highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Seriously, the US has been pretty much worst case scenario for spread of the disease within it's own borders and you're all worried about a few immigrants coming in possibly making things worse?

I think we as a country do a fine enough job on our own of making it worse and that any impact from Title 42 being rescinded will basically be lost in the noise.
The number I have seen lately is 2 million came into the country last year. That's hardly 'a few'. If the contagion stats were accurate, each infected person passed COVID to 3 others, who pass it to three more. That's 18 million cases in a short time.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The number I have seen lately is 2 million came into the country last year. That's hardly 'a few'. If the contagion stats were accurate, each infected person passed COVID to 3 others, who pass it to three more. That's 18 million cases in a short time.
That is less than 1% of the total population of the USA.

Are you just assuming that every one of those 2 million people had Covid? Going by your assumptions that would mean immigrants have been responsible for 20+% of the cases in the US.

FWIW, it is estimated that there are 15 million active Covid cases in the country right now.

highfigh

highfigh

That is less than 1% of the total population of the USA.

Are you just assuming that every one of those 2 million people had Covid? Going by your assumptions that would mean immigrants have been responsible for 20+% of the cases in the US.

FWIW, it is estimated that there are 15 million active Covid cases in the country right now.
I wasn't assuming anything, just using that number as an example.

We were discussing immigrants coming through Mexico, but that's not the only place where they enter the US but pointing out that the number of immigrants coming in last year is <1% of the US population shows that you're not seeing the problem- we can't house, feed and care for US citizens now, how will we do these for more? The link shows the number of immigrants coming in during 2010-2017 is far more than the 2 million coming through Mexico.

15 million is only about 4.5% of the US population.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I wasn't assuming anything, just using that number as an example.

We were discussing immigrants coming through Mexico, but that's not the only place where they enter the US but pointing out that the number of immigrants coming in last year is <1% of the US population shows that you're not seeing the problem- we can't house, feed and care for US citizens now, how will we do these for more? The link shows the number of immigrants coming in during 2010-2017 is far more than the 2 million coming through Mexico.

15 million is only about 4.5% of the US population.
This discussion up until now has been about immigrants causing a rise in Covid, not how to house or care for them. That's an entirely different discussion and one that doesn't pertain to this thread.

I just find it curious you went for way beyond worst case scenario, with 100% infection rate of incoming immigrants. It's an odd choice to make for an example.

There's about 15 million active cases in the country right now. If we go by your example and they all infect three people, and then they all infect 3 more people than close to 200 million people will have it before Title 42 is even rescinded. At that point we'd be more likely to give it to an immigrant than get it from one of them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Wait a minute! I thought our friend had accused China of deliberately releasing the SARS-CoV-2 virus from it's secret biological warfare labs in Wuhan.

Now, it's those infected immigrants from south of the border that have caused our prolonged pandemic. Has he changed his mind? Which is it?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well here we go... LA is reporting 33% rise in Covid cases, and tripling of school outbreaks.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well here we go... LA is reporting 33% rise in Covid cases, and tripling of school outbreaks.
Up until December, I didn't know a single person who had contracted COVID-19. Since then, several extended family members, friends and co-workers have been infected. Over the past week, Nova Scotia has been averaging 1,000 new cases per day* - and that's just from PCR test results. Rapid tests aren't included in the official stats. We're swimming in the virus right now. It's quite disappointing, because we had been doing so well throughout the pandemic.

For reference, the population is 1,000,000 people.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Up until December, I didn't know a single person who had contracted COVID-19. Since then, several extended family members, friends and co-workers have been infected. Over the past week, Nova Scotia has been averaging 1,000 new cases per day* - and that's just from PCR test results. Rapid tests aren't included in the official stats. We're swimming in the virus right now. It's quite disappointing, because we had been doing so well throughout the pandemic.

With those bad figures, I presume that a good percentage of your population did not receive at least the minimum 2 doses recommended by Health Canada, and a strong possibility that many people don't follow the suggested sanitary and distancinng measures.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
With those bad figures, I presume that a good percentage of your population did not receive at least the minimum 2 doses recommended by Health Canada, and a strong possibility that many people don't follow the suggested sanitary and distancinng measures.
Nova Scotia and the other Atlantic Provinces have the highest vaccination rates in the country. With the onset of Omicron and relaxation of restrictions, the infection rates increased accordingly.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Nova Scotia and the other Atlantic Provinces have the highest vaccination rates in the country. With the onset of Omicron and relaxation of restrictions, the infection rates increased accordingly.
Premature relaxation of restrictions is problematic. In our Quebec province, we've just extended the mask restriction from April 14 to April 28. And if hospitalization rate does not decrease in a satisfactory way, it will be extended again. I think that's the right decision as masks protect against transmission and from contracting the virus as well.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Wait a minute! I thought our friend had accused China of deliberately releasing the SARS-CoV-2 virus from it's secret biological warfare labs in Wuhan.

Now, it's those infected immigrants from south of the border that have caused our prolonged pandemic. Has he changed his mind? Which is it?
Whatever one can get away with. ;) Any excuse will do, then you circle back and repeat. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that this new wave will resemble the winter Omicron outbreak. It was much more easily spread, but led to fewer hospitalizations and deaths … among vaccinated people.

Among the non-vaccinated … it was more easily spread AND more dangerous.

highfigh

highfigh

This discussion up until now has been about immigrants causing a rise in Covid, not how to house or care for them. That's an entirely different discussion and one that doesn't pertain to this thread.

I just find it curious you went for way beyond worst case scenario, with 100% infection rate of incoming immigrants. It's an odd choice to make for an example.

There's about 15 million active cases in the country right now. If we go by your example and they all infect three people, and then they all infect 3 more people than close to 200 million people will have it before Title 42 is even rescinded. At that point we'd be more likely to give it to an immigrant than get it from one of them.
100% would be worst case scenario and I already posted that I didn't assume they all have COVID, just used that number as an example. I have also addressed what we would do with the immigrants several times, but I don't expect anyone to wade through more than 7800 posts to find it.

WRT your last comment, yeah, right. OTOH, many Americans clearly don't give a rat's butt about wearing their mask properly- I regularly see people with their mask below their mouth or nose, some have it hanging from one ear. In a private setting, many people don't wear a mask and that's an easy way to become infected. People who don't know the main language tend to mingle with those who speak their language because, well, it's much easier to get things done than by struggling with a new one.

highfigh

highfigh

Who is "our friend"?

highfigh

highfigh

WOW! That's odd, since your area was so strict on masks, testing and vaccination. I'm genuinely surprised by the current rate of infection in the Milwaukee area- 25 cases/day with Females and 25-43 as the most common as of April 6.

https://city.milwaukee.gov/coronavirus

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
WOW! That's odd, since your area was so strict on masks, testing and vaccination. I'm genuinely surprised by the current rate of infection in the Milwaukee area- 25 cases/day with Females and 25-43 as the most common as of April 6.

Well, testing rates have some bearing on the known numbers. I don't know how we compare with other jurisdictions in that regard. Nova Scotia Public Health is releasing much less COVID data now and many people are questioning this. It's one thing to relax restrictions and tell people to exercise their best judgment regarding personal risk and behaviour, but to not give sufficient information to base that judgement on doesn't make sense.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

In my oinion, those young females are just stupid individuals not following the recommended sanitary restrictions. They also assemble in parties or other activities and these, you know, are the greatest causes of virus transmission.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
100% would be worst case scenario and I already posted that I didn't assume they all have COVID, just used that number as an example.
And I still find choosing the entire population of immigrants a very odd number to choose for an example.

WRT your last comment, yeah, right. OTOH, many Americans clearly don't give a rat's butt about wearing their mask properly- I regularly see people with their mask below their mouth or nose, some have it hanging from one ear. In a private setting, many people don't wear a mask and that's an easy way to become infected. People who don't know the main language tend to mingle with those who speak their language because, well, it's much easier to get things done than by struggling with a new one.
So based on this you think immigrants won't mix with non-immigrants, yet you're still worried they will spread it to non-immigrants?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting mask info.
View attachment 55319
Masks may not be 100% effective, but that doesn't mean they don't work.

>>>‘The studies that did not find statistically significant effects prove only that masks cannot offer protection if they are not worn,’ concludes researcher Alex Siegenfeld<<<

Edit: After I posted this I realized that the study was actually fairly old.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis