Computer Desk Build

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thats a monster desk, I am jealous of your mad carpentry skills! When I read the top of your post I was going to say you should get an uplift base...then I scrolled down. Makes my bamboo top look like toilet paper.. lol great job.
Thanks! Yea I researched a bunch of the different standing desk options, but kept coming back to the uplift desks. The fact that they fixed the issue with their 4 leg design put me over the edge. The 4 leg had the weight rating I was looking for, but the wobble was a concern. Seeing that they added the feet attachment made it perfect. The thing is solid as a rock all the way up and down.

I really love bamboo tops, they just didn't come in the size I was looking for and getting a custom bamboo top was too cost prohibitive, especially once I got offered the mahogany for an absolute steal.

I am really hesitant to get a OLED TV for a monitor mainly because I do office work at my desk from 6am-4pm when I am not traveling. I got the Dell 42" U4320Q because text quality is so important. It sacrifices PQ, contrast of an OLED, and no 120hz. It is perfect for what I do. That being said, I will be building another gaming rig soon, have all the parts except MoBo, CPU and GPU (waiting for the latest releases) and may switch. I am going to wait for QD-OLED to mature and I may go that route.
Honestly, I don't know that I would go for any of the 40XX series if you were going the Nvidia route. That and the new intel CPU's are just too power hungry. An OC'ed mid tier gaming computer with OLED monitor is going to be pushing what a 15 amp outlet can provide. Worse if it's not a dedicated outlet. I'd wait for the 40's to come out, hop on a slightly cheaper 3080, 3080Ti, or 3090 and call it a day.

For office work, it probably wouldn't be great, but for more casual use and gaming they're super hard to beat. I've been watching guys who have been using the C1 for almost 2 years now daily driving them and there's basically no burn in. 4-6 years down the line may be a different story, but with the advancements in displays and other tech I'm not looking for a long term solution. While you wait for QD-OLED, the mini-LED monitors are awesome. They give OLED a run for the money and reduce the chance of burn in. If you're worried about burn in I'd probably give that a try.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Honestly, I don't know that I would go for any of the 40XX series if you were going the Nvidia route. That and the new intel CPU's are just too power hungry. An OC'ed mid tier gaming computer with OLED monitor is going to be pushing what a 15 amp outlet can provide. Worse if it's not a dedicated outlet. I'd wait for the 40's to come out, hop on a slightly cheaper 3080, 3080Ti, or 3090 and call it a day.

For office work, it probably wouldn't be great, but for more casual use and gaming they're super hard to beat. I've been watching guys who have been using the C1 for almost 2 years now daily driving them and there's basically no burn in. 4-6 years down the line may be a different story, but with the advancements in displays and other tech I'm not looking for a long term solution. While you wait for QD-OLED, the mini-LED monitors are awesome. They give OLED a run for the money and reduce the chance of burn in. If you're worried about burn in I'd probably give that a try.
As far as the uplift desk I have the Standard V-2 Frame, its on carpet and it is super stable, I have no issues.

I was at the very empty CES in January and saw the QD-OLED in person, so I was impressed, but I think the dell model was missing inputs.

I am considering the AMD for the first time since I built an FX-53 back in 2003ish. It is less power draw per performance. I do have heat concerns, but I have a 360 AIO in addition to 10 120mm fans, so should have that covered. I had a RTX 3090 in my last build, it was great, but some games will just not hit 60fps at max settings and the increased benchmarks of the 40XX series should make 4K 60fps+ with ray tracing a reality.

Already have sitting at home, all the parts outside of Mobo and CPU and a M.2 5th gen drive. I was going to build a PC a while back, held off, kept the case and PSU and just added stuff along the way.
  • Lian Li o11D Evo w Front Mesh Upgrade
  • NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB 360mm
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM,
  • 1 x WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 M.2
  • 2 x Samsung 1TB 970 evo (Left over from last build)
  • (10) x Lian Li UNI Fan SL-INF 120 RGB (3x3 pack and 1 120 for Rear)
  • 32GB 6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 Series 32GB CL30 Memory

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As far as the uplift desk I have the Standard V-2 Frame, its on carpet and it is super stable, I have no issues.

I was at the very empty CES in January and saw the QD-OLED in person, so I was impressed, but I think the dell model was missing inputs.

I am considering the AMD for the first time since I built an FX-53 back in 2003ish. It is less power draw per performance. I do have heat concerns, but I have a 360 AIO in addition to 10 120mm fans, so should have that covered. I had a RTX 3090 in my last build, it was great, but some games will just not hit 60fps at max settings and the increased benchmarks of the 40XX series should make 4K 60fps+ with ray tracing a reality.

Already have sitting at home, all the parts outside of Mobo and CPU and a M.2 5th gen drive. I was going to build a PC a while back, held off, kept the case and PSU and just added stuff along the way.
  • Lian Li o11D Evo w Front Mesh Upgrade
  • NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB 360mm
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM,
  • 1 x WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 M.2
  • 2 x Samsung 1TB 970 evo (Left over from last build)
  • (10) x Lian Li UNI Fan SL-INF 120 RGB (3x3 pack and 1 120 for Rear)
  • 32GB 6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 Series 32GB CL30 Memory
Dedicated circuit?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In my home office I have a dedicated circuit for my Computer gear, with UPS backup and whole home surge protection as my house is only 5 years old.
What size UPS and 15 or 20 amp circuit?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
20 amp, I was originally going to make this bedroom a 2 channel listening room, but got vetoed by the mrs., so worked out well. the UPS is just 1500VA which is more than enough to be able to shut things down safely during a power outage. 1600w PS is about 14.5amps power draw at full load, so should be fine.

Ok I see where you were going with this apparently the UPS won't work, which is not terrible I have it now, will use it in our other office.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
20 amp, I was originally going to make this bedroom a 2 channel listening room, but got vetoed by the mrs., so worked out well. the UPS is just 1500VA which is more than enough to be able to shut things down safely during a power outage. 1600w PS is about 14.5amps power draw at full load, so should be fine.

Ok I see where you were going with this apparently the UPS won't work, which is not terrible I have it now, will use it in our other office.
lol. That's always the most annoying thing when upgrading. Everything down stream/upstream has to be able to keep up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis