Texas Republicans Untethered From Actual Fact and Reality

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
One of the reasons the Texas GOP called the election "illegitimate" is because they watched this:
I will admit this conversation will read more easily if you have seen the film. But it can be summarized fairly succinctly: D’Souza admits his movie does not show evidence to prove his claims about ballots being collected and submitted.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Isn't that the criminal that got a pardon from Trump?
I had to laugh, that's why they get pardoned, they are criminals, just hit my funny bone.

I want to be Pardoned from being GOOD for a while, so I can be BAD. Is it retroactive the pardon thing?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I had to laugh, that's why they get pardoned, they are criminals, just hit my funny bone.

I want to be Pardoned from being GOOD for a while, so I can be BAD. Is it retroactive the pardon thing?
The reasons why they are pardoned is important and Trump used that for corrupt purposes never seen before.

You have numerous Republicans wanting a pardon for their roles in the failed coup and only some got it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The reasons why they are pardoned is important and Trump used that for corrupt purposes never seen before.

You have numerous Republicans wanting a pardon for their roles in the failed coup and only some got it.
You know one of his current campaign promises is a pardon for all involved with his attempted perversion Jan 6?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The founders of the US warned about the perils of majority rule, but we're actually seeing the exact opposite so I'd be less surprised if liberal states come together and leave the union.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The founders of the US warned about the perils of majority rule, but we're actually seeing the exact opposite so I'd be less surprised if liberal states come together and leave the union.
California is just about the only state that could survive in a non-union economic perspective as we rank among the top 10 world economies. (We also grow a great deal of the nation's food... however would suffer as out water comes largely from elsewhere in the Union... just an example of why this wouldn't work out so well... for anybody.) That said, it would still be illegal for any state to attempt secession, barring activist judiciary action like we see again today from the far-right conservative court possibly overturning the precedent that would bar states from seceding in the first place..

The biggest fault of politics today is that we have allowed a rulership class to exist. The founders never intended for this. It was expected that people would serve for a term or two, then return to their private lives. Like many aspects of the modern world, there are simply things that the founders did not envision. Sadly, those are the loopholes that are being taken advantage of in many instances. Term limits for government officials is a primary example, and one that should honestly extend to the judiciary as well.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It’s more about a democratic representation than liberal per se. The US constitution is too hard to change with 2% of the population able to block any amendments, as I recall an article about it. Your antiquated Senate power is another (other countries in the world have abolished their Senate or strongly curtailed its power) along with the unchecked power of your Supreme Court.

So yes, USA has a number of structural problems that are very hard to solve. The recent failed coup is one example. Another is the perceived political partisanship of judges, be it real or not, but news articles commonly notes which political party nominated them. The current conservative majority of the Supreme Court reads tea leaves and talks to ghosts in order to form their rulings.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
California is just about the only state that could survive in a non-union economic perspective as we rank among the top 10 world economies. (We also grow a great deal of the nation's food... however would suffer as out water comes largely from elsewhere in the Union... just an example of why this wouldn't work out so well... for anybody.) That said, it would still be illegal for any state to attempt secession, barring activist judiciary action like we see again today from the far-right conservative court possibly overturning the precedent that would bar states from seceding in the first place..

The biggest fault of politics today is that we have allowed a rulership class to exist. The founders never intended for this. It was expected that people would serve for a term or two, then return to their private lives. Like many aspects of the modern world, there are simply things that the founders did not envision. Sadly, those are the loopholes that are being taken advantage of in many instances. Term limits for government officials is a primary example, and one that should honestly extend to the judiciary as well.
It would be a calamity for any US state to leave the union. You are quite simply way to integrated economically, politically, legally and otherwise for this to be feasible.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It would be a calamity for any US state to leave the union. You are quite simply way to integrated economically, politically, legally and otherwise for this to be feasible.
True, but the US has really always been 50 countries that pretend to be one. The feds are basically the EU, but has existed MUCH longer so the presence of the feds in every state is high. The fed backed infrastructure is also very deep so the absence of that would be felt very deeply in any state that is dumb enough to actually leave, but they can't legally.

It's just stupid to try to leave at this point. They can just argue that states rights are bla bla bla and do what they want, which seems to be exactly what TX is trying to do.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
True, but the US has really always been 50 countries that pretend to be one. The feds are basically the EU, but has existed MUCH longer so the presence of the feds in every state is high. The fed backed infrastructure is also very deep so the absence of that would be felt very deeply in any state that is dumb enough to actually leave, but they can't legally.

It's just stupid to try to leave at this point. They can just argue that states rights are bla bla bla and do what they want, which seems to be exactly what TX is trying to do.
It’s important to note that the European Union is not a federation but an association of sovereign states, unlike USA. This is also a major reason why the EURO zone does not work well as there is no transfer mechanism between the states that are bound to the Euro in times of crisis. Think what would happen if Florida got serious economic problems and SS had to be cut by 50% along with every other federal transfers.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I agree there should be term limits and number of offices held. Stacking appointed and elected positions have both become avenues of huge payouts for life and a way to make the farm boy politicians filthy rich. Then to move on to line the halls with deals they now represent from the Russian Oligarchs or Billionaire Chinese Nationalist.

Term limits and lobbyist are my biggest concerns. Judges with life appointments is a pure nightmare. 10 year max, but the longest appointment as far a one single term. One is enough for a judge.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I agree there should be term limits and number of offices held. Stacking appointed and elected positions have both become avenues of huge payouts for life and a way to make the farm boy politicians filthy rich. Then to move on to line the halls with deals they now represent from the Russian Oligarchs or Billionaire Chinese Nationalist.

Term limits and lobbyist are my biggest concerns. Judges with life appointments is a pure nightmare. 10 year max, but the longest appointment as far a one single term. One is enough for a judge.
Unless you change the way you elect officials term limits means just the more of the same. It's way too hard to dislodge an incumbent in either a primary or an election, and the system encourages extreme candidates that is catering to their own fringe base. Some states have introduced reforms to combat this, like ranked choice.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I know I'm just blowing steam. I'll be long gone before any real change happens. It usually takes something pretty extraordinary to turn things on their head. I can't see that big of a change in our future. It's VERY gradual at this point. In this political climate it has to get a little hotter, we're not there yet.. Close though..

I watch Israel and India. Turkey and India Are BIG players. Israel is a trigger, have to be careful there. FOOD will be an issue over the next 10 years. The place to grow crops are under siege by war or the lack of WATER. Look at Bakersfield CA 1/3 of the land lost is lost to selenium. That's a lot of cotton and melons GONE forever.

I'm glad I'm retired, I think.:)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
How?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The composition of the US Senate comes to mind, and any changes to your constitution can be blocked with as little as 2% of the population (according to an article I read).
I was trying to figure out not only who the minority is but applied to what topic? TX and secession?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis