PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Is it all still a bunch of bs? I just made the leap into 4k and am learning so much. Like how most of my equipment needs to be updated.

I just bought a Panasonic DP-UB820-K and have a lg C1 OLED. Is it worth spending more on a hdmi cable? I've been running monoprice cables for a long time and have been happy. Maybe I should step up to Blue Jeans cable. I use the rca's and sub cable. Nice stuff!

So, to upgrade or not?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it all still a bunch of bs? I just made the leap into 4k and am learning so much. Like how most of my equipment needs to be updated.

I just bought a Panasonic DP-UB820-K and have a lg C1 OLED. Is it worth spending more on a hdmi cable? I've been running monoprice cables for a long time and have been happy. Maybe I should step up to Blue Jeans cable. I use the rca's and sub cable. Nice stuff!

So, to upgrade or not?
Let the TV upconvert the video- it will be far easier and it will save you a lot of money & frustration.

HDMI= Horribly Defective Multi-media Interface.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

So, to upgrade or not?
1) Why do you feel you need to upgrade the HDMI Cable, is their issues with picture quality?
2) How old is the HDMI Cable, (i.e. 1.4, 2.0, etc) You want a cable that is full Bandwith 18Gbs cable
3) How long is your cable run?

Unless you are going to do 120fps gaming on PS5/XB1SX, any decent HDMI 2.0 compatible cable will work. I use Monoprice with my Oppo 4k Blu Ray and Sony A80J.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

So, to upgrade or not?
Do you currently have HDMI 2.0 cables?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Let the TV upconvert the video- it will be far easier and it will save you a lot of money & frustration.

HDMI= Horribly Defective Multi-media Interface.
And how sir do you get the picture to the display?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
1) Why do you feel you need to upgrade the HDMI Cable, is their issues with picture quality?
2) How old is the HDMI Cable, (i.e. 1.4, 2.0, etc) You want a cable that is full Bandwith 18Gbs cable
3) How long is your cable run?

Unless you are going to do 120fps gaming on PS5/XB1SX, any decent HDMI 2.0 compatible cable will work. I use Monoprice with my Oppo 4k Blu Ray and Sony A80J.
All my cables are pre 4k

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW HDMI cables specs are based on capacity/bandwidth, not the hdmi hardware version numbers for things like avrs. If a cable is marketed purely on a hardware version hard to know what its actual capabilities are, but unfortunately many were marketed with just that info (altho that hardware version will have certain relevant spec). If putting in a wall I'd consider getting one with as high a bandwidth as possible, tho to allow for future "updates" without changing it out.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yip! Running that one for the computer already. Just thought maybe I should get a better quality cable.
What is better quality defined as? Does it actually function at some different level?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yip! Running that one for the computer already. Just thought maybe I should get a better quality cable.
Well you put "snake oil" in the title of your thread so I think you know what we'd tell you about expensive cables...

That Monoprice cable will work just as good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To summarize, cables work or they don't, higher cost won't necessarily help (but could be prettier)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And how sir do you get the picture to the display?
Read my post- #2. If the whole chain isn't at the same level, it's not guaranteed to work.

The things they're trying to get HDMI to do have gone so far past the original design it was time to shytecan it a long time ago. At first, it barely passed video AND audio reliably, then they added ethernet before raising that bar to high speed ethernet. Then, 2K and 3d came & went, 4K is kind of here and they're pushing 8K on the market. They need to get it to work as close as 100% at the lowest res before shoving more crap down our throats. I work with AV as my job and came up with that alternate acronym more than 15 years ago. It sucks and I don't see it getting better until the industry grows a set and tells Hollyweird to pound sand. HDMI only exists because those turds don't ant people copying their crappy movies which are generally 4th generation remakes with new people and special effects.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well, I spent $35 for a 10 foot Bluejeans cable. Maybe I'll return it and get the Monoprice version.

BlueJeans
BJC Series-FE Bonded-Pair High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, 10 Foot, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026O2T98/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_JZWKNSCSMEFQPN9MVAYY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mono
Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI Cable - Black - 10 Feet | 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCGKK82/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_CFCM6BZC64NZ9YPZV018?psc=1
There is nothing wrong with blue jeans cable. They are very good. I think when you say “high end” or “more expensive” most people are going to assume AudioQuest. I can speak from experience that purchasing AQ cables will not be worth the money and you will not notice anything different from the less expensive Blue Jeans or Monoprice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis