4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@Movie2099 brought to my attention the new Roland Emmerich (Stargate, Independence Day 1 & 2, Godzilla, Day After Tomorrow, The Patriot, 2012, White House Down, Midway) SciFi apocalyptic thriller “Moonfall” because it is supposed to be reference quality in terms of both video and audio.

So I did check it out last night.

Video: Superb Reference PQ. Moonfall was shot using the 8K-resolution Red Monstro digital camera.

Audio: The Atmos overhead, Surround sound and bass levels are superb Reference quality. This might be the BEST SOUNDING movie I have EVER seen.

Story: It’s formulaic where the antagonists and their families win and live happily ever after, which I never have a problem with. :D At least the concept of the MEGASTRUCTURE MOON is new to me as I have never heard of it. The physics topic of GRAVITATIONAL FORCE is always interesting to me.

I love the ending of the movie. I also love some repeating phrases that appear at the beginning and then at the end (Better to ask for forgiveness, I’m gonna get you home).

Conclusion: Will probably win the Oscars for best visual/sound effects, but nothing else. I think “Moonfall” is very entertaining. I will likely be rewatching this movie plenty of time. :D There are some plot holes and some unnecessary annoying scenes, but I can forgive them. If for no other reasons, you will want to watch because the Video/audio are reference quality and could be the best you’ve ever seen/heard.

This is the movie to SHOW OFF your awesome 4K Laser PJ and OLED TV and ATMOS sound system!

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the new Uncharted movie last weekend. Movie was shot on 3.4k cameras (I believe). Only thing I could find about it. They did shoot IMAX scenes, but those scenes are not included on the 4k release. This movie does come with Dolby Atmos. I give the movie a 7/10.

I've only played half of the first game, but know enough about the series. The movie is nothing special. You can pretty much tell what's going to happen throughout the entire movie. The movie moves very fast. No character builds at all. They just go with it and move on.

SQ is meh. Nothing about the sound in this movie is "demo" worthy. Not even close. There were some rumbles here and there. Some overhead sounds once in a while.

PQ is alright. I wouldn't put this in the "demo" category either. I'd say it was a decent 4k transfer.

All in all, if you're you looking for a "turn your brain off" popcorn flick this will definitely do the trick. If you're a fan of the games you'll probably enjoy this movie a little bit more than non-fans.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the new Uncharted movie last weekend. Movie was shot on 3.4k cameras (I believe). Only thing I could find about it. They did shoot IMAX scenes, but those scenes are not included on the 4k release. This movie does come with Dolby Atmos. I give the movie a 7/10.

I've only played half of the first game, but know enough about the series. The movie is nothing special. You can pretty much tell what's going to happen throughout the entire movie. The movie moves very fast. No character builds at all. They just go with it and move on.

SQ is meh. Nothing about the sound in this movie is "demo" worthy. Not even close. There were some rumbles here and there. Some overhead sounds once in a while.

PQ is alright. I wouldn't put this in the "demo" category either. I'd say it was a decent 4k transfer.

All in all, if you're you looking for a "turn your brain off" popcorn flick this will definitely do the trick. If you're a fan of the games you'll probably enjoy this movie a little bit more than non-fans.
I saw about 10 minutes of the movie and discontinued watching. Just not my type of movies. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw about 10 minutes of the movie and discontinued watching. Just not my type of movies. :D
Understandable. I think the only reason people are getting through Moonfall is because of the PQ and SQ! hahaha :p

I think the studio that made Moonfall was like "well the movie blows, so lets kick ass with sound and picture so it sells on physical/digital!" haha

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Understandable. I think the only reason people are getting through Moonfall is because of the PQ and SQ! hahaha :p

I think the studio that made Moonfall was like "well the movie blows, so lets kick ass with sound and picture so it sells on physical/digital!" haha
Well, "Moonfall" is exactly my type of movies - Apocalyptic end-of-days Sci-Fi Action movies. :D

I think the next 3 movies I'm watching are Morbius (6.5K Arri Alexa 65), Doctor Strange 2 (8K Panavision DXL2) and Jurassic World Dominion (8K Panavision DXL2).

People have absolutely no excuses to shoot the new movies in anything less than 4K digital cameras. :D

I noticed "The Northman" was shot in 35mm Analog and then transferred to 4K Digital. Why not just shoot the movie in 4K Digital to begin with? Jeez. :D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I watched it and found it entertaining. Quality? No. Popcorn flick? Yes. I've played all the games and as a fan of them, I would have to say most fans of the games might hate this movie and that's a big part of why it did so poorly. It took a few bits and pieces from the games, but more or less the only resemblance to the games are the characters and very loosely some of the plot. It starts out like the games, but after just once scene, it goes off on its own. The story in the games is so much better. The one bighest Easter egg was the best one I think: The voice actor for Nathan Drake in the games has a fun cameo in the film.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Amazing Spider-Man 4K 2012.

PQ: Fantastic PQ. Movie was shot using Red Epic 5K Digital Cameras.
SQ: Reference quality ATMOS sound.
Movie/Plot: kind of sucks IMO. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Man show shot Liberty Valance 4k 1962.

PQ: Superb PQ. The picture was very clean. It is presented in black and white. I've never seen it on vhs, dvd or blu ray. I'm going to assume this 4k blows those versions out of the water.
SQ: They've added a 5.1 mix and have the original mono if you so choose. I watched it with the 5.1 and loved it. Dialogue was always easy to hear. When guns were going off they were actually very good sounding.

I have always heard of this movie, but never watched it. I loved it. A great western with an amazing cast. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and Lee Marvin. With excellent supporting cast. I give this movie a solid 9/10 rating!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Ok so this isn't a 4k but watched the Blu Ray of Pearl Harbor last night. It's been a super long time since I've seen it. Was shot on film and has a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound mix. Take out all the BS love story and just have the invasion and Doolittle Raid those parts are not bad at all. I have to say that if this movie received the 4k treatment and they actually put effort into the Atmos mix and increased bass, the battle scenes would be DEMO worthy. I was extremely impressed with the 5.1 showing. The gun fire from the planes, the explosions would sound amazing with an upmix/remix. I think a 4k transfer could clean some things up picture wise, but I wouldn't expect demo worthy picture at all. I would purchase a 4k version of this film for the sound mix alone. Assuming they did it right.

8/10 for battle scenes- 5/10 the rest. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok so this isn't a 4k but watched the Blu Ray of Pearl Harbor last night. It's been a super long time since I've seen it. Was shot on film and has a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound mix. Take out all the BS love story and just have the invasion and Doolittle Raid those parts are not bad at all. I have to say that if this movie received the 4k treatment and they actually put effort into the Atmos mix and increased bass, the battle scenes would be DEMO worthy. I was extremely impressed with the 5.1 showing. The gun fire from the planes, the explosions would sound amazing with an upmix/remix. I think a 4k transfer could clean some things up picture wise, but I wouldn't expect demo worthy picture at all. I would purchase a 4k version of this film for the sound mix alone. Assuming they did it right.

8/10 for battle scenes- 5/10 the rest. :D
2010 was the FIRST year they started shooting movies (like TRON Legacy and Avatar) using Digital Cameras.

So all movies prior to 2010 were shot using Analog films (35mm, 65mm).

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I’m calling it now. AcuDef is going to LOVE the movie Ambulance!!!:p

shot in 6k-8k and had a Demo worthy sound mix. Can’t wait!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m calling it now. AcuDef is going to LOVE the movie Ambulance!!!:p

shot in 6k-8k and had a Demo worthy sound mix. Can’t wait!!
You're that confident after the stunt you just pulled on The Northman? :mad: :D

Well, I will watch Ambulance in 4K ATMOS.

You can't be so wrong 2 in a row! :D

Yep, I see that it was shot using the Red Komodo (6K) and Red Weapon Helium (8K) digital cameras so at least the PQ will be awesome.

I am still waiting for the 1st movie to be Mastered in 8K Digital since all these movies are mastered in 4K. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You're that confident after the stunt you just pulled on The Northman? :mad: :D

Well, I will watch Ambulance in 4K ATMOS.

You can't be so wrong 2 in a row! :D

Yep, I see that it was shot using the Red Komodo (6K) and Red Weapon Helium (8K) digital cameras so at least the PQ will be awesome.

I am still waiting for the 1st movie to be Mastered in 8K Digital since all these movies are mastered in 4K. :D
Hahaha!! I’m feeling very confident with Ambulance.
Though if The Northman was shot in 8k you would be in love with it! Haha :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha!! I’m feeling very confident with Ambulance.
Though if The Northman was shot in 8k you would be in love with it! Haha :p
I never like tragic endings - not even if the movie were shot in 16K. :D

I hated Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Promising Young Women, No Time to Die, etc.

I made exceptions for Gladiator, Braveheart, Matrix, Titanic, and few others. :D

Will probably watch "Ambulance" tonight in 4K/ATMOS.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I never like tragic endings - not even if the movie were shot in 16K. :D

I hated Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Promising Young Women, No Time to Die, etc.

I made exceptions for Gladiator, Braveheart, Matrix, Titanic, and few others. :D

Will probably watch "Ambulance" tonight in 4K/ATMOS.
Never saw Hamlet. Love Romeo and Juliet (old and 90's Leo version), and No time to Die is kick ass!!

Gladiator, Braveheart and the Matrix are some of the bests to ever be made.

I think I'm just going to order Ambulance. I'm sold on the DEMO worthy 4k sound mix. Still waiting for Moonfall to drop in price to what real price should be ($10) haha! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never saw Hamlet. Love Romeo and Juliet (old and 90's Leo version), and No time to Die is kick ass!!

Gladiator, Braveheart and the Matrix are some of the bests to ever be made.

I think I'm just going to order Ambulance. I'm sold on the DEMO worthy 4k sound mix. Still waiting for Moonfall to drop in price to what real price should be ($10) haha! :D
I saw “Ambulance“.

The only 2 good things about the movie is the PQ and SQ. :D

”Moonfall” has better SQ than “Ambulance“.

The story/plot of “Ambulance” is ridiculously absurd and stupid. :D

I guess Michael Bay tried to be like Michael Mann‘s “Heat”. The big difference is that Michael Mann seems to be pretty smart and Michael Bay is probably an imbecile. The only major director who is even dumber than Bay is that M-Night guy - he has got to be the dumbest and worst director of all times. :D

I just read some user reviews on IMDB, and it appears most people are in agreement- this movie is atrocious.

I give it 2 Stars - one star for the 8K digital camera awesome PQ and another star for the good SQ. Zero star for story/plot and everything else. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw “Ambulance“.

The only 2 good things about the movie is the PQ and SQ. :D

”Moonfall” has better SQ than “Ambulance“.

The story/plot of “Ambulance” is ridiculously absurd and stupid. :D

I guess Michael Bay tried to be like Michael Mann‘s “Heat”. The big difference is that Michael Mann seems to be pretty smart and Michael Bay is probably an imbecile. The only major director who is even dumber than Bay is that M-Night guy - he has got to be the dumbest and worst director of all times. :D

I just read some user reviews on IMDB, and it appears most people are in agreement- this movie is atrocious.

I give it 2 Stars - one star for the 8K digital camera awesome PQ and another star for the good SQ. Zero star for story/plot and everything else. :D
I just ordered it on 4k. So the disc version should blow the roof off the house. Everybody is saying the BASS is huge in this movie. So for bass lovers this will be a DEMO disc. PQ should look good. Being shot in 6-8k

It's Michael Bay, story will suck but it's the overall action I'm looking for. I'm used to his movies so can ignore the massive plot holes and cheesy storyline. But if it gives us just non-stop great action sequences that can test the limits of speakers and subwoofers, I'm down. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered it on 4k. So the disc version should blow the roof off the house. Everybody is saying the BASS is huge in this movie. So for bass lovers this will be a DEMO disc. PQ should look good. Being shot in 6-8k

It's Michael Bay, story will suck but it's the overall action I'm looking for. I'm used to his movies so can ignore the massive plot holes and cheesy storyline. But if it gives us just non-stop great action sequences that can test the limits of speakers and subwoofers, I'm down. :D
At least with Transformers, we get to see all the super cool robots.

With Ambulance, we get to see a hundred cop cars and helicopters chasing ONE ambulance and a paramedic doing GI surgery inside the ambulance. :eek:

I was hoping the cop cars and choppers would transform into robots and the Ambulance would transform into the autobot Ratchet. :D

I love action movies and even mindless ones. But this movie is just so bad it’s excruciating. :D

But again, I will give them solid credit for the 6-8K resolution awesome PQ and SQ.

Somebody with a brain just needs to RE-EDIT this atrocity. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
At least with Transformers, we get to see all the super cool robots.

With Ambulance, we get to see a hundred cop cars and helicopters chasing ONE ambulance and a paramedic doing GI surgery inside the ambulance. :eek:

I was hoping the cop cars and choppers would transform into robots and the Ambulance would transform into the autobot Ratchet. :D

I love action movies and even mindless ones. But this movie is just so bad it’s excruciating. :D

But again, I will give them solid credit for the 6-8K resolution awesome PQ and SQ.

Somebody with a brain just needs to RE-EDIT this atrocity. :D
Haha, I think that's why Bay was brought on board....hahaha Joke of a script and gave it the Bay treatment.

The MB classic The Rock is one movie I would love to get the 4k Atmos treatment. I love that movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, I think that's why Bay was brought on board....hahaha Joke of a script and gave it the Bay treatment.

The MB classic The Rock is one movie I would love to get the 4k Atmos treatment. I love that movie.
I do like “The Rock”, so I guess Bay isn’t all worthless. But that movie is too old (1996) and analog to have awesome PQ compared to “Ambulance” and “Moonfall”.

When you have a 150” screen or larger with a 5K+ Lumen PJ, only movies shot using 4-8K digital cameras will do. :cool:

Now for SMALL screens - like less than 150” :D and/or PJ under 5K-lumen, analog and older movies may be okay.

For so many years I only had a 120” screen with dim PJ‘s and I never had this problem. But now with a 150” screen and a 6,000-lumen PJ, it’s a problem that only 4-8K digital cameras can solve. :D

It’s like having a great audio system - the great songs sound amazing, but the great audio system also magnifies all the flaws in poor quality songs.

When you have a great high-lumen PJ and big screen, the great videos look awesome, but the poorer quality videos look like crap and just excruciating to see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis