Linear Power Supply with audio-grade Caps is any better than similar high-quality caps?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
LOL I have a friend I sold a Bose Acoustimass system a long time ago to....I got a great deal due to a friend of mine having a commercial Bose installation at a club and they were trying to promote the Acoustimass thing at the time.....I listened for a coupla weeks and didn't like it at all compared to the better speakers I already had at the time and sold them to a friend....but he likes them due to aesthetics and then he married a Bose fan and she just added to it....it sounds horrible but what can you do? She will not entertain changes and he is p....whipped.
I could think of worse things to be whipped with ....... :eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A reasonably priced electrolytic capacitor from a reliable brand is all that is required in a power supply.

As for the audio path, a reasonably priced polypropylene cap from a reliable manufacturer is all that is required. More expensive stuff is audiophoolry just like expensive cables and does not provide any better SQ, but more profit for the dishonest manufacturers and dealers.
Higher end caps tend to be tighter tolerances and lower ESR, both of which are nice to have.

Basically, if I am building my own power supply, I tend to source the nicer components up to a point. It's just the deal of the value of my time and labor means I use very good parts too. Not necessarily the expensive parts, just good parts in general for the $.

And, I can tell you that Dayton Audio has some very nice components! Almost certainly coming off the same line as more prestigious brands.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
To clarify 1 item, an Unregulated Linear Power Supply is indeed the best selection for a power amp.

When we get to ICs in general (DACs, Processors, Pre-amps), then we need to be looking at a regulated power supply instead.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Higher end caps tend to be tighter tolerances and lower ESR, both of which are nice to have.

Basically, if I am building my own power supply, I tend to source the nicer components up to a point. It's just the deal of the value of my time and labor means I use very good parts too. Not necessarily the expensive parts, just good parts in general for the $.

And, I can tell you that Dayton Audio has some very nice components! Almost certainly coming off the same line as more prestigious brands.
They also sell the Solen caps which are among the best products on the market. Solen also markets expensive caps but TLSGuy and I use their polypropylene ones for building passive crossovers:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes! It’s mine! I’m looking for better answer with measurements and such!
If Amirm stated he measured, I would trust his statement. Yes, you want to show a bench test. Ask him if he has such charts he can post.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I did tried to convince my friend doing blind testing to hear the difference btw his $2k power supply cord vs $2 one and he failed. After that test, he got angry and refused to do futher blind test with usb cable, ethernet cable changing. So sad!
My approach is more of scientific. I need more people to do blind testing to collect statistic data. Only that way I can prove them wrong!
Good luck on getting more tests. Historically there are DBT test on other, more important components.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I said same thing! I told my friend that he actually wasting his money! But he never listens!
If you want to continue your friendship abandon your efforts with him. He will never change. His belief system is unshakeable, it seems.
You just have to look around as there are lots of people like him on many different things.

D

Ducnguyen2k10

Audiophyte
If you want to continue your friendship abandon your efforts with him. He will never change. His belief system is unshakeable, it seems.
You just have to look around as there are lots of people like him on many different things.
Indeed! You’re right!

highfigh

highfigh

Does anyone have a recommendation for an audiophile-grade network switch? I use dial-up, to make sure the data doesn't come in too fast.

;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did tried to convince my friend doing blind testing to hear the difference btw his $2k power supply cord vs $2 one and he failed. After that test, he got angry and refused to do futher blind test with usb cable, ethernet cable changing. So sad!
My approach is more of scientific. I need more people to do blind testing to collect statistic data. Only that way I can prove them wrong!
Wait, your friend failed a blind test and still refuses to acknowledge it?

That's so typical.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a big online fight with this guy making so-called “hi-end” linear power supply.
I said the capacitors he’s using in his LPS should not provide better DC output than the same parameter capacitors!
I challenged him to show the oscilioscope of his LPS DC output measurement but he tried to avoid.
I don’t see the neccesity to use audio-grade capacitors in the LPS.
Additionally, this guy and some of his friends argued that LPS is essential and should improve SQ when using to power ethernet switch, and DC-powered equipments in the chain of audio system.
Does anyone here has experience and knowleage to prove me wrong!?
You wouldnt be on canuckaudiomart.com per chance? There a huge number of dirtbags on that sight believing in audiophilia with the same lame argurments.

highfigh

highfigh

Wait, your friend failed a blind test and still refuses to acknowledge it?

That's so typical.
Would you want to admit that you pissed away two grand on a power cord that didn't make a difference? Would you want to reveal that test result to a significant other?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you want to admit that you pissed away two grand on a power cord that didn't make a difference? Would you want to reveal that test result to a significant other?
No, but I'd like to do it for him! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What kills me is they're so in love with their beliefs that they're engaging in an active denial of reality. You just did the blind test and did no better than chance. Clearly these doodads and esoteric cables have no effect that you can discern one way or the other. That's the reality.

DENIED!

highfigh

highfigh

What kills me is they're so in love with their beliefs that they're engaging in an active denial of reality. You just did the blind test and did no better than chance. Clearly these doodads and esoteric cables have no effect that you can discern one way or the other. That's the reality.

DENIED!
That's just human nature. Ever talk to a golfer who just bought new clubs?

Someone who worked for the same company I did announced that his old clubs were for sale when we were at a manager's meeting. I asked what they were and how much and he said they were some Titleist model, asking $900. I asked about his handicap and when he told me it was 22, I told him "Take some lessons- it's not the clubs". A friend from high school apparently can't putt to save his life, so he buys a lot of putters. Must have 50 in the stand he keeps in the basement. One of my customers has sets of clubs in his basement- I didn't count, but there must be close to a dozen sets and I found another behind a drain pipe on a shelf yesterday when I was organizing some cables. His golf pro must love that.

I bought my clubs in 1979 and I still like them. I have hit great shots, good shots and crap shots but the only thing that changes is my swing or rarely, the grips. My putter is probably 40 years old and it's the same story but I have had far more problems with that than the other clubs. Again, I changed something about my putting grip, stance or stroke and it made the difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis