The trick to getting great immersive sound in my room…

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
For the last 3 years I’ve had an AVR capable of Atmos. It started with a Denon x2300, than onto a 2600, than 3300, a 4300h and finally a 6700h I’ve been enjoying in preamp mode. There have been times with very good native mixes where I get that true bubble but I always felt like it was lacking to a degree and my room isn’t the most ideal for 11 or 13 speakers. It should also be noted I’ve always ran with my height layer +3-5dB before this. That being said for the last 6 months I’ve had a 7.4.6 setup, trying various placement options but never really being content with it. After speaking with @TLS Guy he stated something I had been thinking about for a while, that a 7.4.6 or 9.2.4 isn’t going to work well unless it’s a very large room. I went ahead and switched to a 5.4.4. As stupid as this sounds, given the size of my room and the chosen speaker layout I was able to follow the Atmos guidelines to a fine point, mounting the front and rear pair of Emotiva A1’s at the top of my ceiling with them firing within the optimally suggested angles, having only a single pair of Mirage Omni 60 bookshelf speakers as surrounds I was able to place them within the recommended angle and distance and took the time to ensure all my bed layer was symmetrically placed. Before running MultiEQ-X and REW I simply configured my new layout in the amp assign menu and set my channel trims to 75dB using REW’s generator. This was the only setting I changed prior to listening to a half dozen demo scenes I use to show off immersive audio to friends and people who’s systems I have setup and/or calibrated. So I’m quite familiar with their overall presentation and height channel content. By no means am I exaggerating when I tell you that this is the first time Atmos & DTS:X have ever made me genuinely smile like the worlds biggest AV nerd. I even tried a number of native 5.1/7.1 sources using DSU and finally was able to experience how good it can be. In hindsight compromising correct speaker placement in exchange for putting more speakers into a room in compromised positions wasn’t ever going to work and I should have known that. Regardless, I am beyond ecstatic! Again many thanks to TLS GUY for his input and knowledge

Last edited:
W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Did you try 7.4.4 aswell?
Would love to know room dimensions and setup equipment etc.

What angles did you end up with your speakers?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For the last 3 years I’ve had an AVR capable of Atmos. It started with a Denon x2300, than onto a 2600, than 3300, a 4300h and finally a 6700h I’ve been enjoying in preamp mode. There have been times with very good native mixes where I get that true bubble but I always felt like it was lacking to a degree and my room isn’t the most ideal for 11 or 13 speakers. It should also be noted I’ve always ran with my height layer +3-5dB before this. That being said for the last 6 months I’ve had a 7.4.6 setup, trying various placement options but never really being content with it. After speaking with @TLS Guy he stated something I had been thinking about for a while, that a 7.4.6 or 9.2.4 isn’t going to work well unless it’s a very large room. I went ahead and switched to a 5.4.4. As stupid as this sounds, given the size of my room and the chosen speaker layout I was able to follow the Atmos guidelines to a fine point, mounting the front and rear pair of Emotiva A1’s at the top of my ceiling with them firing within the optimally suggested angles, having only a single pair of Mirage Omni 60 bookshelf speakers as surrounds I was able to place them within the recommended angle and distance and took the time to ensure all my bed layer was symmetrically placed. Before running MultiEQ-X and REW I simply configured my new layout in the amp assign menu and set my channel trims to 75dB using REW’s generator. This was the only setting I changed prior to listening to a half dozen demo scenes I use to show off immersive audio to friends and people who’s systems I have setup and/or calibrated. So I’m quite familiar with their overall presentation and height channel content. By no means am I exaggerating when I tell you that this is the first time Atmos & DTS:X have ever made me genuinely smile like the worlds biggest AV nerd. I even tried a number of native 5.1/7.1 sources using DSU and finally was able to experience how good it can be. In hindsight compromising correct speaker placement in exchange for putting more speakers into a room in compromised positions wasn’t ever going to work and I should have known that. Regardless, I am beyond ecstatic! Again many thanks to TLS GUY for his input and knowledge
I've learned myself sometimes in some rooms more isn't always better. My bedroom isn't ideal for surround sound like a 5 channel bed layer. So I went with 3.1. Sometimes in our hobby if done correctly less is more in the right room

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
I've learned myself sometimes in some rooms more isn't always better. My bedroom isn't ideal for surround sound like a 5 channel bed layer. So I went with 3.1. Sometimes in our hobby if done correctly less is more in the right room
I strongly disagree with a small room like a bedroom only 3 speakers maximum.
I myself have a 5.1.2 in my tiny bedroom only due to the living room is a terrible place for surround sound and my parents unwilling to put the tv on the only area that has a flat wall.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I strongly disagree with a small room like a bedroom only 3 speakers maximum.
I myself have a 5.1.2 in my tiny bedroom only due to the living room is a terrible place for surround sound and my parents unwilling to put the tv on the only area that has a flat wall.
My bedrooms layout isn't set up in a way that surrounds would work. What works in your bed room won't work in mine. Fot some there living rooms or other rooms where you don't always have the setup or wife acceptance factor going for you a 2 or 3 speaker setup still can sound really good. I was suprised how enjoyable 3 1 in that room is. It sure beats a sound bar.

Some rooms aren't laid out where you can do a full layout. But they can still sound good and it's better to focus your money on good speakers where they can work best in those type of rooms and not put speakers and money in positions in a room they won't work and sound quality is compromised

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@Pandaman617 Great that you are enjoying your new arrangement! Many times, it is in the quality of speakers you have + placement + quality equipment + acoustics. I can imagine you being in full movie surround sound. ENJOY

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are welcome. Nice to know for once, I wasn't tuned out!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis