Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have lost money in both my retirement accounts since January 2 of this year.

Bear or Bull, this is a bunch of bull. Stop with all these loses.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Normally bonds are good safety net. Not this time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Don't look at it. Ride it out if you can and it always comes back. You only lose if you need to take it out because that is only on paper (screen) until you make it real.

to fix the market, need to get rid of all the left wing democrats
Funny how the largest bull markets came under Democrats then. CNBC and a Forbes article said neither is actually better for the market, but the best combo was Democratic President with a split or Republican congress.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again drumphy had no real plan except hoping covid wouldn't get in the way, which was loony.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
to fix the market, need to get rid of all the left wing democrats
I have no love for the present democrats, but fail to see what politicians have to do with it; downturns happen regardless of what party is in power. In fact, the last two downturns (2008, 2020) which had deeper drawdowns happened under republican presidents, but I hardly blame them for it as the market could care less and does what it wants.

For passive investors holding retirement accounts or investing in lazy portfolios like the 60/40, Bogleheads, Golden Butterfly etc., downturns are normal. For active investors, there's some good two-sided action right now and with volatility climbing higher, selling premium isn't all too bad.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

OK, but what did it do over the last 10 years? You're looking at the short term and that leads to neurosis. That's the reason I hate dealing with it.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Without supply and workers, how can you have a functional economy?
Supply is intermittent and improving as manufacturers shift to more reliable places to produce from. Right now it is a workers economy unlike the last 40 years. What is needed are low skilled workers (migrants) to fill those jobs that Americans won't do.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Someone confuses the Stock market and the economy. they aren't the same thing, related yes - very much so, but not the same. Just because the previously feds artificially kept the stock market high but an unprecedented investment of taxpayers' money directly by buying market, doesn't mean everything was rosy underneath.
Covid, War in Ukraine - these both are huge factors affecting GLOBAL economies across the world.

Saudi's got greedy after stopping Russian oil exports - raising the prices of oil globally. This has absolutely nothing to do with anyone in the US gov.

After I set to ignore the obvious trolls, going back to OP - yes, we are very much in a bear market, I'd even going to call it - we are in recession already. My estimate is things will start to get better after the war in Ukraine stops, but I can't even begin to guess how soon it would be. (btw: Go Ukraine!)

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
There are warnings and have to watch Bloomberg TV and or Fox Business every day or not. And read financials every day. Then there is your decision to move your 401K from moderate investment to Money Market or on hold, for example. You can make changes to your 401k's at any time. Got to watch the market and read and make adjustments, b/4 you lose too much and then jump back in, when you feel things are right.

I predict the stock market will get worse by Nov and not any better in 2023. Keep watching the stock market and read to form your judgement on investment. Maybe the 401K that you chose, is not that aggressive too. Ride it out?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Rebalance your portfolio as needed following your plan and otherwise ignore the market, unless you really can’t afford to loose. Invest as usual.

As for mutual funds fees: performance comes and goes but expenses are forever.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Trell - Investing in individual stocks has inherently more risk and index funds expenses are very low.
I bought Novavax stock at around $100, figuring it would cheap price. how wrong I was

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
@Trell - Investing in individual stocks has inherently more risk and index funds expenses are very low.
I bought Novavax stock at around $100, figuring it would cheap price. how wrong I was
I know that it’s much riskier to trade with individual stocks but the risk is not necessarily compensated with a higher return. Quite simply uncompensated risk? Can be fun, though.

Personally I only own low cost broad international index funds, except the bond funds that are Swedish bonds only as I live in Sweden that has a small domestic bond market.

For my stock funds I see that an international dip in stock market corresponds pretty well inversely to the Swedish Krona.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Right now it is a workers economy unlike the last 40 years.
and that is but one key component to inflation, along the Fed sitting on it's butt for 9 plus months and not doing anything with interest rates have with the other points mentioned gotten us to this point.

Of note is my old industry (railroading) which has historically been a leading indicator both into and out of previous recessions. Last year overall carloadings were down and I suspect there was 'fog in the air' due to COVID as well.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Living in Silicon Valley, we see the direct impact. EVERY tech company has frozen hiring and many are laying people off. I even heard of companies rescinding job offers after people accepted positions.

I do think this bear market will continue into next year, and for sure the war is one of the big impacts. We may avoid a full recession, but things will not snap back quickly with oil this high and supply chain issues not fully easing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis