q750/Q650 front and am very happy with them.
Sigh, I really wanted Q750s, but they were $2100/pr, more than the 950s that were on sale. Now I see they're on sale this week for $1400/pr, less than the R500s. Figgers lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good news is that none of these speakers mentioned have the status of “last speakers I will ever need to buy”.

So just enjoy your current GOOD speakers, save up money, and plan your “last speakers I will ever need to buy”. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis