4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn 2012 4K DTS-HD MA.

Video: Superb. Shot with the Red Epic 5K-resolution digital camera.

Audio: Solid DTS-HD MA. I heard some good bass. Good surround ambience.

Story: Written by Aaron and Todd Helbing, who have written for Spartacus 2010, Spartacus Blood and Sand, Spartacus Gods of the Arena, Black Sails, Superman & Lois, Smallville 2008, Knightfall 2019.The writing seems excellent.

I was really pleasantly surprised how good this movie (or mini-series) is!

I expected it to be another dumb small production movie or mini-series with unknown B-List actors.

But the writing is really good, directing is really good. If this were made as a big-budget movie, it would have been awesome.

I think this Halo4 movie/mini-series paved the way for the new Halo TV series, sans the Kwan crap character and other minor nuisances.

The pace is fast and furious with good action.

I didn’t know who wrote this until after I saw it. Then I realized these writers have written some things I really love like Spartacus and Black Sails. So it makes perfect sense that the writing and directing is so good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They'll probably make that series AFTER "House of the Dragon" ends in about 10 years. :D
I was a little underwhelmed with that first episode, but it has a lot of groundwork to lay down and characters to introduce. It was interesting and will need to see where it goes, but it was pretty dense.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was a little underwhelmed with that first episode, but it has a lot of groundwork to lay down and characters to introduce. It was interesting and will need to see where it goes, but it was pretty dense.
Yeah, the first episode is mainly an introduction for setting and characters.

I still loved it. I felt like the old GoT never left.

They didn't waste anytime with the Dragons. :D

PQ is excellent as expected from the Arri Alexa 4K digital camera.

I do love TV series. But I also do hope that one day they will make the GoT movies - one movie for each book. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yeah, the first episode is mainly an introduction for setting and characters.

I still loved it. I felt like the old GoT never left.

They didn't waste anytime with the Dragons. :D

PQ is excellent as expected from the Arri Alexa 4K digital camera.

I do love TV series. But I also do hope that one day they will make the GoT movies - one movie for each book. :D
I really liked this first episode. They did a good job at bringing everybody back to Westeros. Though a smidge rushed, I don't blame them. They have a to introduce a lot of characters. Similar to how GoT's started. I'm really looking forward to the entire season. Welcome back to the blood, gore, violence, sex, nudity and dragons! :p

I watched it live on HBO so didn't get to view it in all of it's 4k DV/Atmos glory. I will re-watch it on 4k once it's released on physical.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sex was toned down in this episode, blood and gore wasn't. The things that it did lay down very quickly will be interesting to see how they play out. Already not looking good for the current King lol. "The only ones who can destroy the reign of the Targaryens are the Targaryens themselves" (or something to that effect).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Top Gun Maverick - 4K ATMOS, Streaming Version.

PQ: Superb PQ even on highly compressed streaming as expected from the 6K Sony Venice digital camera that Joseph Kosinski always uses for his movies.

When they show flashback scenes from the original Top Gun movie (shot with 35 mm analog), the old 35 mm scenes look like pure crap in comparison. :D

The aerial flight scenes are intense - as everyone has already raves about.

SQ: I’ll wait for the BluRay version to give my conclusion. But this highly compressed streaming version sounds very good. I think it could have been better - could have been an ATMOS masterpiece with those kinds of aerial/dogfight/missile scenes. But it is still excellent. Maybe the BD version will be even better than the streaming version.

Story/Writing: I love it. I think it is very good. It has a more story than the original Top Gun. The 1st movie is about being a kid. The 2nd movie is about being a grownup.

Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion and TRON Legacy are still my favorites, but Maverick is very close. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Top Gun Maverick - 4K ATMOS, Streaming Version.

PQ: Superb PQ even on highly compressed streaming as expected from the 6K Sony Venice digital camera that Joseph Kosinski always uses for his movies.

When they show flashback scenes from the original Top Gun movie (shot with 35 mm analog), the old 35 mm scenes look like pure crap in comparison. :D

The aerial flight scenes are intense - as everyone has already raves about.

SQ: I’ll wait for the BluRay version to give my conclusion. But this highly compressed streaming version sounds very good. I think it could have been better - could have been an ATMOS masterpiece with those kinds of aerial/dogfight/missile scenes. But it is still excellent. Maybe the BD version will be even better than the streaming version.

Story/Writing: I love it. I think it is very good. It has a more story than the original Top Gun. The 1st movie is about being a kid. The 2nd movie is about being a grownup.

Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion and TRON Legacy are still my favorites, but Maverick is very close. :D
Top Gun Maverick was great in the theaters. Sucks I have to wait until Nov. 1st for my physical copy. I won't waste my time with streaming. It's nowhere near as good as the physical. Until they open up the bitrates and use less compression, it will never ever compare. PQ/SQ on the physical will be the very best you can get. K-scape version will be almost identical to the physical version. The movie is sitting around 68gigs for size. :D

The 6k and Imax shots looked great! Can't beat that kind of resolution.

I do hope Disney releases Tron on 4k on physical at some point. With DV and Atmos that movie would look and sound amazing. Shoot, it looks good on blu ray, so I can only imagine what a 4k release would look like.

K

Kiebry

Audiophyte
I just watched Nope on IMAX at the VUE in the light in Leeds for really cheap. It was really impressive and it's the first film I've been to watch in IMAX. Is it Dolby Atmos they use in the IMAX cinema rooms?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the Netflix movie Day Shift last night. I'll give it a 6/10.

PQ-was meh. I can't find what cameras were used, but the IMDB say's 6k/8k source. They definitely put some film grain in. It is not 6k/8k crispy at all. To me it looked like blu ray quality. This is the first movie by this director, so not sure if this was his "artistic" approach to the movie.

SQ- meh. Atmos was used sparingly. Bass was very light. The SQ in this movie does not equal to that of other expensive Netflix movies like The Adam Project.

If you like vampire movies you'll probably enjoy this one. There is nothing groundbreaking with the story. Same old, same old. Now add in Jaime Foxx, Snoop Dogg and Dave Franco. It was entertaining and had some funny moments, but if you never watch it, you aren't missing anything.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the Netflix movie Day Shift last night. I'll give it a 6/10.

PQ-was meh. I can't find what cameras were used, but the IMDB say's 6k/8k source. They definitely put some film grain in. It is not 6k/8k crispy at all. To me it looked like blu ray quality.
What?

"Day Shift" was shot with the RED Komodo 8K digital camera.

I think PQ is awesome - I saw it in 1080p, but it looked like HDR because the PQ was extremely colorful.

And I think all the scenes are smooth like usual with most new digital cameras. I did not remember seeing any kind of GRAIN, which I despise. I hate grain, which is the main reason I hate most movies that are not shot using the DIGITAL cameras. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just watched Nope on IMAX at the VUE in the light in Leeds for really cheap. It was really impressive and it's the first film I've been to watch in IMAX. Is it Dolby Atmos they use in the IMAX cinema rooms?
"Nope" was shot with the Arri Alexa 65 6.5K-resolution digital camera. That's why it looks so darn good, like practically all movies shot using these newer DIGITAL cameras.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
What?

"Day Shift" was shot with the RED Komodo 8K digital camera.

I think PQ is awesome - I saw it in 1080p, but it looked like HDR because the PQ was extremely colorful.

And I think all the scenes are smooth like usual with most new digital cameras. I did not remember seeing any kind of GRAIN, which I despise. I hate grain, which is the main reason I hate most movies that are not shot using the DIGITAL cameras. :D
yeah, I thought the picture was awful. Did not look good at all. Grain was everywhere. Very first thing I saw when the movie started. That's why I'm shocked to see them using high end cameras but putting out a mediocre picture.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
yeah, I thought the picture was awful. Did not look good at all. Grain was everywhere. Very first thing I saw when the movie started. That's why I'm shocked to see them using high end cameras but putting out a mediocre picture.
Ok, something had to be WRONG. Very wrong.

Was it Netflix? Maybe something went wrong with the streaming or whatever. But for me, it looks 100% AWESOME. I mean it looks better than most movies I've seen. And you know how I am with movies shot with 4K Digital Cameras vs Analog.

This was the reason I started this thread! :D

I hate it when they shoot movies using analog films because of the GRAIN.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Ok, something had to be WRONG. Very wrong.

Was it Netflix? Maybe something went wrong with the streaming or whatever. But for me, it looks 100% AWESOME. I mean it looks better than most movies I've seen. And you know how I am with movies shot with 4K Digital Cameras vs Analog.

This was the reason I started this thread! :D

I hate it when they shoot movies using analog films because of the GRAIN.
Check out this link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/wowl4b
the quick video in this link shows the grain.

I will say it got better as the movie went on. And some scenes looked better than others, but in the bright day time scenes at the beginning I could totally see grain. I can probably take some pictures this weekend and show you.

I put a brand new bulb (JVC bulb) into the projector recently. So I'm getting 100% on all levels.

Shoot, I'm finally watching my Back to the Future 4k set and those look better than this Day shift movie! :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Check out this link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/wowl4b
the quick video in this link shows the grain.

I will say it got better as the movie went on. And some scenes looked better than others, but in the bright day time scenes at the beginning I could totally see grain. I can probably take some pictures this weekend and show you.

I put a brand new bulb (JVC bulb) into the projector recently. So I'm getting 100% on all levels.

Shoot, I'm finally watching my Back to the Future 4k set and those look better than this Day shift movie! :p
WEIRD!!!!

Of course, I have the downloaded version, not the streaming version. :D

But I'm telling you, it looks 100% AWESOME!!!!! :D

Somebody needs to tell Netflix something is screwed up with that streaming.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Nope" was shot with the Arri Alexa 65 6.5K-resolution digital camera. That's why it looks so darn good, like practically all movies shot using these newer DIGITAL cameras.
We saw NOPE over the weekend. I am a fan of Peele, but while this one was a bit more subtle and a different vein for him, I really liked it. I tried to not listen to reviews or info on it, oddly none of my friends went to see it, so I was pretty surprised at the reveal. Crazy concept and it delivered. He really has developed a great style of storytelling that almost feels relatable but totally unnerving at the same time. Most likely watch this one again when it is streaming.

We are going to Universal for Hollywood Horror nights and the terror tram is going to be a Nope + Us mashup, which sounds insane. The previous Us attraction was pretty good.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw the new LOTR TV series episodes 1-2 in 4K ATMOS, which was shot using 4K digital cameras (Arri Alexa).

PQ: among the absolute best picture quality I’ve seen. If only the LOTR trilogy movies look half as good.

SQ: Solid ATMOS overhead effects.

Story after 2 episodes: My wife was glued to her seat! She didn’t fall asleep like she did with the LOTR and Hobbit movies. :D

So far I like this series better than the LOTR and Hobbit movies. :D

I find this series a lot more exciting than the LOTR/Hobbit movies.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw the new LOTR TV series episodes 1-2 in 4K ATMOS, which was shot using 4K digital cameras (Arri Alexa).

PQ: among the absolute best picture quality I’ve seen. If only the LOTR trilogy movies look half as good.

SQ: Solid ATMOS overhead effects.

Story after 2 episodes: My wife was glued to her seat! She didn’t fall asleep like she did with the LOTR and Hobbit movies. :D

So far I like this series better than the LOTR and Hobbit movies. :D

I find this series a lot more exciting than the LOTR/Hobbit movies.
Hahahaha!

PQ: Great for a streaming show. Some of the best I've seen for on a streaming platform. Especially Amazon.

Now with regards to the LOTR's movies, you can't compare them. One was shot on film vs these that were shot with digital cameras. You could compare them more with the Hobbit movies since Jackson did use digital with those.

SQ: Again, for a streaming show the Atmos was pretty good. Well above avg.

If this show ever comes to physical disc, it will be top notch.

Hahaha! now that's pretty harsh to try and compare a TV series to a MASSIVE movie trilogy. You have almost 9 hours in 3 movies compared to this show that will have 8 hours spread out over 8 episodes released every Friday or Thursday night. I'd hope your wife can watch something for an hour! :p

3+ hour movies are not for everyone. But after two episodes, the show is pretty good. I would never ever put it in the same category as the LOTR trilogy. Not even in the same stratosphere. LOTR is a 10/10 trilogy.

Keep in mind the original LOTR trilogy was made on a $90million per movie budget. Back in the day that was a ton of money. Now this show has a $60million per episode budget. Peter Jackson didn't use much CGI back in the day vs this show that is using a ton. You can clearly see they are spending every cent of that $60 million per episode budget. I would hope so.

House of the Dragons has a $6million per episode budget. Now compare those two! haha! :p

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hahaha! now that's pretty harsh to try and compare a TV series to a MASSIVE movie trilogy. You have almost 9 hours in 3 movies compared to this show that will have 8 hours spread out over 8 episodes released every Friday or Thursday night. I'd hope your wife can watch something for an hour! :p

3+ hour movies are not for everyone. But after two episodes, the show is pretty good. I would never ever put it in the same category as the LOTR trilogy. Not even in the same stratosphere. LOTR is a 10/10 trilogy.
Watching at home that is not a problem at all as I can always hit “pause” whenever I want to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahahaha!

PQ: Great for a streaming show. Some of the best I've seen for on a streaming platform. Especially Amazon.

Now with regards to the LOTR's movies, you can't compare them. One was shot on film vs these that were shot with digital cameras. You could compare them more with the Hobbit movies since Jackson did use digital with those.

SQ: Again, for a streaming show the Atmos was pretty good. Well above avg.

If this show ever comes to physical disc, it will be top notch.

Keep in mind the original LOTR trilogy was made on a $90million per movie budget. Back in the day that was a ton of money. Now this show has a $60million per episode budget. Peter Jackson didn't use much CGI back in the day vs this show that is using a ton. You can clearly see they are spending every cent of that $60 million per episode budget. I would hope so.

House of the Dragons has a $6million per episode budget. Now compare those two! haha! :p
House of the Dragon doesn't look as awesome as Rings of Power, but Dragon looks 100% better than LOTR movies thanks to these digital cameras.

Amazing what technology can do. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis