Any long term experience with Monoprice amps?

M

mck22mck

Audiophyte
Hi everyone. I'm putting together my first surround sound system (I've had stereo component systems for a long time). I had picked up an Outlaw 976 pre-pro shortly before they stopped selling them, but life got in the way before I could finish the system.
Now, I have been looking at the Monolith 200 watts per channel amplifiers since Audioholics gave them a great review when they first came out in 2016 and Gene spoke highly of them recently on the YouTube channel. However, I noticed that they are sold through Amazon (for inflated prices) where they had a high percentage of bad user reviews over their reliability and customer service.
I don't usually put much faith in Amazon customer reviews, but I'm feeling a little hesitant now since I have no desire to send back a 90 lb. amp for repairs or refund.
I'd appreciate any information/comments based on personal experience with Monoprice amplifiers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Pogre has had a good experience, generally I've seen mostly very good responses. They're made by ATI, a plus. I would buy one if it met my needs/budget.....just don't need one myself.

M

mck22mck

Audiophyte
@Pogre has had a good experience, generally I've seen mostly very good responses. They're made by ATI, a plus. I would buy one if it met my needs/budget.....just don't need one myself.
Thanks lovinthehd. I'll try to contact Pogre.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the ATI-made amps should be extremely reliable. If you do need repair, ATI will also repair them, not Monoprice or Outlaw, etc.

Mr Tape

Mr Tape

Enthusiast
As mentioned above, the big multi-channel Monolith amps are made by ATI, and ATI is all about reliability - they're built like battleships. I can't say what's going on with Amazon, but I did have a bad experience in purchasing an ultra-wide Monoprice computer monitor from Amazon. The monitor arrived with only half of the styrofoam packing material in place, and the monitor had a cracked screen. I returned it for a refund and proceeded to purchase another two directly from Monoprice - they arrived perfectly.

I think the moral, at least in my limited experience, is to purchase directly from Monoprice, NOT Amazon!

M

mck22mck

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone. This is very reassuring. Based on published reviews, the Monoprice amps fit all my important criteria, but long term reliability is not something a reviewer is, typically, in a position to judge. I'd appreciate reading about any experiences with their customer service, as well.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks everyone. This is very reassuring. Based on published reviews, the Monoprice amps fit all my important criteria, but long term reliability is not something a reviewer is, typically, in a position to judge. I'd appreciate reading about any experiences with their customer service, as well.
FYI, ATI amps have a 7YR warranty, while all the ATI-made amps (Outlaw, Monoprice, Cary Audio, etc.) should have a 5YR warranty.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
As mentioned above, the big multi-channel Monolith amps are made by ATI, and ATI is all about reliability - they're built like battleships. I can't say what's going on with Amazon, but I did have a bad experience in purchasing an ultra-wide Monoprice computer monitor from Amazon. The monitor arrived with only half of the styrofoam packing material in place, and the monitor had a cracked screen. I returned it for a refund and proceeded to purchase another two directly from Monoprice - they arrived perfectly.

I think the moral, at least in my limited experience, is to purchase directly from Monoprice, NOT Amazon!
You gotta point about that. I also read one dude purchased a Monolith's M-12VS sub and went to do a return and Amazon wouldn't take it back with in the 30 day free exchange. So yeah buy directly from Monoprice when possible.

On a side note: I returned a Hisense 65 U6G tv had a dirty screen issue which that brand is known for like a lottery you hit a good screen or you don't. Well I returned it 29 days into the 30 day free return. Ordered the same tv again, UPS picked up the tv, it made it back to a Amazon dock in Arizona. It took over 30 days for Amazon to give me a full refund. And that was only after I called into Amazon 3 times they kept telling me I had to wait 30 days then they would do an investigation into finding out what happened. I emailed screenshots the UPS shipping label and a screenshot of the TV being returned at the dock with time stamps and everything. It wasn't till I emailed Jeff@amazon.com which goes to his executive assistances. Got a email back with 24 hours from a executive assistant assured me she would get back to me within 5 to 7 days to find out what was going on. Well the 4th day she emailed me back said the TV package was scanned wrong into the system. She couldn't apologize enough refunded the money in my account that day plus gave me a $50 credit in my Amazon account. So yeah Amazon dropped the ball on that one. But made good in the end.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Note that ATI builds very high quality products, and they also have excellent tech support.
IMHO...
Far superior to any audio amplifier product built/sourced from off-shore.
Yes, certain key output stage modules are out-sourced but their end process for quality and reliability testing is superb....

Just my $0.02... ;)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have a Monolith 7x and an Outlaw 7500, both ATI built and I think they are great. I haven't tried anything higher end than these. So not sure if there is a difference.

Mr Tape

Mr Tape

Enthusiast
Note that ATI builds very high quality products, and they also have excellent tech support.
IMHO...
Far superior to any audio amplifier product built/sourced from off-shore.
Yes, certain key output stage modules are out-sourced but their end process for quality and reliability testing is superb....

Just my $0.02... ;)
With the exception of Hypex class D modules (which are built by Hypex), all other modules (class A/B etc) are built in-house. ;)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't say what's going on with Amazon, but I did have a bad experience in purchasing an ultra-wide Monoprice computer monitor from Amazon. The monitor arrived with only half of the styrofoam packing material in place, and the monitor had a cracked screen. I returned it for a refund and proceeded to purchase another two directly from Monoprice - they arrived perfectly.
Amazon sometimes ships out open-box/returns as new products. That has happened to us a couple times. Whether it's crossed wires from a company that ships and receives millions of packages a day, or a case of "let's see if they'll notice" is anybody's guess. At least they have the easiest return policy in the industry.

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
For what it's worth, have the monolith 9x and outlaw 7000x. Both made by ATI and have no problems what so ever. Been waiting on the monolith processor thou. Might be waiting in vain.

Mr Tape

Mr Tape

Enthusiast
The 7000x isn't made by ATI.
That is correct. Certain Monolith amplifiers are. The ATI amplifiers can be spotted by unique blue tubing placed over power transformer leads. The wiring on ATI amplifiers tends to be more tidy than the competition.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is correct. Certain Monolith amplifiers are. The ATI amplifiers can be spotted by unique blue tubing placed over power transformer leads. The wiring on ATI amplifiers tends to be more tidy than the competition.
You mean certain Outlaw amps are ATI made? Pretty sure all the Monoliths are ATI made....interesting about the wiring, tho that won't be too apparent in most photos :)

Mr Tape

Mr Tape

Enthusiast
You mean certain Outlaw amps are ATI made? Pretty sure all the Monoliths are ATI made....interesting about the wiring, tho that won't be too apparent in most photos :)
Not too many Outlaw amps are made by ATI these days. ATI makes many of the Monolith amps, but not all. The best way to determine this is as I mentioned previously, by the blue coverings on the power transformer secondaries before they plug into the modules.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis