Monoprice HTP-1 on HOLD/Backordered, 12-2022???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now you've made me curious, what speakers and amp that are matched by brand (let alone "wattage")? If you have specific eq now, how would Dirac or Audyssey or any other eq program work with that?

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
The speakers are from Bose commercial series. The LCR will be RoomMatch Utility loudspeakers that don't need specific EQ, just band pass filters for lows and highs. These speakers have 8" woofers and compression drivers for the highs. These require quite a bit of power. The surrounds will be from the Bose Designmax series. DM3SE speakers x 4 for the front and rear height channels. Then 3 pair of the DM6SE speakers for the wides, LR surround and rear LR sourrounds. All surface mount speakers. These speakers benefit from 'active EQ' for high and low pass filters as well as specific "speaker tuning" EQ that will be provided by the PowerMatch PM8500N (8 channel) amplifier. The presets for EQ have 9 bands of fully parametric EQ. The Dirac will EQ the room, not the speaker. Dirac will likely be in the processor, not separately.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speakers are from Bose commercial series. The LCR will be RoomMatch Utility loudspeakers that don't need specific EQ, just band pass filters for lows and highs. These speakers have 8" woofers and compression drivers for the highs. These require quite a bit of power. The surrounds will be from the Bose Designmax series. DM3SE speakers x 4 for the front and rear height channels. Then 3 pair of the DM6SE speakers for the wides, LR surround and rear LR sourrounds. All surface mount speakers. These speakers benefit from 'active EQ' for high and low pass filters as well as specific "speaker tuning" EQ that will be provided by the PowerMatch PM8500N (8 channel) amplifier. The presets for EQ have 9 bands of fully parametric EQ. The Dirac will EQ the room, not the speaker. Dirac will likely be in the processor, not separately.
Interesting, can't say I've heard of such a setup before....what's the cost on that setup?

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
Way more than anyone should spend on a home theater.

Speakers

RMU108 $1,102 each
x 2 = $2,204
(Front LR)

RMU208 $1,356 each
x 1 (center channel)

DM3SE - $238 each
x 4 = $952
(Atmos Heights)

DM6SE - $474 each
x 6 = $2,844
(Front wide LR, Surround LR, Rear Surr LR)

Speakers
Total - $7,356

Amp for surrounds only
PM8500N - $5,056.00

LCR will be powered by Crown DCi amps. (already own the amps)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Way more than anyone should spend on a home theater.

Speakers

RMU108 $1,102 each
x 2 = $2,204
(Front LR)

RMU208 $1,356 each
x 1 (center channel)

DM3SE - $238 each
x 4 = $952
(Atmos Heights)

DM6SE - $474 each
x 6 = $2,844
(Front wide LR, Surround LR, Rear Surr LR)

Speakers
Total - $7,356

Amp for surrounds only
PM8500N - $5,056.00

LCR will be powered by Crown DCi amps. (already own the amps)
So you had a chance to demo the Bose in a commercial environment or some installation somewhere first? Had a friend whose FIL bought a bar/club and had new Bose pro gear installed....it sounded pretty good but it certainly wasn't a home install either. Same time they got some discounts on Bose consumer gear, the Acoustimass stuff had just come out, got one of those and sold it pretty quick :) altho my friend who bought it still uses it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
J

jhaider

Audioholic Intern
I always ask the SAME question every time someone says they have 15 speakers + subs. So....what is the dimensions of your room? :D
It’s not hard to blow up the speaker count with immersive and multisubs. We’re running 15 speakers/subs (7.1.4 with 3 subs) in a 20’ x 15’ x 9’ family room. Heights are in the ceiling, sides and rears are tall but shallow and skinny on walls (JBL CBT arrays), and subwoofers are either built into custom furniture or custom built to blend in with custom furniture. It is hard to do immersive in a multipurpose room with all off-the-shelf stuff and keep it looking nice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s not hard to blow up the speaker count with immersive and multisubs. We’re running 15 speakers/subs (7.1.4 with 3 subs) in a 20’ x 15’ x 9’ family room. Heights are in the ceiling, sides and rears are tall but shallow and skinny on walls (JBL CBT arrays), and subwoofers are either built into custom furniture or custom built to blend in with custom furniture. It is hard to do immersive in a multipurpose room with all off-the-shelf stuff and keep it looking nice.
It’s a personal preference regarding how many speakers/subs we want to fit in our rooms. No right or wrong, just curious.

Of course, the size of the speakers and subs and placements (on floor vs on wall vs ceiling) also make a significant difference.

If each speaker is a 60”-70” tower or each sub measures 24” wide, fitting them into the room will be more interesting.

And having speakers and subs in-wall, on-wall, in-ceiling and in-cabinet definitely makes it easier to fit more speakers in the room.

For a 20’ room, I can see going with 5.x.4 or 7.x.4.

Depending on the size of the speakers, I just think it’s overkill doing 9.x.6 in a 20’ room if using bigger speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a good size family room though for 7.1.4. The OP's has low ceiling of 7 ft so I am not sure if 4 or more height speakers would give him more "immersive" experience.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
Looks like the on-axis of the Bose speaker is about +/-5dB.

Not sure if Dirac or any Room EQ is gonna be able to make it more linear, if that is the goal of Dirac.

And if you prefer the sound of +/-5dB, not sure if you WANT Dirac or any Room EQ to FLATEN the response, even if they could do it.

The RMU108's will be for the front speakers. I don't necessarily think I need to EQ them at all... but they need more power than a typical AV receiver. DIRAC may or may not come into play. It's a nice feature to have for room correction though. I plan to design and treat the room as best as I can for acoustics, this will include Absorption on the ceiling and diffusion on the back wall and more. Again, not trying to "flatten" the response of the RMU's. But the surrounds and height speakers will need some EQ before any room adjustment EQ. Dirac will likely just be 'the icing' on the cake. Haven't gotten that far anyway.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
That's a good size family room though for 7.1.4. The OP's has low ceiling of 7 ft so I am not sure if 4 or more height speakers would give him more "immersive" experience.
With low ceilings, I had considered just a 7.4.2 setup... just hard to know ahead of time what may or may not work... the front LCR are pretty big speakers, so the "wides" may or may not really be necessary. But, I've listened to Anthony Grimani on the Audioholics youtube and other podcast type appearances talking about how it's usually better than Atmos Heights in lots of mixes. Again, still not sure exactly which way to go yet.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
I'd you're looking at the Emotiva anyway TS, you might as well check out the ToneWinner AT-300. It's made by the same OEM that makes Emotiva, but it's ~1/2 the price. 9.3.4

IMHO...OEM products leave a bit to be desired on the 'support' side. Also tend to be a bit light on setup features... I might just wait for the HTP-1 to become available. It has the best reviews and features in my research so far...

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
IMHO...OEM products leave a bit to be desired on the 'support' side. Also tend to be a bit light on setup features... I might just wait for the HTP-1 to become available. It has the best reviews and features in my research so far...
I bought one myself. The support, and customer service, has been nothing short of the best I've ever had/seen.

If you get the chance, read a bit of that thread I linked. It's (basically) a beta product, but they're really on top of the ball with customer service and software updates. So far,I've been very happy with it. It's also my first step/foray/taste of seperates and eventually I'll upgrade to something more high end. But for now, it's more than serving it's purpose.

Summit Hi-Fi is the guy selling them in Canada and the US. Aamir is the owners name. Even if you haven't purchased from him, he's more than happy to help you out and talk to you about any questions you might have.

Anyway, best of luck whichever one you choose.

Cheers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought one myself. The support, and customer service, has been nothing short of the best I've ever had/seen.

If you get the chance, read a bit of that thread I linked. It's (basically) a beta product, but they're really on top of the ball with customer service and software updates. So far,I've been very happy with it. It's also my first step/foray/taste of seperates and eventually I'll upgrade to something more high end. But for now, it's more than serving it's purpose.

Summit Hi-Fi is the guy selling them in Canada and the US. Aamir is the owners name. Even if you haven't purchased from him, he's more than happy to help you out and talk to you about any questions you might have.

Anyway, best of luck whichever one you choose.

Cheers.
I was more wondering how long term support is from this Amir/Summit Hifi outfit....not confidence inspiring to have a retailer act in the other roles without other support in the country....

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Any measurements from ASR or anywhere else that show THD+N, Crosstalk, etc.?
Not that I'm aware of. If I had the extra $$$$ laying around, I'd order a 2nd one and have it sent it to get it measured.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I was more wondering how long term support is from this Amir/Summit Hifi outfit....not confidence inspiring to have a retailer act in the other roles without other support in the country....
I guess we'll find out. But thus far, he's definitely gone above and beyond so that's a good sign.

So far, I've been pretty impressed with the unit on a strictly subjective level. Coming from a Yamaha RX-A2040 circa 2015, my impressions of the AT-300 thus far:

- Nice build quality
- Clear channel separation
- Very detailed level of customization (11 bands of EQ on each channel)
- Louder tighter bass
- Clearer sound

Of course that's all subjective, and not to say the until doesn't have its quirks. So far though, the positives have outweighed the negatives.

It's worth checking out for someone on a budget (even if that's just self imposed like myself), that's looking to get into the world of seperates.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess we'll find out. But thus far, he's definitely gone above and beyond so that's a good sign.

So far, I've been pretty impressed with the unit on a strictly subjective level. Coming from a Yamaha RX-A2040 circa 2015, my impressions of the AT-300 thus far:

- Nice build quality
- Clear channel separation
- Very detailed level of customization (11 bands of EQ on each channel)
- Louder tighter bass
- Clearer sound

Of course that's all subjective, and not to say the until doesn't have its quirks. So far though, the positives have outweighed the negatives.

It's worth checking out for someone on a budget (even if that's just self imposed like myself), that's looking to get into the world of seperates.
"The world of separates" means what?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis