Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have an outdoor TV antenna that stopped working. More than likely, it is a connector at the antenna or somewhere else. But it is a long run under my mobile home with at least a few connectors including the wall connector. I plan to eliminate excess length with no cuts. Straight to the TV. I will need 40 ft so I need to find a suitable quality 50 ft roll. Parts Express has some options. Can anyone tell me which one to go with? https://www.parts-express.com/search?order=relevance:desc&page=2&keywords=coax cable

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Some might ask "why not just get YouTube TV and call it a day?" I do not watch a lot of live TV and cannot justify $60 a month for a little local news on weekend mornings. I absolutely need TV in the late summer/fall to watch the Minnesota Vikings.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes. You said it was going under your home so being exposed to the elements it would still be the way to go. The others are really made for inwall or in home.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Great. Thx. To clarify, the existing cable goes under the house. The new one will not. It will be approx. half the length outside, then approx. half inside. Same cable, no cuts. It will not lay on the ground either.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Great. Thx. To clarify, the existing cable goes under the house. The new one will not. It will be approx. half the length outside, then approx. half inside. Same cable, no cuts. It will not lay on the ground either.
Up to you then. The underground is just usually a bit more robust.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Having done many Antenna and Satellite TV installs over the years, I'd prefer direct buried only if it's Quad Shield, but usually that's a bit pricey. Dual Shield is more prone to interference and never recommended for Satellite. I only use Quad Shield for Cable TV runs as well. If this is not buried, you need outdoor rated RG6 Quad Shield with compression F Type Connectors. I do like Belden Cables, but Parts Express don't have an outdoor rated Quad Shield.

This Audtek has a decent spec for $28 US:

Audtek RG-6/U Solid Copper 18 AWG Quad Shield CM Coax Cable 100 ft.

Don't worry if the cable is a bit long as the losses are much greater at the connection points (insertion losses) than an extra couple of feet. If you want to shield it from the weather, plastic pipe / conduit works great. The key to a good install is all about a continuous piece of cable with correctly installed compression type F connectors. I tend to use AquaTight F connectors, but I'm a bit of a nut on these installs as I only like to do them once.

I hope this is helpful.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Having done many Antenna and Satellite TV installs over the years, I'd prefer direct buried only if it's Quad Shield, but usually that's a bit pricey. Dual Shield is more prone to interference and never recommended for Satellite. I only use Quad Shield for Cable TV runs as well. If this is not buried, you need outdoor rated RG6 Quad Shield with compression F Type Connectors. I do like Belden Cables, but Parts Express don't have an outdoor rated Quad Shield.

This Audtek has a decent spec for $28 US:

Audtek RG-6/U Solid Copper 18 AWG Quad Shield CM Coax Cable 100 ft.

Don't worry if the cable is a bit long as the losses are much greater at the connection points (insertion losses) than an extra couple of feet. If you want to shield it from the weather, plastic pipe / conduit works great. The key to a good install is all about a continuous piece of cable with correctly installed compression type F connectors. I tend to use AquaTight F connectors, but I'm a bit of a nut on these installs as I only like to do them once.

I hope this is helpful.
Great info Jim. Thx a million!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Compression? What Cable are you going to use?
Having just read your comment, I will read it more carefully when I am ready to order and get what you recommend for the cable and connectors. My crimper is actually a cheapie, so I will likely get a better one.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Having just read your comment, I will read it more carefully when I am ready to order and get what you recommend for the cable and connectors. My crimper is actually a cheapie, so I will likely get a better one.
Also... I never heard the term compression for the tool. So I will look for that.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
As you seem to like Parts Express a bit, here's a kit they sell Parts Express Coaxial Cable Compression Connector Crimp Tool Kit for RG-6 and RG-59 but you can get similar at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon?, etc. Remember to make it a single run with no splices. And do a Rain / Drip Loop at the antenna end, and just before it enters the house.
Can you elaborate on the rain/drip loop? Is that a device or a method? The plan is for sure no cuts. Straight from the antenna to the TV.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Can you elaborate on the rain/drip loop? Is that a device or a method? The plan is for sure no cuts. Straight from the antenna to the TV.
A rain drip loop is a simple method of arranging outdoor wires of any type as it enters a building. Here's a simple diagram. There are many more examples here.
1648506410546.png

1648507206964.png

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

I just searched on Google and found the above. It's a bit larger than my preference but you get the idea. Actually their whole article isn't bad.

Tips for Coaxial Cable Wiring

If you are connecting the cable directly into a TV Tuner, and at all worried about a weak signal, don't terminate it at the wall box behind the TV as in the photos. Leave yourself enough slack to reach the TV easily from the wall, and don't use a wall-plate with an F coupler built in like this:

Go get a blank plate and drill a small hole in the middle the diameter of the RG6 Cable.

Then pass the cable through the plate, and then terminate it with a F connector Compression fitting. Double check for "stingers" (stray ground conductors touching the center conductor) and then connect to the TV. Every unnecessary connection point, splice, etc., add losses to your signal and will degrade the picture somewhat. They also add extra cost to your install.

I hope this is helpful.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Super helpful! With the connection from the antenna, I think I'll just spray it with Flex Seal with the new cable and connector. It is about 18' in the air. Too bad I have to work on it. I mounted a 3/4" steel conduit with a 1/2" pipe inside (I think those are the O.D.'s if I remember correctly) so that there would be limited sway from the wind, then I ran screws into the pipes to keep the inside one secure. Then mounted it super securely on my deck. It will suck to take it down, but oh well.

Attachments

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hey @Squishman, can you feed the cable down the middle of the pipe without it contacting any screws or rough edges? Then you can seal off the top with a "domed" blob of outdoor silicone to prevent water ingress. That way the cable is better protected, and it won't "rattle" in the wind. I did that on a 12 foot mast at our Cabin last summer for a Cell Phone Antenna. Worked great! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis