2022, Current top 5 most competent full range speakers in budget/mid/high-end ranges?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like the on-axis FR from about 40Hz-12kHz is about +/-2.5dB, which is considered “accurate”.

That graph is for the II, but the guy you are responding to is talking about the III. The II has a different waveguide.

Also, for such a speaker, you need to be measuring at least 2 meters back and probably more like 3 meters is necessary. Hopefully, the guys measuring these speakers understand that.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Sidebar: Back in 1986 I went out on a limb and purchased a pair of JBL L100t3's. Today's equivalent would be the JBL L100 Classic's or the Anniversary edition of that speaker. I cannot afford to buy such a pair of speakers today at $4,000+. This makes me really glad I did indeed go way above my means when I bought the L 100t3's. I don't know what youthful audiophiles are capable of spending today but if they have rising incomes and a credit card, I'd suggest they go out on a limb like I did and get the best sounding speakers they can put on the card because in the long run it's going to provide awesome pleasures for very little expense, about .125 cents a day for me at thls point. ATTACH=full]55041[/ATTACH]
This is very true, good speakers last nearly a life time (well, maybe a cool 20 years if cared for). And good speakers make up almost all of what your assumed good recordings will sound like, so getting the best quality speakers you can is absolutely worth it in the long run!

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
In-room pressure vessel gain can boost the lower end of the response significantly, as can boundary gain. I don't think it necessarily needs to cost a fortune to get a speaker that can reproduce deep bass, at least to 30Hz. It may not be able to match a subwoofer, but the average person really doesn't need that kind of output anyway. Furthermore, if you are looking for full-range speakers, chances are you are looking to build a two-channel system for music, and how much music digs that deep? The vast majority of music doesn't really do much below 40Hz let alone 30Hz. There is usually a lot more energy in the signal above 70Hz than below, especially for acoustic music.
Thanks, this is more to the spirit that I'm looking at in this particular discussion. The real world use and real world results in a room and your points on the purpose and generally how much content is probably going to happen in that range is limited. I think it's safe to say that someone interested in gobs of sub bass are not looking to build a full range sub-less stereo system to further drive that point. Your point is very much a part of how a budget speaker may get close to meeting the ideas expressed here.

Very best,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shady nailed it. That’s the wrong speaker. ;)
For sake of debate, how is comparing RF-7-III vs RF-7-II significantly different than something like a B&W 802D1 vs 802D2 vs 802D3 vs D4 (all of the D's measure extremely similar to one another on Stereophile).

Are there measurements of both RF-7-III and RF-7-II from the same 3rd party?

If the measurements of the 2 speakers are from 2 different people, there's no way of proving which measurement was done more correctly.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For sake of debate, how is comparing RF-7-III vs RF-7-II significantly different than something like a B&W 802D1 vs 802D2 vs 802D3 vs D4 (all of the D's measure extremely similar to one another on Stereophile).

Are there measurements of both RF-7-III and RF-7-II from the same 3rd party?

If the measurements of the 2 speakers are from 2 different people, there's no way of proving which measurement was done more correctly.
I am uncertain about the German source sited, if they measured both Speakers or not, however, their measurement for the III compares pretty closely to the other source I linked to. Both sets of measurements show a much more significant drop at 1000 Hz which is not seen on the measurement of the II.

I don't want to continue distracting from Malveaux's thread. I really have no desire to focus on Klipsch Speakers unless they truly pertain to Friend Malveaux.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I don't want to continue distracting from Malveaux's thread. I really have no desire to focus on Klipsch Speakers unless they truly pertain to Friend Malveaux.
No worries; it helps to understand a recommendation. There's gotta be some measurements at some point to be a top 5 right?

Very best,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am uncertain about the German source sited, if they measured both Speakers or not, however, their measurement for the III compares pretty closely to the other source I linked to. Both sets of measurements show a much more significant drop at 1000 Hz which is not seen on the measurement of the II.

Fair enough. That is a big trough around 1kHz. :D

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (higher end, > $3k)
SVS Ultra Towers (upper mid-tier into higher end, >$2.5k)
Philharmonic BMRs Monitors (mid-tier and into higher end, $1.7k from Dennis to 2.9k from Salk with finish)
Philharmonic BMR Towers (higher end, $3.7k+)
Polk Reserve R700's (mid-tier, $2.2k a pair)
Polk Legends L800's (high end, $6k a pair)
JBL Studio 590's (budget tier when on sale, $800 a pair)
RBH SVTR Towers (high end to summit level $7500 a pair)
RBH SF-8300 (Discontinued?)
Klipsch RF7-III (high end level $4.4k a pair)
Salk SongTower II (high end $2795 a pair)
Salk Song3 (high end $3495 a pair)
Salk Veracity ST (high end $4695 a pair)
Sald Song3-A (high end $4495 a pair)
Salk Veracity HT2-TL (high end $4895 a pair)
Salk Song3 Encore (high end $6295 a pair)
JTR Noesis 215RT (high end $9000 a pair)
Revel F206 (high end $4000 a pair)
PSB Imagine X2T Tower (top end of budget and into low mid-tier $1500 a pair)
Fluance Signature HiFi 3-Way ($850 a pair, budget tier)
Polk XT70 (budget tier, $700 a pair)
Revel F228Be (high end, $11k a pair)
Focal Kanta (high end, $11~12k a pair)
JBL HDI 3800 (high end, $5.5k a pair)
Infinity Reference 263 (budget tier, $400ish a pair, discontinued?)
Triangle Borea BR09 (mid-tier, $1.8k per pair)
Dali Oberon 7 (mid-tier, $1.7k per pair)
Dali Oberon 9 (upper mid-tier, $2.5k per pair)

Very best,
Most speakers on this list are absolutely NOT "full range". Slash em off.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Most speakers on this list are absolutely NOT "full range". Slash em off.
Hi,

How do you define full range?
Was the descriptions not sufficient?
Asking sincerely.

What do you recommend in each price bracket bracket as a full range or near full range stereo speaker setup with no sub?

Very best,

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Hi,

How do you define full range?
Was the descriptions not sufficient?
Asking sincerely.

What do you recommend in each price bracket bracket as a full range or near full range stereo speaker setup with no sub?

Very best,
Here was your definition/criteria:
"Emphasis on full range, ie, no subwoofer involved. Most likely these will be floor standing speakers or simply larger cabinet speakers (even if a bookshelf class). I would expect the speaker to be able to get close to 30hz or at least 40hz or so without too much struggle, setup well in a room"

Going by your own definition, most speakers on your compiled list would flounder.

I don't recommend "full range" speakers at all. They are overpriced relics from the past a.k.a a time when subwoofers were unheard of or were absolute sht.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I don't recommend "full range" speakers at all. They are overpriced relics from the past a.k.a a time when subwoofers were unheard of or were absolute sht.
Ok, thanks!

Very best,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here was your definition/criteria:
"Emphasis on full range, ie, no subwoofer involved. Most likely these will be floor standing speakers or simply larger cabinet speakers (even if a bookshelf class). I would expect the speaker to be able to get close to 30hz or at least 40hz or so without too much struggle, setup well in a room"

Going by your own definition, most speakers on your compiled list would flounder.

Almost every single one of the speakers on his list would be pretty competent down to 40Hz. There are very good reasons to get deeper digging speakers. Most people have no use for bass below 30Hz. Most people can not integrate a subwoofer well to start with. Most people can not accommodate the giant subs that are competent down to 20Hz. Most people would be pretty happy with the bass extension and output of the speakers on that list. May of them would constitute a better solution for bringing bass into a system than adding a subwoofer.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Almost every single one of the speakers on his list would be pretty competent down to 40Hz. There are very good reasons to get deeper digging speakers. Most people have no use for bass below 30Hz. Most people can not integrate a subwoofer well to start with. Most people can not accommodate the giant subs that are competent down to 20Hz. Most people would be pretty happy with the bass extension and output of the speakers on that list. May of them would constitute a better solution for bringing bass into a system than adding a subwoofer.
Right...Most people would be happy with tv speakers too. You sound kinda dull with this schpeel dude. Gnite.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
This is the new Canton vento 90 at $6000 a pair. I own the older version the vento 896.2 and they have no problem getting very loud and digging deep. I did an in room rew sweep and it blew me away! I saw peak spl numbers that really weren’t safe, but they never made a bad sound. I want to say peak was 119db at 60-70hz, and were able to hit over 103db at 25hz. Can’t remember 20hz but still had decent output well above 85db. To be fair they were getting clean power from my NAD m28.

Canton also makes a better model, the vento 100 that’s even more capable.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Type
Floorstanding speaker

Engineering Principle
3-way bass reflex

Nom. / Music power handling
180W / 340W

Frequency response
20 - 40.000 Hz

Crossover frequency
170 / 3.000 Hz

Midrange
1 x 174 mm (6,8''), Titanium-graphite (Wave surround)

Woofer
2 x 192 mm (7,6"), Titanium-graphite (Wave surround)

Tweeter
1 x 25 mm (1''), CeramicNominal Impedance

4 - 8 ohms

Warranty
5 years

Dimensions (WxHxD)
29 x 110,5 x 38 cm (11,4" x 43,5" x 15")

Weight
65.5 lbs. (29.7 kg)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
This is the new Canton vento 90 at $6000 a pair. I own the older version the vento 896.2 and they have no problem getting very loud and digging deep. I did an in room rew sweep and it blew me away! I saw peak spl numbers that really weren’t safe, but they never made a bad sound. I want to say peak was 119db at 60-70hz, and were able to hit over 103db at 25hz. Can’t remember 20hz but still had decent output well above 85db. To be fair they were getting clean power from my NAD m28.

Canton also makes a better model, the vento 100 that’s even more capable.
Thanks, added!

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Thanks; this is more in line with the spirit of the fun of this thread and why it's not strictly a specific hz or note, but rather just getting close in various price brackets. I think some people cannot get past a few ideas and have fun with it and that's ok.

I appreciate everyone's input either way.

Very best,

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In-room pressure vessel gain can boost the lower end of the response significantly, as can boundary gain. I don't think it necessarily needs to cost a fortune to get a speaker that can reproduce deep bass, at least to 30Hz. It may not be able to match a subwoofer, but the average person really doesn't need that kind of output anyway. Furthermore, if you are looking for full-range speakers, chances are you are looking to build a two-channel system for music, and how much music digs that deep? The vast majority of music doesn't really do much below 40Hz let alone 30Hz. There is usually a lot more energy in the signal above 70Hz than below, especially for acoustic music.
So the PSBs should qualify into that list as they easily do 38 Hz and dig lower with boundary gain. Alot of recommendations made could use the help of a sub.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Right...Most people would be happy with tv speakers too. You sound kinda dull with this schpeel dude. Gnite.
Most people in this thread are just having some harmless fun looking for and learning about different speakers with certain capabilities. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a little forum fun. If you don't wanna play you don't have to...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis