Can PS Audio Make a Flagship Level Perfoming Loudspeaker?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
.......Trying to see if he builds em in China or America.
It's sad you don't know that already. Are you the same person that keeps defending Danny from GR research?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
It's sad you don't know that already. Are you the same person that keeps defending Danny from GR research?

I really don't know who the f is D Murphy with an empty profile and that sure ain't all that sad.. I sure like Danny's speakers. In fact, his NX Otica speakers that I recently built for a miniscule cost sounds better to me than most sht I heard at RMAF. Defending Danny? I don't care who he is in life or if he's polka dancing with his cables wrapped around him.

On the same note, why are you "defending" D Murphy? Who is this apparently wonderful savior of yours and what great thing did he do for you?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I really don't know who the f is D Murphy with an empty profile and that sure ain't all that sad.. I sure like Danny's speakers. In fact, his NX Otica speakers that I recently built for a miniscule cost sounds better to me than most sht I heard at RMAF. Defending Danny? I don't care who he is in life or if he's polka dancing with his cables wrapped around him.

On the same note, why are you "defending" D Murphy? Who is this apparently wonderful savior of yours and what great thing did he do for you?
that's freaking hilarious. I dare you to find one post of mine that even discussed D Murphy or praises him? I dare you. I don't own his speakers, never have and most likely never will. What he did is not something I'm into. You are really, really ridiculous.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
that's freaking hilarious. I dare you to find one post of mine that even discussed D Murphy or praises him? I dare you. I don't own his speakers, never have and most likely never will. What he did is not something I'm into. You are really, really ridiculous.

Spare me the suspense pretty please. What speaker manufacturer is he associated with? Let me have a healthy whiff at his website, speakers, pricing structure, etc

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Spare me the suspense pretty please. What speaker manufacturer is he associated with? Let me have a healthy whiff at his website, speakers, pricing structure, etc
Like I said, you are really ridiculous. Did you find a post of mine praising Murphy or his speakers? You didn't because it doesn't exist. You accused me of something, now back it up.
I don't own his speakers and never will. I'm not into 2 channel stereo, I'm a home theater guy.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

You react in such a classless way. It says volumes about you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
You react in such a classless way. It says volumes about you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Right, right, Here we go again...Another guy springs up talking about class all of a sudden! Yeah, i think i have a pretty good idea of how classy a segment of this forum's members are/have been...I can link specific past threads and you will can see how classy all these boys are...There's even one old racist fk on this website spouting vile sht about Chinese people (whom he may never have met in real life) and i'm surprised he still looms large here. I am sure the sponsors of this forum would be glad to see the grand quality of this segment of its member base.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He touts a lot of snake oil but I have to admit he has a likeable personality on Youtube. Why not cover the speaker? It's expensive, it looks pretty cool and I am intrigued to hear it. Hey I like exotic cables too but I know that they don't do jack squat to improve the fidelity over inexpensive low gauge multi-stranded wire.
I agree. You're only covering it, it's not like you're endorsing his crap. I'll even go out on a limb and guess he might build a good sounding speaker, if chock-full of snake oil and overpriced, it might still sound good.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. You're only covering it, it's not like you're endorsing his crap. I'll even go out on a limb and guess he might build a good sounding speaker, if chock-full of snake oil and overpriced, it might still sound good.
Agree with a pretty huge emphasis on MIGHT.

Considering my mains use the BG Neo8, and PSAudio's Tweeter and Mid were designed by a former BG VP of Engineering (or at least he assisted in the design), I'm admittedly intrigued. But there is still so much that could also go wrong in the implementation of two possibly well designed Drivers.

I hope we get to see a review with measurements from somebody capable and trustworthy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

D Murphy is a highly regarded speaker designer with decades of experience designing everything from budget to boutique speakers. He's behind some of the most accurate, best measuring speakers in the world at any price. His designs hold their value and you rarely see them for resale.

Why are you so crappy and insulting with everyone? Seriously. I don't get it. You don't seem to like anyone and disagree with a lot of the general wisdom here. You don't seem very interested in different perspectives or making any friends. In fact you seem to go out of your way to go the other direction...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I just would like to say I don't think there is a doubt these speakers sound good. I don't even have problem with the price, there are more expensive speakers out there, who cares. The only issue I have with PS Audio is pushing very expensive cable crap. I guess that shouldn't either if you really spend 10 grand on cables god bless but there is no science behind the claims and I hope every day people don't fall for this stuff.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Why are my ears burning?;) These “?” threads are genius.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just would like to say I don't think there is a doubt these speakers sound good. I don't even have problem with the price, there are more expensive speakers out there, who cares. The only issue I have with PS Audio is pushing very expensive cable crap. I guess that shouldn't either if you really spend 10 grand on cables god bless but there is no science behind the claims and I hope every day people don't fall for this stuff.

Friend Het, I would only counter by stating that in theory, one would expect any Speaker of this type of pedigree to sound great, but that isn't always the case. Wilson gets used fairly often as a punching bag, and while I haven't heard them myself, I heard enough random tidbits from different sources making question if they really are worth anything at all.
Designing and selling an expensive Speaker isn't just about making it sound good, I'm afraid. It's about marketing more than anything else. The people that don't dazzle you with all the BS only sell at $10K or below, after all.
The moral: BS is a rare earth commodity commanding thousands per milligram! :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Friend Het, I would only counter by stating that in theory, one would expect any Speaker of this type of pedigree to sound great, but that isn't always the case. Wilson gets used fairly often as a punching bag, and while I haven't heard them myself, I heard enough random tidbits from different sources making question if they really are worth anything at all.
Designing and selling an expensive Speaker isn't just about making it sound good, I'm afraid. It's about marketing more than anything else. The people that don't dazzle you with all the BS only sell at $10K or below, after all.
The moral: BS is a rare earth commodity commanding thousands per milligram! :p
That's true, I should have said these should sound good. They don't seem to be geared towards home theater but 2 channel stereo. That's out of my comfort zone but point taken, should sound great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right, right, Here we go again...Another guy springs up talking about class all of a sudden! Yeah, i think i have a pretty good idea of how classy a segment of this forum's members are/have been...I can link specific past threads and you will can see how classy all these boys are...There's even one old racist fk on this website spouting vile sht about Chinese people (whom he may never have met in real life) and i'm surprised he still looms large here. I am sure the sponsors of this forum would be glad to see the grand quality of this segment of its member base.
LOL Dennis has credibility, something you lack entirely from your posts. Dennis is Philharmonic Audio and designs crossovers for Salk Sound. Go ahead, sh*t on that now.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
They're built in China. That was my point. I know what the Chinese charge. It's way less than what it would cost to replicate in the U.S., but it ain't cheap if you're talking about genuinely upscale production, and particularly for cabinets as large as PS Audio is using. But none of this really matters. The PS Audio cabinets look great. They're free to charge any price they want as long as they aren't misrepresenting their product. It's strictly a matter of whether the sound justifies the price for any given buyer.
So, I hear that you are the Philharmonic guy and i haven't had/heard any of your speakers yet. But, do you hear yourself? If a guy put "12 coats of clear" and made a pretty li'l box, i repeat, a freaking box, the price goes up to the equivalent of a car!!?? I suppose you know what goes into engineering a car. Does a box with a couple of drivers compare (even remotely)? If that's your stance, I guess you've got enough of a client base that doesn't understanding anything about value or economics. Last i heard, Wilson puts a couple of hundred dollar drivers from Focal into their flagship which retails for over 135k. I guess the Wilson snake oil peddler can't even engineer a driver of his own.

I'll tell you what i did recently. I just put together a DIY "open baffle" speaker kit and flatpacks from a fairly knowledgeable speaker designer for about 3000 bucks. He isn't all that popular around here because he seems to swear by a couple of cables he sells. But, i seem to like him when i think about the great sound and immense cost savings he granted me recently....Hmmmm, no thanks, you guys keep churning out the fancy boxes with whatever voodoo you worked to keep the "cabinet resonances" at bay (which isn't much at all from the looks of it) and to make it look all pretty. I'll just keep mine open baffle for now. I may add "12 coats of clear" later on in my garage/shop, lol, though it looks really pretty without it too. I guess i could even sell it to an audiophool for the price of a car then? Eitherway, sonically, i know what i've got.

Good luck to you and Paul McGowan. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So, I hear that you are the Philharmonic guy and i haven't had/heard any of your speakers yet. But, do you hear yourself? If a guy put "12 coats of clear" and made a pretty li'l box, i repeat, a freaking box, the price goes up to the equivalent of a car!!?? I suppose you know what goes into engineering a car. Does a box with a couple of drivers compare (even remotely)? If that's your stance, I guess you've got enough of a client base that doesn't understanding anything about value or economics. Last i heard, Wilson puts a couple of hundred dollar drivers from Focal into their flagship which retails for over 135k. I guess the Wilson snake oil peddler can't even engineer a driver of his own.

I'll tell you what i did recently. I just put together a DIY "open baffle" speaker kit and flatpacks from a fairly knowledgeable speaker designer for about 3000 bucks. He isn't all that popular around here because he seems to swear by a couple of cables he sells. But, i seem to like him when i think about the great sound and immense cost savings he granted me recently....Hmmmm, no thanks, you guys keep churning out the fancy boxes with whatever voodoo you worked to keep the "cabinet resonances" at bay (which isn't much at all from the looks of it) and to make it look all pretty. I'll just keep mine open baffle for now. I may add "12 coats of clear" later on in my garage/shop, lol, though it looks really pretty without it too. I guess i could even sell it to an audiophool for the price of a car then? Eitherway, sonically, i know what i've got.

Good luck to you and Paul McGowan. :)
You are a fan of Danny from GR research and you call someone else an audiophool? Now that's the best one yet from you.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
You are a fan of Danny from GR research and you call someone else an audiophool? Now that's the best one yet from you.

I'll tell you what i'll do with 28k.... Hmmm, i might just start building an extension to my house...a dedicated sonically splendid music room....add some sq.footage in the process and make the value of my house go up. You know what you should do? Buy yourself a fancy "anti-resonant" box with 20 coats of clear from the likes of BS Audio/Bhilharmonic/Bilson Audio, etc for 28k and plop it down in a shite room (acoustically) like the rest of the audiophools. Like a good li'l audiophool, you'll fix it all up with Dirac indeed, lol. And then, do the audiophool wobble dance/tap your toes/toe dance, etc to that glowing anti-resonant 20 clear coat box with drivers from a 3rd party.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'll tell you what i'll do with 28k.... Hmmm, i might just start building an extension to my house...a dedicated sonically splendid music room....add some sq.footage in the process and make the value of my house go up. You know what you should do? Buy yourself a fancy "anti-resonant" box with 20 coats of clear from the likes of BS Audio/Bhilharmonic/Bilson Audio, etc for 28k and plop it down in a shite room (acoustically) like the rest of the audiophools. Like a good li'l audiophool, you'll fix it all up with Dirac indeed, lol. And then, do the audiophool wobble dance/tap your toes/toe dance, etc to that glowing anti-resonant 20 clear coat box with drivers from a 3rd party.
Thanks for the advice. There really is something wrong with you. Seem professional help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis