2022, Current top 5 most competent full range speakers in budget/mid/high-end ranges?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
You mentioned looking for more budget level speakers. Based on the link that Pogre posted above, I'm always blown away at how the Infinity Reference 263 (and 253) ranks down the tower lines. (at some pretty high $ thresholds) They do not have the bass however. They benefit from subs which we all have. But I'm surprised how they measure at least in this link. I have a setup of these of course and I paid under $200 for all the speakers. Performance wise, they seem to rank up there with other Harmon speakers including some Revels. Seems too good to be true. I like the ones I have and don't have $2000 speakers to compare them to.
Infinity is another one that has sales fairly commonly and is brought up a lot in budget threads. While the 263 doesn't hit an honest 30hz in a chamber, it's possible perhaps to get close in a room. They go on sale for $200. Worth at least mentioning, thanks!

Not sure they're still available though? Discontinued?

Very best,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Fluance Signature Hifi 3-Way ($850 a pair, 8 inch woofers; I think this has been reviewed a bit and basically was just an ok speaker, but I don't expect crazy from that price range of course).

Here at AH: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/fluance-signature-series-three-way
I hadn't started doing groundplane measurements of loudspeakers at that point, so there are none in that review. The low-frequency curve in that review is totally incorrect because I windowed out the time length of low-frequency signal wavelengths. I should have chopped off the graph below 200Hz like I do now, so no one would misread it. Everything that I do has improved over the years, and I almost wish I could redo that review.

Here is a graph of the actual measured response in free-air of the Fluance Signature Three-way Towers. There is no windowing here, so the ground reflection is causing a comb-filtering pattern in the response, so this isn't an accurate depiction of the speaker's response. You can, however, kind of make out the extension of the speaker in this response. Port tuning looks to be around 40Hz:
Fluance low frequency.jpg

This is verified by the Impedance response which has the nadir in the saddle at above 40Hz:
Fluance low frequency phase.jpg

So just because the Fluance Signature Three-Way Towers had two 8" bass drivers doesn't mean they can dig all that deep.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I hadn't started doing groundplane measurements of loudspeakers at that point, so there are none in that review. Everything that I do has improved over the years, and I almost wish I could redo that review.

Here is a graph of the actual measured response in free-air of the Fluance Signature Three-way Towers.

So just because the Fluance Signature Three-Way Towers had two 8" bass drivers doesn't mean they can dig all that deep.
Thanks; oh I totally understand, we all grow over time and stuff like this isn't intrinsic. I appreciate you taking any time to measure anything, it's better than relying on pure mysticism.

Looks like it would at least do ok, getting closer to 30hz, for a budget speaker. Possibly would do better in a room well suited to getting there perhaps. Very good point that 8 inch drivers don't guarantee anything with respect to extension.

Very best,

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Triangle Borea BR09 is $1850 and rated down to 35Hz. The BR08 is only rated down to 40Hz so not sure if it quite meets your parameters. They carried Triangle at the shop where I demod the JBL HDI but I didn't get a chance to hear them.

Seem to be a lot of speakers rated down to 40Hz, but to find ones rated down to 35 or lower gets harder. The Dali Oberon 5 is only rated to 40Hz but the Oberon 7 ($1700) is rated to 36Hz and the Oberon 9 ($2500) to 35Hz (+/- 3dB).

Elac has towers in the Debut and UniFi lines, but again, they only rate them down to 40Hz. You have to step up to the Elac Solano towers to get down to 30Hz ($4,000 a pair).

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Triangle Borea BR09 is $1850 and rated down to 35Hz. The BR08 is only rated down to 40Hz so not sure if it quite meets your parameters. They carried Triangle at the shop where I demod the JBL HDI but I didn't get a chance to hear them.

Seem to be a lot of speakers rated down to 40Hz, but to find ones rated down to 35 or lower gets harder. The Dali Oberon 5 is only rated to 40Hz but the Oberon 7 ($1700) is rated to 36Hz and the Oberon 9 ($2500) to 35Hz (+/- 3dB).

Elac has towers in the Debut and UniFi lines, but again, they only rate them down to 40Hz. You have to step up to the Elac Solano towers to get down to 30Hz ($4,000 a pair).
Thanks, good to have more options to look at and consider. I don't believe I'm familiar with Triangle, so its nice to see something new to me.

Very best,

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, good to have more options to look at and consider. I don't believe I'm familiar with Triangle, so its nice to see something new to me.

Very best,
I think our European friends would be more familiar with Triangle. They are a French company and have been making speakers since 1980. I have only seen the Borea line in Canada, which is their entry level, but they do have high end speakers as well in their Signature and Magellan lines.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I think our European friends would be more familiar with Triangle. They are a French company and have been making speakers since 1980. I have only seen the Borea line in Canada, which is their entry level, but they do have high end speakers as well in their Signature and Magellan lines.
Thanks, yea I'm sure it's different in different parts of the world for sure. Would be interesting to see some unknowns if they're available even as imports.

Very best,

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I'm thrilled to see my Klipsch RF7 III's in that list but people have been dissing Klipsch no matter the models. I've ignored the haters and really enjoy them for home theater. But if they're so bad and not audiophile-worthy, why are they on the list?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thrilled to see my Klipsch RF7 III's in that list but people have been dissing Klipsch no matter the models. I've ignored the haters and really enjoy them for home theater. But if they're so bad and not audiophile-worthy, why are they on the list?
Everything I've seen about the RF7 III and similar models has been pretty much all positive. I do think they take a li'l unfair hit just being horn speakers and some of the cheaper models sound like it. Done right tho, horns can work really well and their higher models seem to be pretty good.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
If they meet criteria, then they might criteria. Don't worry if someone likes or dislikes something you like. All that matters is if you like it. There are crests and troughs in popularity with various brands. Even more so now than ever with the power of persuasion from video "reviews." But it's always nice to discover new things for when you're shopping. You experienced just that the other day with Philharmonics and it swayed you big time, for the best too, because instead of a mass produced speaker from SVS, you got a nicer custom speaker that is higher quality for a similar price. To be far, Philharmonics are exceptional for their pricing, but how would someone know right? That's the fun of this. Dennis doesn't exactly advertise.

Very best,

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not meaning to start a bag-fest on the big K. ;) the 8000s were one of their best measuring speakers, but still had some hiccough in the mid range. I may be mistaken but thought I had seen the 7s FR a little all over the place like many of their designs.
Doesn’t mean they can’t be enjoyable.
Just means they aren’t accurate.
;)
I’ll look when I get back home and correct myself if I’m wrong.
(Unless somebody else corrects me here first.) *blushes

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I think a big part of the sentiment with Klipsch is largely the same for many other big box brands (at this point, they were not always big box brands) in that they have a ton of models filling nearly all price points and stuffing them into big box stores and sending you daily flyers. Like finding Klipsch all over the place in the 90's at BestBuy. These days, especially on enthusiast websites, you'll find a fair amount of bagging on various big box brands that are heavily advertised in the large mass production platforms (example, if it's from NewEgg and discounted, it can't be good, right?).

I wouldn't worry about it. An honest review and measurements and real world listening can give an idea of things. There are plenty of speakers that are fine that get a bad rap due to brand bias after someone watches a video that was paid promoted to show up in a search related to speakers or audio, etc, on the YouTube.

Personally I don't care. If it can do the job, sounds good (that's personal, no matter the measurement) to you and and fits your budget, then enjoy yourself. And in this particular thread context, if it can do nearly 30hz or F3 without a sub, great, it gets on this list.

Very best,

Last edited:
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
If they meet criteria, then they might criteria. Don't worry if someone likes or dislikes something you like. All that matters is if you like it. There are crests and troughs in popularity with various brands. Even more so now than ever with the power of persuasion from video "reviews." But it's always nice to discover new things for when you're shopping. You experienced just that the other day with Philharmonics and it swayed you big time, for the best too, because instead of a mass produced speaker from SVS, you got a nicer custom speaker that is higher quality for a similar price. To be far, Philharmonics are exceptional for their pricing, but how would someone know right? That's the fun of this. Dennis doesn't exactly advertise.

Very best,
I have 34 Klipsch speakers in my house... obviously, I don't give a crap about what others think. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not meaning to start a bag-fest on the big K. ;) the 8000s were one of their best measuring speakers, but still had some hiccough in the mid range. I may be mistaken but thought I had seen the 7s FR a little all over the place like many of their designs.
Doesn’t mean they can’t be enjoyable.
Just means they aren’t accurate.
;)
I’ll look when I get back home and correct myself if I’m wrong.
(Unless somebody else corrects me here first.) *blushes
I found this for measurements of the RF7:
and this:

Again: This isn't about bashing the Big K. I get it. People love these because they are fun, create a sense of immediacy, all that.
It's just information and to each listener, their own! :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You guys still have a rosy idea of the possible.

It would be revealing if you guys would get a modelling program. Then you would understand what I am talking about.

I have attached a file of an expensive 8" Scanspeak woofer. ($409 a piece). So it would go in a high end speaker.

It is a 170 watt woofer. Optimally loaded, F3 is around 34 Hz. So this is the type of driver we are talking about.

So above 70 will will handle 170 watts, for 112db at 1 meter.

But at 30 Hz it will only tolerate 20 watts for 100db at 1 meter.

If you use two woofers, you can add 3db to those numbers.

As you lower the price and quality of woofers, then the output is far less with little output although it may show a low Fs.

So in addition to knowing the F3 you must know the power handling and output at FP, and at what frequency you can apply the rated power.

Just considering F3 alone is virtually meaningless.

This discussion, though fun has very little practical application.

Attachments

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sidebar: Back in 1986 I went out on a limb and purchased a pair of JBL L100t3's. Today's equivalent would be the JBL L100 Classic's or the Anniversary edition of that speaker. I cannot afford to buy such a pair of speakers today at $4,000+. This makes me really glad I did indeed go way above my means when I bought the L 100t3's. I don't know what youthful audiophiles are capable of spending today but if they have rising incomes and a credit card, I'd suggest they go out on a limb like I did and get the best sounding speakers they can put on the card because in the long run it's going to provide awesome pleasures for very little expense, about .125 cents a day for me at thls point. ATTACH=full]55041[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the on-axis FR from about 40Hz-12kHz is about +/-2.5dB, which is considered “accurate”.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You guys still have a rosy idea of the possible.

It would be revealing if you guys would get a modelling program. Then you would understand what I am talking about.

I have attached a file of an expensive 8" Scanspeak woofer. ($409 a piece). So it would go in a high end speaker.

It is a 170 watt woofer. Optimally loaded, F3 is around 34 Hz. So this is the type of driver we are talking about.

So above 70 will will handle 170 watts, for 112db at 1 meter.

But at 30 Hz it will only tolerate 20 watts for 100db at 1 meter.

If you use two woofers, you can add 3db to those numbers.

As you lower the price and quality of woofers, then the output is far less with little output although it may show a low Fs.

So in addition to knowing the F3 you must know the power handling and output at FP, and at what frequency you can apply the rated power.

Just considering F3 alone is virtually meaningless.

This discussion, though fun has very little practical application.
In-room pressure vessel gain can boost the lower end of the response significantly, as can boundary gain. I don't think it necessarily needs to cost a fortune to get a speaker that can reproduce deep bass, at least to 30Hz. It may not be able to match a subwoofer, but the average person really doesn't need that kind of output anyway. Furthermore, if you are looking for full-range speakers, chances are you are looking to build a two-channel system for music, and how much music digs that deep? The vast majority of music doesn't really do much below 40Hz let alone 30Hz. There is usually a lot more energy in the signal above 70Hz than below, especially for acoustic music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis