TV stand, entertainment center, audio rack furniture, or whatever you want to call it, suggestion thread

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Title sums it up. I'm looking for some new furniture. Currently have an ikea piece of furniture housing all of my audio equipment/gaming systems. Looking for something around 65" wide, 24" tall. Salamander designs are very nice but so expensive, and the height options are 21 and 31". The 21" is a bit small and the 31" is too large. The bottom of my TV is 37" from the floor, and center is SVS ultra at 8.25", and in the future focal sopra center at 10"+. 24" height is really all I can do, unless a larger height unit has a built in center area. Some of the salamander designs have these center channel shelves, but the largest one I think was 7.5".

I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are not enclosed. Mesh doors are fine, or no doors are fine as well.

Thanks in advance!

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
This is a tough one. I had lot's of trouble a few years back figuring this out. Local store options were bad and I was worried about the weight of my then plasma TV and equipment so I went with a Salamander piece that Crutchfield had in stock for the build quality. I had the same center channel height issue you mention so I had to go with a 7 inch speaker. I also took the doors off for a while until I was overruled by management (wife). Check on Crutfield's site for options if you have not done so yet and good luck.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While not necessarily always the most AV friendly furniture, Wayfair certainly has a lot of options as well as a ton of filters which can help narrow down some selections for something a bit more specific to your needs. I've bought from them any number of times when looking for basic AV stands and furniture.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
This is a tough one. I had lot's of trouble a few years back figuring this out. Local store options were bad and I was worried about the weight of my then plasma TV and equipment so I went with a Salamander piece that Crutchfield had in stock for the build quality. I had the same center channel height issue you mention so I had to go with a 7 inch speaker. I also took the doors off for a while until I was overruled by management (wife). Check on Crutfield's site for options if you have not done so yet and good luck.
Yeah, to get something decent I'll probably have to get something from salamander. They are pretty close to me so I may be able to buy direct. Not really sure though. I was really hoping someone had a competitor in mind

While not necessarily always the most AV friendly furniture, Wayfair certainly has a lot of options as well as a ton of filters which can help narrow down some selections for something a bit more specific to your needs. I've bought from them any number of times when looking for basic AV stands and furniture.

I've spent a lot of time on wayfair, but it's all too "living room-esque" for lack of a better phrasing. Not really looking for a straight rack, like pillars with glass shevling, but not looking for something that looks like it belongs in a living room either. In all honesty, I really like the cabinets from salamander, but it seems crazy to shell out 1,500+ for one of those.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Title sums it up. I'm looking for some new furniture. Currently have an ikea piece of furniture housing all of my audio equipment/gaming systems. Looking for something around 65" wide, 24" tall. Salamander designs are very nice but so expensive, and the height options are 21 and 31". The 21" is a bit small and the 31" is too large. The bottom of my TV is 37" from the floor, and center is SVS ultra at 8.25", and in the future focal sopra center at 10"+. 24" height is really all I can do, unless a larger height unit has a built in center area. Some of the salamander designs have these center channel shelves, but the largest one I think was 7.5".

I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are not enclosed. Mesh doors are fine, or no doors are fine as well.

Thanks in advance!
I have two Salamander Synergy units (SU-40 and SL-20 Triple). They are very solid and quite flexible. I have a 65" on the SL-20 and it sits at the right height if you are seated. As well you can add about 4" of height with the caster kit. It definitely wasn't cheap but nothing quality is.

S

Spread5150

Audiophyte
Salamander and BDI. I scored a pair of BDI media centers for 100 each on offer up. I couldn’t believe it. One had a msrp of 2500 bucks originally. It’s dang near new.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Follow up question, I purchased my Focal Sopra Center Channel. This has a port in the back of the speaker. Would there be any sound degradation if it were placed inside a cabinet with an open front? I know it will not fit in the cabinet I'm linking, but this is what I mean. Might be working on a custom design with salamander if it will be ok to go inside the cabinet. If not, will likely just stick with a stock option.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Follow up question, I purchased my Focal Sopra Center Channel. This has a port in the back of the speaker. Would there be any sound degradation if it were placed inside a cabinet with an open front? I know it will not fit in the cabinet I'm linking, but this is what I mean. Might be working on a custom design with salamander if it will be ok to go inside the cabinet. If not, will likely just stick with a stock option.

Since the port is in the rear I don't think the front matters. However you can have the rear panels off the 236. And don't be so sure that the CC won't fit as the shelves are adjustable to whatever height you may want when you assemble the unit.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Since the port is in the rear I don't think the front matters. However you can have the rear panels off the 236. And don't be so sure that the CC won't fit as the shelves are adjustable to whatever height you may want when you assemble the unit.
Sopra Center measures H 9.25" x W 24" x D 13.75". The width of the 236 is only 19.75". My thought is to get a 345, swap out both sections B's with the media drawers from the 236, giving me the extra height I need. My only concern is the sound with the rear ports. I plan on keep the backing on to hide wires and such.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I just thought of another solution as well, 2 303's and one 221 in the middle. The the center just sits on top of the 221. Problem solved.

Then it's just a matter of seeing if they will do it for the same price as a 345...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Putting a rear-ported speaker in a cubby will degrade its performance. You could always plug the port to perhaps ameliorate that. I would recommend talking to Focal first to make certain plugging the port won’t be detrimental to other aspects of the Speaker’s performance.
Also, keep in mind that you will also increase possible diffraction effects by putting a Speaker in a cubby. How audible the diffraction could be is debatable. However, it definitely does not qualify as “best practice” to achieve best possible SQ.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I just thought of another solution as well, 2 303's and one 221 in the middle. The the center just sits on top of the 221. Problem solved.

Then it's just a matter of seeing if they will do it for the same price as a 345...
I went with the barebones units simply because I wanted to see how they looked first and knowing that the extra's like sides, doors, etc could be added later. other than seeing the cables, the units are brick $hithouses; very stable and they are not flimsy whatsoever. The Synergy was about the only unit that would hold the weight of my gear as my amp is 130 pounds, the pre-amps another 60. Nothing else I could find would hold 130 pounds.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Yeah, to get something decent I'll probably have to get something from salamander. They are pretty close to me so I may be able to buy direct. Not really sure though. I was really hoping someone had a competitor in mind

I've spent a lot of time on wayfair, but it's all too "living room-esque" for lack of a better phrasing. Not really looking for a straight rack, like pillars with glass shevling, but not looking for something that looks like it belongs in a living room either. In all honesty, I really like the cabinets from salamander, but it seems crazy to shell out 1,500+ for one of those.
I too had been looking for furniture. Saw the salamander units on Crutchfield but they looked very industrial. I also wondered if they would start to wobble over time. My current ones at the time were those “Vulcan” ones from Pangea. They turned out to not be very sturdy and the front casters collapsed moving the unit in and out to add units or tinker. Do not underestimate the significance of sturdy well made shelving. I tried cheap and reasonable but overtime they didn’t hold up.

Although expensive, I settled on Solidsteel shelving. They are very robust and sturdy. I have added extra shelves to make a six shelf tower that easily rolls on sturdy casters. You can find them at crutchfield or music direct. The latter is the US distributor for this Italian company. I also like their looks and they have many designs that will likely fit your needs.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Ok so I’ve mostly made up my mind but want one more recommendation.

I’m just keeping it simple and will do a 21” high synergy cabinet from salamander. I just don’t know if I should get the 65” or 87”. It’s going under a 77 C1, and the 65” isn’t as wide, which aesthetically isn’t as appealing to me. The 87” will barely fit between my LR speakers, and I don’t really have enough electronics to fill it. With the speaker distance, I don’t have room to move them out further without moving a sub but they’re also close to the wall as is. I opted to have subs on outside because I have PB 16s and they’re huge and would make walking around a bit tricky with a table between the cabinet (Side question, MLP is 8 ft from the TV, distance between the LR is 8 ft) should these be out wider, closer together?)

[U
C5BCD36E-34DC-4423-A78F-C7C8352C7C31.jpeg

Last edited:
the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I vote fill up the space. You know one day you will get a larger display.
I have new speakers coming in as well, not sure on the footprint of the new ones, Sopra No1s with the stands. Does that sway anyone's opinion?

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic

Thanks in advance!
I use this with my 65” TV , AVR, disc players and Monitor Audio silver Center.

It is 20 inches tall but maybe you can work with it.

A quick search found this 24 inch high stand.

And what about this?
Good luck.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis