Help me fix my overhead Atmos problem

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy had a post I was trying to reply to here, but it disappeared. Weird.

Anyway, as long as the ceiling is flat IE not a popcorn ceiling, it's an easy fix to repair the drywall.
Ha ha. I just realized that Dan had already solved his ceiling speaker.

Would you cut out a piece of sheetrock and fit it into the ceiling hole and then use the sheetrock compound paste or how would you do it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@AcuDefTechGuy had a post I was trying to reply to here, but it disappeared. Weird.

Anyway, as long as the ceiling is flat IE not a popcorn ceiling, it's an easy fix to repair the drywall.
Yeah it's not a popcorn ceiling but with my work schedule right now things are just crazy I'd rather fit new ones in instead of having to repair the drywall reinstall and then repaint. Even having someone come to do it can be a pain because I'll need to be here to let them in and my hospital is slammed thanks to Omnicron. We had 19 callouts the other day that's enough staff to staff 5 of our units I'm getting my butt worked off literally :D

So I just want to get something up there and I think the Focal will work good at least I hope so Lol.

Then after Omnicron peaks and things calm down I'm taking some serious time off and going to enjoy that room :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah it's not a popcorn ceiling but with my work schedule right now things are just crazy I'd rather fit new ones in instead of having to repair the drywall reinstall and then repaint. Even having someone come to do it can be a pain because I'll need to be here to let them in and my hospital is slammed thanks to Omnicron. We had 19 callouts the other day that's enough staff to staff 5 of our units I'm getting my butt worked off literally :D

So I just want to get something up there and I think the Focal will work good at least I hope so Lol.

Then after Omnicron peaks and things calm down I'm taking some serious time off and going to enjoy that room :D
After Omicron peaks and we all get our Omicron Vaccine (4th one now), you can have a small breather for about 6 months before the NEXT COVID-variant outbreak (and the 5th Vaccine). :eek: :D

There's gonna be a new COVID mutation every damn year. :(

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Ha ha. I just realized that Dan had already solved his ceiling speaker.

Would you cut out a piece of sheetrock and fit it into the ceiling hole and then use the sheetrock compound paste or how would you do it?
Pretty much.

The only other thing you'd need would be a piece of backing to screw the new piece into. Either another smaller piece of drywall, or some short pieces of 1×6. Slap a little drywall compound on it to the fill joints. Smooth it out with a puty knife. Give it a little sand and a couple coats of paint. Voila. No more hole(s).

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
And speaking of the old COVID, I'm currently sitting in my HT room watching "American Sniper" on Netflix as I'm in a 5 day quarantine/isolation as I tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday. Pretty mild symptoms so far, kind of like a mild flu/bad cold. This thing needs to go away.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And speaking of the old COVID, I'm currently sitting in my HT room watching "American Sniper" on Netflix as I'm in a 5 day quarantine/isolation as I tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday. Pretty mild symptoms so far, kind of like a mild flu/bad cold. This thing needs to go away.
Get better soon. But, yeah, thank God for our HT rooms. :D

A

aceinc1

Enthusiast
Change it from a bug into a feature. What if you were to cut a piece of nice wood bigger than the existing hole, round over the sides to minimize diffraction, cut a hole for the new preferred driver in the wood, finish with stain or paint to taste and mount that.

Instead of hiding the ceiling speakers they would become a decorative part of the ceiling.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Change it from a bug into a feature. What if you were to cut a piece of nice wood bigger than the existing hole, round over the sides to minimize diffraction, cut a hole of the new preferred driver in the wood, finish with stain or paint to taste and mount that.

Instead of hiding the ceiling speakers they would become a decorative part of the ceiling.
That's not a bad idea thanks!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going to attach this drawing and then get advice please view the picture I have attached above this drawing to better understand it
Atmos layout _220131_003102.jpg

This is very crude but hopefully it does the jpb and ecplains my situation. . As you can see in the room pic I have 2 rows of seats. The overheads aren't right on top of both rows but they are closer then I'd like them to be as the crude drawing is trying to demonstrate the boxes with AS are atmos speakers so you can get an idea.

When these speakers come in

g0913HC5LCR-F-1.jpg

I have 2 options

Option one place them with the tweeter and mid facing forward to the back and the front. If they were far enough back from the 2 rows I'd happily do this

Or option 2 install them with the tweeter and mid facing in towards each row and the right side facing towards the rows from the right the left side facing in towards the left and then angle the mids and tweets to cover the rows since the tweeter and mid plate are completely movable for adjustment

Is option #2 a viable option?

Thanks in advance

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis