Sub keeps shutting off periodically when sharp bass hits

T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
Hello,

Not sure if this has been posted as I have searched with no luck. I have a KlipschR-12SW connected to an Onkyo TX-NR646. While watching movies if a sharp hit comes such as a bomb explosion or anything that hits hard it shuts off for a couple seconds the comes back on. I have tried to research what to do but am finding nothing. Any advice much appreciated. Have never dealt with this before, also am very disappointed with this speaker currently as I have had harder hitting subs in the past during my youth, yet do not remember what brand they were. I would like to have that theatre experience I have had so many years ago where the entire house would tremble just due to that one speaker.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

Not sure if this has been posted as I have searched with no luck. I have a KlipschR-12SW connected to an Onkyo TX-NR646. While watching movies if a sharp hit comes such as a bomb explosion or anything that hits hard it shuts off for a couple seconds the comes back on. I have tried to research what to do but am finding nothing. Any advice much appreciated. Have never dealt with this before, also am very disappointed with this speaker currently as I have had harder hitting subs in the past during my youth, yet do not remember what brand they were. I would like to have that theatre experience I have had so many years ago where the entire house would tremble just due to that one speaker.
Obviously that sub is failing. Most likely it is the amp either getting too hot, or suffering DC offset on those peaks, sending it into protection. It could be the speaker driver, if it has been over driven and shorted some voice coil turns and dropped its impedance. You are not going to fix this either way.

T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
It has done this since day of purchase, it is the one sold at Costco. It sounds good most the time, except for when it cuts out for the couple seconds. I do not hear any issues with the speaker with any bass other than when watching a movie and a explosions sound happens ten it makes a pop sound and shuts off. I have tested this in other ways and forgot to add that this only happens when I have volume turned up over 40 on my receiver. Could there be some sort of setting or feature that is causing this on either my receiver or the build in amp on sub? I really have not tried to mess with it much as I was not sure what does what on it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It has done this since day of purchase, it is the one sold at Costco. It sounds good most the time, except for when it cuts out for the couple seconds. I do not hear any issues with the speaker with any bass other than when watching a movie and a explosions sound happens ten it makes a pop sound and shuts off. I have tested this in other ways and forgot to add that this only happens when I have volume turned up over 40 on my receiver. Could there be some sort of setting or feature that is causing this on either my receiver or the build in amp on sub? I really have not tried to mess with it much as I was not sure what does what on it.
You have a sub that is not very good in any event. So you are just playing it too loud, and the built in protection is cutting in, to stop you ruining the driver.

If you want to play it like that, then you need a much bigger, better sub.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Possibly sub is overloaded on those hard hits and shuts off, then comes back on.
Anything in the manual about settings?
Have you called the company?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Klipsch is not known for making good Subs. This is apparently changing, but I don't know where the model change is for the "better" ones.
How long have you had this? Has it been behaving like this since day 1?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Klipsch is not known for making good Subs. This is apparently changing, but I don't know where the model change is for the "better" ones.
The passive Klipsch subs that say “THX Ultra2 Certified“ for rooms larger than 3,000 Cubic-FT. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That would be annoying, I'd be shopping for a better sub in your shoes. I'd skip Klipsch on subs too....would look more at Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, Monolith etc. Not sure what your volume scale in use is or how calibrated, but 40 on the absolute scale on my avrs is generally not very loud....more a volume setting I use to power up on to avoid sudden loud sounds....altho I use the reference scale (and have them turn on at -40).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of course the Klipsch dealer would know... :p
Well, I knew this a long time ago when Home Theater Magazine did the review on the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system. Even their THX-650 Monitor had a +/-0.9dB FR. And we know Klipsch speakers usually don’t have that kind of FR. :D

The interesting question to me is, why is their ONLY passive sub THX Ultra2 certified, while all their powered subs are NOT THX?

Any ideas to this question, @Replicant 7 ? :D

Last edited:
T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
You have a sub that is not very good in any event. So you are just playing it too loud, and the built in protection is cutting in, to stop you ruining the driver.

If you want to play it like that, then you need a much bigger, better sub.
I have been thinking the same thing but was wanting confirmation first just in case there might have been something else I was not aware of. Very glad to have found this forum and site though as I have found the sub I previously had and enjoyed. Going to dealer in Los Angeles to see what they have to offer.

T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
Possibly sub is overloaded on those hard hits and shuts off, then comes back on.
Anything in the manual about settings?
Have you called the company?
Went through manual and been looking online but have found nothing since I am not sure what to search for regarding actual terms. I do search and come up with items that are not the same as I search for sub turns off during hard hits and that seems vague. I knew it might be an issue buying a system from Costco as they only supply decent items that are special designed for their discount standards.

T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
Had it for about a year. It is decent but not what I am looking for. I am going to shop for a new one as I have a better idea now after reading up on this site.

T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
That would be annoying, I'd be shopping for a better sub in your shoes. I'd skip Klipsch on subs too....would look more at Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, Monolith etc. Not sure what your volume scale in use is or how calibrated, but 40 on the absolute scale on my avrs is generally not very loud....more a volume setting I use to power up on to avoid sudden loud sounds....altho I use the reference scale (and have them turn on at -40).
I have found a brand that I previously owned in high school but did not remember the name till searching this site reviews. What do you think of Martin Logan? I had their sub and it was downward facing but hit like a champ and made movie experiences very pleasing and theatre feel. I am also in dire need for tower speakers as I have Jamo satellites that are needing an upgrade.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Went through manual and been looking online but have found nothing since I am not sure what to search for regarding actual terms. I do search and come up with items that are not the same as I search for sub turns off during hard hits and that seems vague. I knew it might be an issue buying a system from Costco as they only supply decent items that are special designed for their discount standards.
While you are looking for a more powerful sub, just for knowledge's sake call the company and ask if the sub has a protection circuit to shut down briefly on high input signals.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ThaMadGreek
When you asked above about Martin Logan, were you talking Speakers or Subs?

Here's the thing, very few companies specializing in Speakers build good Subs. They are, in a manner, an afterthought or an add on sale so you can have all matching gear.

The usual Subs which get recommended are Hsu, SVS, Monolith, and Rythmik. PSA also gets recommended a lot. The biggest thing you need to be prepared to answer is what do you need for your system and your goals/values.

Budget? Music vs HT listening? How loud? How low do you want to feel? How much space do you have?

All of these matter.

We will always tell you to buy the best single Sub you can allow yourself to afford. Cutting corners in this area usually results in dissatisfaction down the line. Unfortunately, if you are a Bass Head like many of us, you will find that Subs can get expensive. But it is worth it in many ways. ;)

From a best-bang-for-the-buck perspective, Hsu tends to be the value leader.
SVS may well have the best customer service and brand loyalty, but they tend to be more expensive.
Monolith Subs are very strong performers.

It sounds like you have your eyes set on some other upgrades, too. You should really take a moment to look at what you may want to do overall, where you want to take your rig in terms of building it out.
Make a plan.
You can always adjust the plan, but these things can get expensive and if you are going to spend the money, it's preferable to get it right when you buy and know you've got something that can last you 10+ years.

Happy hunting!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have found a brand that I previously owned in high school but did not remember the name till searching this site reviews. What do you think of Martin Logan? I had their sub and it was downward facing but hit like a champ and made movie experiences very pleasing and theatre feel. I am also in dire need for tower speakers as I have Jamo satellites that are needing an upgrade.
I suppose some of their subs are okay, but they tend to be expensive for what they are but at a good discount perhaps ok. I'd still stick to sub specialsts or simply build your own.

You can check out reviews of some here

T

ThaMadGreek

Audiophyte
@ryanosaur Thank you for all the details to work on.

Now I have so many questions and maybe you guys can give a little input. Yes I love bass! I am looking for something that will give me a wide range to work with, but definitely I loke the lows. I am really not sure of the terminology but can remember that when Jurassic Park came out we would watch the T-rex scene repeatedly to show off the system we had set up. This was in around 1994 so many years ago. I just remember the stomping making the ground shake as if he was coming into the room and his scream would shake the house as if he was out the window. The sounds was balanced as well between our speakers and the sub so nothing really overpowered over each other that I could remember. I do not remember the speakers we had except for the sub as I got it from a friend for $50 as he wanted me to have a quality speaker added.

So now I am looking to get back into a cinematic experience in my new home yet have no idea where to go and even sample the speaker quality except for Best Buy, and when I go there is no one to sample the speakers for us. So hard to decide without hearing it.

The room I am working on is 18' x 12'. Budget have not decided yet as I am one who needs to experience what I am going to buy. That is why I test drive cars before I buy them.... So any assistance with ideas going from a budget starter system that can be upgraded, or even a final set up that will last me and fulfill my needs. Sill my receiver work or do I need to replace it? I am already committed to replacing speakers and am thinking of getting out of satellite speakers and getting floor standing towers instead, unless there are satellites that might make me think twice.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Also if you know of a shop to check out in the Los Angeles area, please let me know so I can go and see what is out there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis