B

bsf

Audioholic
I am potentially buying the following.

my room is 12'x15' basement, lots of space around main room 90%+ home theater

Paradigm Premier 800F + 600C
Monolith by Monoprice 16in THX Certified Ultra 2000-Watt Powered Subwoofer maybe the PB16 Ultra SVS
Monolith by Monoprice 7x200 Watts Per
Marantz AV7706 Pre amp

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Audioholics is currently reviewing the AV 7706 should be released shortly.

I’ve read less than favorable comments on this website concerning monoprice’ s customer service. But not SVS. You might consider two smaller subs instead of one large one.

There are likely other multichannel amps with better bench measurements (class d perhaps, VTV? Buckeye?)

Your speaker choice is fine.

Good luck with the whole learning and setup curve. I’ve always found that enjoyable.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like your list! Tho I will second looking into 2 smaller subs. Not so much for power but to help with bass coverage. The 15s are on sale right now.

A pair of those aren't much more would beat having a single 16" imo.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve read less than favorable comments on this website concerning monoprice’ s customer service. But not SVS.
I can also confirm that compared to SVS, Monoprice's customer service isn't great. However they did replace my Monolith 7 (after inspecting it for a couple of weeks with no communication) with no questions asked, and it was my fault so I can't complain. They did make me suffer in the dark for a while, but honored their warranty. SVS' cust service is really stellar tho. They're fast, keep you in the loop and always answer questions. They've helped me well outside of warranty a couple of times too. Great company to work with. That's kinda rolled into their pricing too tho.

B

bsf

Audioholic
Audioholics is currently reviewing the AV 7706 should be released shortly.

I’ve read less than favorable comments on this website concerning monoprice’ s customer service. But not SVS. You might consider two smaller subs instead of one large one.

There are likely other multichannel amps with better bench measurements (class d perhaps, VTV? Buckeye?)

Your speaker choice is fine.

Good luck with the whole learning and setup curve. I’ve always found that enjoyable.
I am also interested in the SVS Ultra Tower + center

B

bsf

Audioholic
I like your list! Tho I will second looking into 2 smaller subs. Not so much for power but to help with bass coverage. The 15s are on sale right now.

A pair of those aren't much more would beat having a single 16" imo.
How do you think those compare to the Rhytk FV15HP.

Im a major bass head. so I could see myself eventually getting 2 of the Monolith16in THX or SVS PB16 Ultra

I also considered the Monoprice HTP-1 16-Channel Home Theater Processor

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am also interested in the SVS Ultra Tower + center
Great speakers and center too. I might lean more toward the Premiers tho. They reviewed really well here and aren't quite as pricey.

B

bsf

Audioholic
Great speakers and center too. I might lean more toward the Premiers tho. They reviewed really well here and aren't quite as pricey.

I really like the look of the Paradigms

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you think those compare to the Rhytk FV15HP.

Im a major bass head. so I could see myself eventually getting 2 of the Monolith16in THX or SVS PB16 Ultra

I also considered the Monoprice HTP-1 16-Channel Home Theater Processor
Between SVS and Monoprice performance is going to be more similar than different. I think for the money Monoprice is hard to beat. If you want and are planning on getting a pair of 16s more power to you, lol. I'm on board. Given a choice between a single 16 and a pair of 15s tho I think you'll get more performance out of the pair of 15s for about the same money as a single 16. Unless you have a huge cavernous room I don't think you'd notice a big difference between a pair of 15s or a pair of 16s for that matter, provided you integrate them optimally.

Money no object the PB16 Ultra is pretty nice with lots of bells and whistles and great looks and customer service to boot. For raw power and performance I think the Monolith 16 can hang with the PB16 Ultra. More budget conscious I think a pair of 15s will give you more than enough. Unless as I mentioned huge cavernous (more than 6000³') room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One other thing to note with Monoprice. The way they measure their drivers is from the edge of the cone so that 15 or 16 inches is all radiating surface area. SVS and most others measure from the edge of the basket frame so Monoprice's sub drivers are bigger than most others. That 16" is probably close to 18" (and 15" closer to 17") by any other manufacturer's standards. It's a significant distinction.

B

bsf

Audioholic
Between SVS and Monoprice performance is going to be more similar than different. I think for the money Monoprice is hard to beat. If you want and are planning on getting a pair of 16s more power to you, lol. I'm on board. Given a choice between a single 16 and a pair of 15s tho I think you'll get more performance out of the pair of 15s for about the same money as a single 16. Unless you have a huge cavernous room I don't think you'd notice a big difference between a pair of 15s or a pair of 16s for that matter, provided you integrate them optimally.

Money no object the PB16 Ultra is pretty nice with lots of bells and whistles and great looks and customer service to boot. For raw power and performance I think the Monolith 16 can hang with the PB16 Ultra. More budget conscious I think a pair of 15s will give you more than enough. Unless as I mentioned huge cavernous (more than 6000³') room.
I think you're right about these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42851

I think for the price, 2 would be very solid and probably not worth going to the 16" THX or PB16 Ultra which would be almost double the cost

or what about the 13in THX Certified Ultra 2000-Watt

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Another advantage of the pair of 15s is that the OP, with proper placement of the drivers, will be able to get a better acoustical rendition than with only one driver.

Last edited:
B

bsf

Audioholic
Another advantage of the pair of 15s is that the OP, with proper placement of the drivers, will be able to get a better acoustic rendition than with only one driver.

Which would be better the M-15 V2 15in THX Certified Ultra 1000- or the 13in THX Certified Ultra 2000-Watt

I am basically buying a monolith or SVS sub, just can't decide

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you're right about these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42851

I think for the price, 2 would be very solid and probably not worth going to the 16" THX or PB16 Ultra which would be almost double the cost

Yup. I think so too. However if you wanna chuck budget out the window I can't argue with a pair of 16s! I'm feeling ya! :p
or what about the 13in THX Certified Ultra 2000-Watt
Another fine sub, but for the cost I still think the 15" is plenty. I'd have to dig to compare performance but off the top of my head I think what would make the 13 more attractive is that it's a little bit smaller.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Which would be better the M-15 V2 15in THX Certified Ultra 1000- or the 13in THX Certified Ultra 2000-Watt

Like I posted above I still think your best value is a pair of 15s. The 13 is a great little sub too, but I think its biggest advantage is smaller size in comparison.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Imo that comes down to cost, aesthetics and features. SVS wins for looks and features. Monoprice has better pricing. Performance is pretty much neck and neck.

B

bsf

Audioholic
Imo that comes down to cost, aesthetics and features. SVS wins for looks and features. Monoprice has better pricing. Performance is pretty much neck and neck.
Thank you! and the
Marantz AV7706 Pre amp

good choice as well?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Thank you! and the
Marantz AV7706 Pre amp

good choice as well?

You should compare specs of above amplifier. It is a Class D hypex and will likely have much better specs than the monolith.

Read through this as well.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Re: Subs... Rythmik doesn't give you anything in their 16 year old tech that you can't get elswhere. Everything about Rythmik being more musical and the Servos being some magic bullet is just marketing fluff and dogma.

They are not bad Subs, and until now, they were some of the best for sure.

If you learn about reading Subwoofer measurements, you can see that they are almost completely equal to the newer Subs on the market like the Monoliths.

If I were buying today, I would be looking hard at the Monoliths over just about anything else in those price points.

As for which Subs, I agree you should target two Subs over one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you! and the
Marantz AV7706 Pre amp

good choice as well?
I own a Monolith 7. Great amp! It's the same amp Monoprice replaced for me.

I just thought of a funny analogy for that.

Monoprice will honor their warranty if it comes down to it, but might leave you in the dark for a little bit.

SVS will respond faster, pour you a drink, give you a backrub and tell you everything is gonna be alright... :p

I'm not much of a processor guru. I went the more budget conscious route and have been using an avr with preouts as my processor for the last 5 years and it's been doing a great job. Budget no option (tho still not TOO pricey) I like Monoprice's HTP-1 as a stand alone prepro.

I know, I'm beginning to show bias here... lol. It is a fact tho, that Monoprice has been killing it with high end audio lately. You can put together an entire hifi ht with them alone. All the way from the cables to speakers to processor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis