William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My speakers are higher on the wall than I’d like. I’d like to lower them but my in wall wire isn’t long enough. I currently have a wall plate like you showed me on that picture. But if I move the wall plate down the wall 3 feet from where they are the in wall wire won’t reach.
Well you can just make an extension. Believe it or not, wire nuts are pretty effective lol. I would probably use butt connectors myself, but either would work.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
You can run your in wall wire to a switch box near the back where your speaker wire ends like this, then run another set of wires from the switch box to your speakers. You can mount the switch box right on the wall with alien tape or just a screw:

I’m having a hard time picturing this

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You can run your in wall wire to a switch box near the back where your speaker wire ends like this, then run another set of wires from the switch box to your speakers. You can mount the switch box right on the wall with alien tape or just a screw:

A switch box? Why is this applicable here?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I’m having a hard time picturing this
1) disconnect the wires from your current surround speakers
2) move the speakers to your preferred location (that the wires won't reach)
3) connect the now disconnected wires to the "inputs" of the switch box.
4) connect another set of longer wires that will reach the new speaker location to the "outputs" on the switch box
5) attach the wire from the "outputs" of the switch box to your speakers at your new location.
6) set the switch box to match the output and you are set

You will have an extra set of outputs you won't need. The switch box is easier than installing new wires and better than trying to splice wires together.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well you can just make an extension. Believe it or not, wire nuts are pretty effective lol. I would probably use butt connectors myself, but either would work.
Crimp butt connectors with heat shrink insulation...
Agree.

You could always change out the wall panel with an in-wall terminal, ya?

Then all you dois tuck excess in-wall wiring back into the wall; make your own wall to speaker patches at the appropriate length.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The switch box is easier than installing new wires and better than trying to splice wires together.
I disagree with that. Butt connectors are super easy to install and utilize, plus there will not be a switchbox at each speaker location just hanging out.
OP hasn't shared how much distance there is to make up, but this is a very clumsy way to do it.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I disagree with that. Butt connectors are super easy to install and utilize, plus there will not be a switchbox at each speaker location just hanging out.
OP hasn't shared how much distance there is to make up, but this is a very clumsy way to do it.
I’d like to bring it 2 to 3 ft down the wall. Can a wire nut be in wall without a junction box?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can a wire nut be in wall without a junction box?
I'm not an electrician, but I would say no, if you want to keep things to code.

*Best way is to redo the wall plate at site.
(This is easy if cable is running from below, but if cable is running from above, you have your extension problem.)
Downside is that you will need to cut into the wall and install new boxes.

*Do it external and keep the wall plate where it is and come up with a creative solution to hide the wiring such as a cable racetrack or piece of trim. (Can paint a piece of trim to match the wall, maybe not ideal, but an easy solution.)

*Just leave cabling exposed.
(Definitely not the prettiest solution.)

*Don't move the speaker location but just make certain your mount has the range of motion to aim at your LP.
(Any good mount should give you left to right pivot as well as 15-20º downward tilt.)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d like to bring it 2 to 3 ft down the wall. Can a wire nut be in wall without a junction box?
I would say so since it’s low voltage, but they’re cheap so I’d ask I guess.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
1) disconnect the wires from your current surround speakers
2) move the speakers to your preferred location (that the wires won't reach)
3) connect the now disconnected wires to the "inputs" of the switch box.
4) connect another set of longer wires that will reach the new speaker location to the "outputs" on the switch box
5) attach the wire from the "outputs" of the switch box to your speakers at your new location.
6) set the switch box to match the output and you are set

You will have an extra set of outputs you won't need. The switch box is easier than installing new wires and better than trying to splice wires together.
This is in no way easier than simple extensions.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Crimp butt connectors with heat shrink insulation...
Agree.

You could always change out the wall panel with an in-wall terminal, ya?

Then all you dois tuck excess in-wall wiring back into the wall; make your own wall to speaker patches at the appropriate length.
Yep. I’d use butt connectors too. Heat shrink would be a little “extra” but finish for a nice installation. Then just wire the wall plate like normal! Can’t imagine why a switcher makes more sense.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
The wires come from above from the rafters when the house was built. I’m going to try to use butt connectors amd run it down through the wall a couple feet.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The wires come from above from the rafters when the house was built. I’m going to try to use butt connectors amd run it down through the wall a couple feet.
Should be easy. Let us know how it go. Pics are fun!

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I will update w pics. Prob won’t get to it until next week. Thanks for all the help. Wife doesn’t know yet I’m switching out the surrounds and moving them

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I will update w pics. Prob won’t get to it until next week. Thanks for all the help. Wife doesn’t know yet I’m switching out the surrounds and moving them
I see. The ol’ “wait til she’s out” trick. Lol.
Not saying you’re doing that, but I sure do. Sometimes she notices…sometimes not!

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I see. The ol’ “wait til she’s out” trick. Lol.
Not saying you’re doing that, but I sure do. Sometimes she notices…sometimes not!
Exactly!! lol I told her I was making some changes and she said “let’s get a new Tv”!!!

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Here are some before photos. I may be limited how far down I can move them. I have that shelf that I don’t think my wife would be happy about me moving. The pictures on the left at no problem to move. So I’ll either move the new surrounds down a foot or I can place the surround just under the shelf. C05B71CB-DFEB-4787-8B11-8364C1BC737A.jpeg1EF89273-9C18-49EF-8436-BCDB0CDF9DBA.jpeg

G

GalZohar

Enthusiast
Thanks I just ordered the mounts! Got the B tech b77
I have those and while they work (at least for my prime bookshelf) and I couldn't find anything better, they are rather unstable and allow the speaker to wobble. You will either have to find a way to make the speaker shake less, live with the fact it might have some resonances at some frequencies at high volumes, or find a different mount.

But yes, as said, there is no built-in feature that helps you wall mount those speakers, and you will need a "generic" mount that can "grip" any speaker of that size.

As for the shelves, you can probably easily just remove them and place them somewhere else, not near the speaker... And can't you replace the wire?

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I did mount them tonight and very happy with them. They are very secure and don’t wobble. I just have to wire them up and take down old speakers.
replace all the wiring? Not really I don’t it would be quite the project to Re run all that wire over the rafters or under the finished garage. I don’t have access above that vaulted ceiling to get up there. Also can’t really move that shelf at the moment as my wife wants it there.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis